Did the ancient vikings have hair trimmers?

Did the ancient vikings have hair trimmers?

I mean listen it's a good production, I admit I like this series, but why the fuck do you do such obnoxious mistakes?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/vQBfNoi28Z4?t=6m35s
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Shaving the sides and/or back of your head was fairly common through out medieval Europe.
Vikings actually had razors that looked like little battle axes, no joke.

>did vikings have hair trimmers
Probably. What, you think they could make swords but not shaving implements?

>why the fuck do you do such obnoxious mistakes
Why the fuck are some of the vikings wearing black biker leather? Why the fuck are they wearing leather armor at all when next to no evidence exists of it in the historical record? Why the fuck is that one dude wearing a sword on his back, when it's impossible to draw a sword from the back? Etc. Etc. Productions make obnoxious mistakes in clothing, equipment all the time.

That looks like a fade thats grown out on the left though. Shit. I meant

He wears it on his back when he's not expecting actual battle. He moves the belt and sheath to his hips when he goes in to battle. Otherwise he mostly just cuddles and and cradles it.

That's all I got

ye, for example the normans had pretty nutty haircuts, but there's no way you'd be able to do a taper/fade.
also, the way his hair is cut and styled on top, just no possible without modern scissors and hair product.

>it's impossible to draw a sword from the back
Is this true? Even a short sword?

Yes it's true.

Original manbun incoming

Vikings and earlier cultures had all sorts of razors, scissors etc. especially romans (earlier then Vikings) had very fancy hairstyles and used a huge variety of different tools, like hot scissors to achieve a certain type of locks. Have a look at portraits of fat neckbeard Nero, he had a haircut every week and the haircut on this portrait was probably very fashionable at this time.

Source: I‘m a archaeology student.

Shears and razors yes. Standard would be to shave parts of it periodically for dandruff control (and also because there weren't enough men or gay women to trim your hair properly during voyages). No one went full shave though because that was for slaves. Guy in your pic is obviously impossible (they didn't do good fades) but the styles from earlier season are all pretty realistic. They may look exaggerated, but the norse allegedly worse pretty exaggerated hair much like african tribes do today.

Wearing a christian longsword on your side all the time would be uncomfortable, and the christians wore their swords all the time to show status (swords were for rich people, especially ones adorned with decorative crosses). The christian sword on back thing wouldn't be for combat, it would be a way of saying "look at me I'm a rich holy warrior". The weight would justify wearing it as a backpack. As for the black leather, almost all leather was tarred or greased making it dark brown and smelly. It's true though the norse did not wear much leather because they seem to only have known how to make soft leather (no cuir bouilli) for accessories like sheathes and belts.

It is possible without product. No poo for long enough makes your hair look like you're wearing wax.

it would need to be a very short sword

youtu.be/vQBfNoi28Z4?t=6m35s

There are no depictions of people carrying swords on their back, anywhere, and people back then would just change the angle the sword was carried at, and if the sword simply became too big they would just cradle it

Also the process of making leather was very foul smelling but the leather itself didn't carry much miasma over, and tanning it didn't affect the color that much, in fact leather was dyed quite often, just like every other article of clothing. Back then everyone wore vibrant colors, black and dark colors were actually considered distasteful in most of europe

What is your source for this information on the christian sword on the back thing, it sounds so specific yet I have never seen evidence of it or seen it even mentioned anywhere. Also swords on the site aren't uncomfortable? Having this stiff long thing strapped to your back is pretty uncomfortable though I can tell you from experience.

A lot of long distance marching formations did this, carrying the sword as part of their pack. I guess my source is going to a war museum that let you carry a pack to feel the weight. Obviously not combat ready formations. Also vikings is set in the mid 800's, before the longer medieval swords were used. It is true MEDIEVAL knights never wore their LONGSWORDS on the back for COMBAT, since you'd have to throw the thing on the ground or risk cutting your hand to draw it quickly. As status symbols, people would wear their swords as accessories for picking up ladies and shit since swords were extremely expensive in the 800's. As such I'd wager wielding your sword combat ready to a tavern would be perceived as threatening, but wielding it stowed on your back would not be since you couldn't deploy it instantly. It also wouldn't make any sense to have such a status symbol, know how to pack it for transport, and then not show it off. I also don't understand how you could find wearing weight as a backpack uncomfortable, but having a metal rod slapping your leg and chafing your waist every step is not.

Regarding tarred leather it will look black. That said waxing, or a combination, is more common for waterproofing (which makes the leather dark brown/near black depending on wax used and how long ago it was applied). The colour of their leather is still pretty accurate unlike most LARPers that assume the leather should be light brown since modern stamping can seal light brown leather. This should not be confused with tanning which is a one time treatment of animal hides. Also AFAIK leather was very hard to dye AND keep water proof. Black wasn't vulgar per se (it was a common colour in nobility), but generally undyed materials meant you were poor, and colours that could easily hide stains meant that you had to get filthy often (like dark colours that are not purely black).

scissors exist since 3-4000 years. You could twchnically do a fade with those. provided they were sharp enough and they alread knew how to do it. Might not have been perfec, but not i possible.
Pic related, from the 2nd century.

>A lot of long distance marching formations did this...
no they didn't. they were carried in carriages and on horses, or by servants. also you can't unseath a sword that is on your back, and longswords didn't even exist in 800.

no one wore their swords on their back

>or by servants
proper feudal squires had not been established systematically in the isles in the 800's because the arms race had not yet developed into the armouring and weaponry that would require any such. The specified squire boy was a requirement only later when proper plate armour and long zweihänders necessitated such. In the 800's we know armies could march for days, partially ready for ambushes but not in combat formation. In such cases, it is likely swords were indeed worn over the shoulder for comfort.

>also you can't unseath a sword that is on your back
You can if you do it slowly and carefully, but you can not unsheath a long sworm in a combat effective manner no.

>longswords didn't even exist in 800
That's what I said.

No one wore their swords on their back IN COMBAT READY formation no.

>it is likely swords were indeed worn over the shoulder for comfort.
do you have any sources supporting this claim?

wealthy vikings most definitely had servants, thralls etc. i wasn't talking about mediaeval squires. also here you clearly refered to "christian longswords" not just single handed viking swords

>You can if you do it slowly and carefully, but you can not unsheath a long sworm in a combat effective manner no.
also about practicality: wouldn't it be quicker and easier in a ambush to pick up your sword from a carriage?

It's a fantasy tv series with some TnA. Fuckall to do with historical accurary.

That's it, don't worry too much about it.