Hi Veeky Forums

Hi Veeky Forums
I got a credit card, first timer. $1000 limit, no annual fee. So far I've paid it fully every month and never paid interests. Now, every site out there tells me I shouldn't buy anything that I can't pay fully in a month - most of them ride on how terrible snowballing is and how you should never let it slide, so you must only use your card as a soft credit rather than go ballistic

Now, I want to buy an oscilloscope, $600, which I can't buy on cash. I could save for 5 months and get it, or I could whip out the card right now, and according to my calculations on a ~4% monthly interest I'd pay ~$60 total interest through 5 months.

Paying 10% extra for having the scope 5 months early is a pretty sweet deal to me, so I come to you, is there something I'm missing? You just have to pay (monthlyInterestRate)x(averageDailyBalance) for interests, ain't it?

They gave you credit. Just run that shit up, man.

Fuck the oscilloscope and just read a book.

I've read too many books I need to apply that shit

Save a bit and buy using the CC. Make an immediate payment with what you saved up, and then be aggressive in paying it off.

So you can't afford to buy it in cash, but you can afford to pay an extra $60 for it?

I don't wanna blow your mind but you can get a 2nd credit card to pay the $1060 for the whole 1st purchase , and so on

You don't have an emergency fund, do you?

What happens when you take the loan, and something unexpected occurs within the next 6 months?

so your apr is 48%? I think you might be getting cucked.
or you need to learn math again and probably don't need an oscilloscope until you relearn your multiplication tables.

why the fuck do you want an oscilloscope? just fucking kill yourself jesus christ you goddamn idiot

It'll take you 5 months to save $600? Yeah, don't buy until you can afford it. You need to learn a little more about budgeting before making extraneous purchases.

>Not having an emergency savings fund which includes 3 months of living expenses (for most young people, between $1k and $5k)
>Not having a 'rainy day fund', the budgeted but unused 'entertainment money'. Vacation fund, whatever you wanna call it. Your oscilloscope would fall under this category
>Not having actual savings in the form of stocks, CMA account, etc where you could dip into and pull money from for this purchase

Dude If you don't have a ton of money stashed away and or invested you should stop buying frivalties and put some goddamn money away immediately and the resume being a scumbag jackoff consumer buying shit you dont need. I will elaborate if you have questions, but desu you probably won't have questions or follow my sage advice

Op, there are winners and losers to every scenario. The bank puts u in their pocket once they start charging u interest out the ass. If you are dumb enough to let the bank grab u by the balls and take ownership of your life, by all mean swipe a bitch. If ur smart you wont let the bank rape you. Save ur money and get it in a few months after eating ramen noodles

Just to harp on this a little harder, your car could break down then you couldnt get to work, you could have a medical emergency, your house could need emergency repairs, literally hundreds of things could go wrong. The sooner you start planning for these things, the better off you'll be. One of my coworkers the other day got a surprise bill for $5000. Woke up one morning, well pump stopped working. Replacement $2300, went to the dentist the same day about his crown, $2700 to get replaced and drilled or whatever. You have to plan for this sort of bullshit because if you start charging your credit and then taking interest payments through your ass a couple small bills like that can literally fuck you over for years if right now it takes you 5 months to find $600

If you can't afford to buy it in cash, don't put it on a credit card.

/thread

lmaoing at well water cucks

enjoy your contaminants

A 48% rate is common in the place where I live for a starter credit card. The lowest I've seen on my current bank is half that, 24%, and it's basically for people that earn 3k+ a month. Yeah, I'm fucked.

1060? Elaborate
Or do you mean getting a second card and paying the whole due with it managing the payment dates

First of all, it's not frivolities since I'm studying EE and the scope is an asset. Second, you both are absolutely right in the sense that I'm expecting the best case scenario and I don't have an emergency fund. It's just, everything has been smooth sail for the longest time, there's so little things that could go wrong (good health, live near job, very few expenses) that I didn't see the need for it, but I guess it's for grownups to be considering this aspect.
I guess I'm saving for the scope and having the card for a soft cushion before saving for it too.

Implying you dont get contaminants from municipal water. My meme degree is in biology and I can tell you your water is just as fucked as well water (I'm on municipal water myself). I can explain water purification for you if you want but generally little is done to combat residual pharmaceuticals and elemental contamination unless it results in a musty smell or taste. Its about what youre going to notice. Organics are killed, not removed from your water.

So what should I do clean it myself? Any recommendations?

Just drink it. You can buy into Brita memes or Reverse Osmosis Memes but youre never going to purify your water cheaply. There will be dead stuff floating in their on a microscopic level and ok sure you can buy expensive filters to get rid of it but the stuff is harmless. If your area has had upgrades to the treamtment plant within the last 15 years it will use UV treatment to kill microorganisms, if its a little on the ancient side they will use chlorine and you'll have residual amounts, harmless to you, in your water. There are no cost effective methods right now for detecting and getting rid of pharmaceutical contamination contamination and nobody worries too much about detecting traces of pesticides or nuclear waste. Generally treatment focuses on removing large organic solids, having microscopic organics eat all the living stuff in the water, then killing the organics with UV. If your water tends to contain lead or be acidic their will be a tertiary step to combat your local issues. But all the other inorganic shit thats dumped into the rivers gets pumped through the system. Dilution is the solution to pollution. Bottled water is just as bad. Best thing to do honestly from a consumer standpoint is not worry about it. And don't talk shit on other peoples systems thinking yours is superior. People with wells arent as exposed to surface contamination as you are because they are pulling water from an aquifer.

Whats the scope?
>better be a rigol

If you were going to be unable to repay it could you call in some favors to get your family to pay it temporarily?
Obviously this isn't ideal, but that's something you could do in worst case.

You're why banks only loan money to people who don't actually need it, aren't you? Comfort to comfortable and afflict the afflicted...

Being required to loan to people who obviously cannot afford it is how you lose lots of money.

shoo Bernie

It is, a DS2072A. Special coupon discount a teacher gave me discounted it $200

Because being in a tight spot once means you're always going to be there.

Go run to mommy government for another bailout or something Jamie.

Good man.
Fuck, that discount is decent. Not decent enough for a fucking 48% Apr card but it wouldn't hurt to run it for a month or maybe two if there is an expiration on that teacher discount.