Monday stands for Magazine

Interview with Garance Doré from Vestoj #4 "On Power".
I was considering making this a weekly thread, if I get enough responses.

Other urls found in this thread:

atelierdore.com/
archive.is/Ls8Z0]
archive.is/LjZQu]
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

If you don't know, The blog in question is atelierdore.com/

>what a magazine would do - just telling about beautiful things.
>I've always felt my reader was my friend
Elaborate?
Next week I'll post an inteview with Robin Givhan from System Magazine #9
I'd be interesting to compare the two. How do they view themselves and what is expected from them? What kind of intermediaries are they?

How does this business operate? It is not entirely clear to me.
Where is the money coming from? What about the 'collaborative' content?

Is the relationship really that different?

That's it!

What do you think of the article?
Are there some parts you find interesting?
Do you agree or disagree with what's being said?

Why?

Feedback on how to improve the scanning will be appreciated.
A download link with the full magazine will follow in due time.
Bump the thread so others can read this too.

If I recall correctly, Jonathan Newhouse,Chairman of Condé Nast International, [archive.is/Ls8Z0] mentioned in a speech that new media is used to promote luxury goods. "The role of the media is to be the dream weaver, to animate [luxury] products and to make them desirable. We in the media employ creativity and taste, imagery and words, and a trusted relationship with readers – your customers – to drive your business". Doesn't matter if it's traditional or new, as longs as it reached the consumer.
Also, bloggers have to disclose by law that their content is sponsored. Doesn't mean they always do it properly. In the U.S.A there's the Federal Trade Commission, but I don't know enough about international law to explain what other countries do about it and how the FTC relates to other countries. [archive.is/LjZQu] Heard Italy was infamous.
The interviewer could have been more critical. As mentioned in a previous thread, marketing influences this interview. There's no talk about the murky relationship between blogs and advertisers. The interview is superficial in that regard.

Good concept for a weekly thread. Anyone have fashion mag recs? I have a couple issues of AnOther Man and like the idea of magazines

Did you also read the article and the comments or...?
What do you want from a magazine?

I am way too tired to read trough this but i will give you a bump and thank you for trying to improve Veeky Forums with good content, i wish more posters were like you. hope this thread is up in the morning so i can give a proper reply

Nice idea for a thread m8.

I have a Young Thug Dazed interview from 2015 if anyone is interested.

If you know how to dismantle and scan a magazine, I'd appreciate it if you join me Monday and make your own thread.

unfortunately this is very difficult for me to read, is there any chance you still have the pdf that vestoj gives you ?

Why is it difficult to read?
As far as I know, there is no .pdf of this issue.

bump

bump

Why don't we have our own monthly or weekly magazine? I'd be down wash the extra BS off my prose and write on related topics.

Because there are not enough people who have the motivation to do it. Saying you want to write is different from writing itself, plus the editing and proofreading. As you can see, this thread isn't picking up any steam. Before you want to start a Veeky Forums magazine, you must have the people. Work on that first. Get the people together.

Good point. I went to uni for this sort of shit, I tend to assume it's easier than it is.

What is a fashion blogger? I checked out her site and to me it looks basically like a womens magazine.

Someone who presents (and sells) a lifestyle?

bump

I'd be up for it.

but you're right, it's so much that has to go into it plus the amount of people who aren't deeply interested in fashion/just here for basic questions, stumps the amount that want and do discuss actual things relating to fashion.

Will get to this when I get home tonight

~WOLOWOLO

Yes pls

Probably will pass out in a sec, long day. Went to the art gallery, bought a spensive sweatshirt, had Chinese noodles at a mom n' pop style shop. It was cold out.

Please don't die thread.

>"nobody knew how to express their love of fashion because there was no way to meet each other or to connect"

I'll preface this by saying I'm not knowledgable on the interviewee or her blog (but that's usually the case for me). The only big question I have from this interview is what is the relevance of the fashion blog/blogger right now today?

Obviously it's not 2006 anymore and the nature of the internet has changed. Today I think the average pleb fashion follower is more likely to follow a teeanged girls vlog rather than a blog. I think there are still definitely good blogs and people following them (I myself follow well-spent mostly, and have put this on bookmarked).

>The interviewer could have been more critical. As mentioned in a previous thread, marketing influences this interview. There's no talk about the murky relationship between blogs and advertisers. The interview is superficial in that regard.

I think this is a good point. Like the blog I mentioned, well-spent is definitely mostly paid content. And most youtubers are definitely paid off. I wonder to what extent the interviewee has shilled something and/or what their general stance is on it (as one of the early people to the game of blogging).

Again, I think this interview prompts a discussion of the current state of fashion discourse/consumption on the internet.

Why do you follow well-spent?
When were you aware of the fact their content was paid?
Knowing that, how do you look at their content?

last self bump

>Why do you follow well-spent?
I like his philosophy. I share it with him and like how he incorporates it into his blog.
>When were you aware of the fact their content was paid?
I always knew there were advertisements, but using adblocker I never saw the obvious sponsored content. I was less aware of the covert advertising until I saw a startup brand featured that was definitely paid for. I also didn't really realize how much stuff they get sent.
>Knowing that, how do you look at their content?
More critically of course, but I still trust them more than other sources. They're pretty transparent about their practices on their contact info where they say you can contact them with a pitch.