Patrician watches

Considering buying a watch that can be a "one watch collection". I wanted something unflashy, quality, no date, automatic, screwed crown, and prefered 36-38mm. But then i came across a great deal for a Rolex Air King 14000... only it is famous for being the "34mm male Rolex". I am dubious because i could buy an "American Psycho style" 36mm Datejust for not much more (i has date obv. tho), or my reference, a brand new Tudor BB 36mm which fulfills every requirement. You get the idea.

For reference my most weared watches currently are a Tissot Visodate and a Semaster 300m quartz... and i plan to replace potentially both with the new one after a while of adaptation.

Mi idea is to own really only like 2 or 3 watches in the end really, counting a gshock, and get rid of the rest of my collection.

What do you think?

Pic related.

i think the air king is better than the dateJUST

Even being 34mm?

yeah sure, why not brah?

Air King is absolute quality. Never go for a watch that was featured in a film, it's cringe, also Tudor is for poor people who can't get anything decent.

I didnt mean the exact Bateman's watch, simply a 70s-80s Datejust in general.

Because 34 mil is tiny in 2017 unless you have T I N Y wrists. 36-38 is the patrician zone.

You obviously don’t know the first thing about watches. Why even bother commenting when you are totally and utterly ignorant on the subject? A Datejust is an icon regardless of whether or not it was featured in a film. Half the high end watches in the world have been featured in a film.

Tudor is much higher quality than the vast majority of pseudo luxury brands, especially now that they are making their own movements. Kindly fuck off back to lurking.

its my watch of choice, 14000m.

True but those ETA ones are going to be collector items in a while especially with eta scaling back some of their movements.

OP here. My wrist is 15,7cm. What is your wrist measure AirKing user?

I was considering a 14000 Air king, a 1601 Datejust or an Omega Aqua Terra, haven't purchased any of them yet but I'm leaning towards the 1601 simply because of how much I love the fluted bezel

By the way, how good are IWC? I was also interested in a pilot's watch or the portofino, getting an IWC or Omega seemed preferable because they're a bit less flashy

Aquaterra coaxial 38mm is a great option also.

IWC is, imo, at a similar level with Omega. But with very different flavour to it design wise. Probably you can check, if you like that kind of slightly dresier stuff, Glashutte or Eberhard. But most of their ranges (or their most known models) are very different kind of watches comparing them with the concept of this particular thread.

The 'problem' with the airkingis that it's always going to be the cheapest Rolex around. Just like Tudor people will always look at it as 'not a real Rolex'. At least, that's what people tell me when I wear my BB (and when they ask explain the whole heritage.)

I'd suggest you go with the Datejust or an Oyster Perpetual.

I wear 7 inch for watches.

Standard oyster perpetuals have taken that crown esp. With new air king. That was true in the past but air kings are back higher and for vintage holding their value better than some oyster per from same era.

I think all those simple small-ish plain steel Rolexes are great everyday watches. You can pretty much take your pick of an Air-King, OP, Explorer, Oysterquartz, or DJ depending on what dial and hands you like and whether you want a date window. They're all excellent watches, I picked a 36mm Explorer myself and I rarely wear any other watch anymore.

submariner datejust here, I'll tell you it is not the most comfortable watch a tad heavy and can sometimes hurt my wrist, and I think the one without the date looks better

watches are fuckin useless

I know how you feel OP, I also an a 1 watch for life guy. The difference is that I’m a bit of an adventurer and absolutely need a timing bezel and would prefer a date. I also wanted something that would work with a suit for when I go to weddings and such. I ended up deciding on a omega smpc.

I didn’t like the black bays since they are too thick and I subs seems to be everywhere these days.

you mongoloid have no clue about watches. what do you what the watch to do\/ where do you wear it\?

this is what I'd get if I only had to own only one watch

Do not buy an Airking. They're ugly and clunky. If you want a nice Rolex buy the Explorer, save up for a Submariner or a nice Datejust. Then again, maybe Rolex isn't the best for you.

Like said, buy something that suits you. Omega has great watches like the Seamaster and De ville if you like leather straps. Also consider looking at Tudor or even IWC. Some I recommend are the Tudor Pelagos and IWC Portofino.

saving up for a Hamilton Khaki, anyone have thoughts?

Had fairly similar considerations to yours, but I saw this one and I dropped my other pursuits -
36mm Omega Railmaster, IMO it's the perfect size ,versatile, easy to read.

I’ve got a Nomos for slimmer, more refined and serious fits and a Vostok Amphibia for baggier, chunky type of fits and everyday wear.
Couldn’t ask for anything more.
Buying a Seamaster, most TAGs etc. is basically internet-review-core shit. No offense, good watches quality wise but absolutely soulless Swatch gimme-ur-money, status-only crap for salesmen imho.
If you want a GOAT watch, get a Rolex, Patek, Lange, Jaeger...
Most people will think you’re an uptight fuck if you wear a Rolex tho and Submariners/Yachtmasters are unfortunately worn by a lot of horrible people.
Tudor is great, but I think most people buying it still want a Rolex, so make up your mind.

>Most people will think you’re an uptight fuck if you wear a Rolex

Wrong. If you ever mingle with the upper class you’ll realize that 99% of people have either a Rolex or something even more ostentatious.

I work in healthcare, everyone has a submariner who makes any decent money (administrators, doctors). My brother is in corporate finance, everyone has a Rolex. In law, everyone wears JLC or Lange in my city.

The meme that only dicks wear Rolex is perpetuated by poor people who can’t afford them.

You must live in connecticut.

Lol fag you live in connecticut

Does everyone in Connecticut have a Rolex? I bought mine used and the papers list a jewelry store in Connecticut, I guess it adds up.

Op here.

I already have a Seamaster, a Visodate, a Cartier Santos and many japanese watches... i want something in between a diver and a dress watch that can fit many roles.

Considering i have wrist gps for running/cycling/swimming and a Citizen Eco-drive titanium diver for real diving (but i always rent diving computers also).

That looks great! Forgot that smaller Railmasters exists. To the list it goes.

Hi there Mr. Smartass.

I already have dress watches, thank you. I want something more versatile. Good luck at the beach or doing anything active with you JLC-imaconoisseur-dresswatch.

Not that i dont like JLC, Blancpain or A. Lange & Sohne amd similar tier things even better than Patek/AP/VC... but its not what im looking for.

Great entry level swiss watch. Consider a Certina DS1 for example also, a bit more robust and versatile. But if you like the Khaki, its more than ok.

Thoughts on Bulova?

Bulova is a company that produces and sells watches. You can buy a watch from Bulova.

I think they are now owned by Citizen group? (Could check but whatever) and have pretty interesting quartz movements with sweeping seconds hand etc. Nice niche brand.

If you had a lot of money, which five watches would you buy?

I can get this automatic watch for a good price, but I'm not sure about the gold color. I'm more of a silver guy, and I'm worried it will make me look older than I am. Gold always strikes me as an old mans thing.

Thoughts?

Not my stile... i dont like chronographs in general (makes the dial too busy and you end never using that feature, a diving bezel is much more practical imo). If i really need a chronograph (like... almost never) ... id wear my gshock.

Okay, what do you think of these three

One more, this one's my favorite I think

and this for good measure.

Those are my choices.

Thats an ETA 2824 i think. Its ok if the price is good. Have a look at similar Tissots for reference (Le Locle model etc).

Who knows who is making those "Ferragamo" watches...

Those i dont know. Never seen that brand before (nor the Ferragamo watches, but one assume they dont want their name related to utter shit, and 2824 etasa is pretty ok).

The price is good, less than 1k.

Uuuh, pretty expensive for what it is!

Better go for a Tissot Le Locle or Visodate (or Hamilton Jazzmaster and similar swatch group brands stuff). Half the price for a solid brand watch that is probably same quality.

Fair point, thanks.

i want one of these so badly but i dont have nearly enough money for it

cartier tank, only the small one, not the modern ones/big ones.

Asthonising watch BUT: all GS lack lume (less versatility), and the spring drive ones dont sound at all (a bit souless maybe).

Don't get an fashion brand watch

Noob mistake

I prefer anyway, I'm just not 100% on the open dial look

It might get tiresome

i want to love the grand seiko watches, I love the spring drive tech and the finishing quality, but they just don't look that good as a whole and they're far too big (main reason).

I'm a huge fan of the vintage grand/king seiko models though.