Chinese inspo thread

chinese inspo thread
no jap cucks allowed

China's culture is unappreciated
They really have no modern outlet for people to expose themselves globally there.

for a lot of people in the states, the only real chinese people we get to meet are either ridiculously rich and tasteless faggots or loud dirty tourist types

where did you find these? i love em

i just search in google some random shit like "china street night" or "hong kong 70s"

shitty soft power, cheap manufacturing economy -- a lot like japan in the 70s

Mandarin or Cantonese guys?

lmao look at that guy in his flares

who cares

Japanese imageboard beat it soulless chink

Westerners have been consistently into Japan since at least the 1870s.

There hasn't been a Chinese craze since willow-pattern porcelain, and that was more of a meme or fad than an actual transmission of Chinese culture.

Mandarin. Singapore chose it as its standard, despite the local Chinese speaking mostly southern (Cantonese-related) dialects.

you think so? but i mean s korea is popular now while there was little interest before.

Yeah, but it's pretty pop level with Korea. This is a deeper problem than industrial economics.

I mean, take ukiyo-e. Japan was just another yellow potential colony at the time, but their art appealed to the west on its own merits, not just as exotic window dressing. W. B. Yeats wrote imitation Noh plays. Sergio Leone and George Lucas imitated Akira Kurosawa. Japanese interior design influenced modern minimalism. I'd say the West influenced Japan far more than vice versa, but Japan definitely brought something to the table well before anime and manga.

Korea and China were both locked in imitating ancient China, and their recent history obviously shows that they got pretty sick of that. China destroyed most of its art, N. Korea is a concentration camp, and S. Korea is half protestant, half hedonist.

It's not very good ground for culture, which is supposed to be the product of a harmonious community that has a sense of security, since an individual artist can't invent everything for himself, and even if he can, he comes off as an eccentric lunatic.

Chinese traditional revival maybe has something in it, but rather than following their own course of development the way that Japan did, China keeps trying to wipe their slate completely clean. Semi-Christian Taiping rebellion, Protestant-influenced Kuomintang (v. similar to South Korea,) communist Maoists, then Maoists who had become totally cynical when they realised they weren't getting results. China keeps throwing the Chinese under the bus.

There's no interest in China as one user said people in mainland don't have a lot of exposure. With major sites like Facebook, and YouTube blocked by the government.

...and it's hard to make authentic culture when your country keeps throwing you under the bus. Country here being the entire population, not just a handful of politicians.

Didn't mean to write an essay, but it happened.

I can't comment on Korea, but I'd wager China's problem isn't its """"collectivist"""" outlook. Rome and Greece held similar views ("Idiot" comes from a Greek insult meaning "loner, anti-social, non-political") and both had tremendous artistic output.

I'd say the problem is that China is not only kept in a bubble by the CCP but is, and has always been, its own world. There's some two billion people in China, that's more than the entire West. Simply put, they don't need us as an audience. Why would they, there's more than enough of them.

thank you for your interesting points. i would respectfully disagree but i do understand most of the points you mention. i think it's a shame how a lot of culture was wiped out in the commie revolution.

but i don't know if you can say it's pop level with korea? there's many interesting korean designers getting a foothold right now, like how comme des and beams plus, etc. came out of japan earlier. and k pop and korean food are pretty normal in cities, i would maybe take a first date to kbbq or korean food but less so chinese food because it seems a little less refined. i would think that in time with the education and higher qol of the peasants that more creative and interesting artistic things can come out of china. i don't like the exclusionist "japan cucks" in the title but i think some of the stuff he's posting is interesting enough.

You think this is funny ?

>He doesn't know dappei

Good and interessting post, but

>It's not very good ground for culture, which is supposed to be the product of a harmonious community that has a sense of security, since an individual artist can't invent everything for himself, and even if he can, he comes off as an eccentric lunatic.

If by culture you mean art, I'd disagree. The times of the greatest upheaval and disorientation were the most fertile soil for art.
Take the late 19th century for example, the impressionists, later the expressionists, Goya (earlier) as a prophet of modernity.
A stable society may produce technically fine art, but it's kitsch most of the time.