Why do art students dress a "certain" way?

Why do art students dress a "certain" way?

no strong father figure to direct them away from faggy trends such as wearing gay ass clothes or going to gay ass art school

Why does anyone dress a "certain" way?

so that you can guess their major beforehand and reproduce accordingly

probably because they personally value self expression and dressing different from normal people is in of itself a form of expression

until they all end up dressing the same because they all have the same taste

Because they all want to look "artsy" to outsiders while being pretty empty inside. Have art faculty at my uni, most unsufferable people there who do the talk but never do the walk.

>Why do people who value visual aesthetics want to appear different then those who don't

I don't know how any one can post on a fashion board and at the same time look down on people who are interested in art.

Because they are sensitive snowflakes.

They dress this way because they think by dressing "artsy" they can then gain the skills required to be a better artist. This happens with a lot of things really.

The same question could be asked of any social group. People want to relate to their peers and fashion is the most visually immediate way of doing so.

What are some stereotypical items you associate with dressing "artsy"?

How else would they larp as being interesting?

>wearing all black
>wearing or buying anything from that philosophy youtube channel
>berets
>meme glasses or fake glasses
>all black outfits(turtlenecks, suit pants, dress shoes, etc)
>weird haircuts in combination with some of the above
>carries around an art bag everywhere they go (especially if they dont really use it)

Why do you think black seems to dominate?

They prepare for funeral since they will kill themselves once they get their degree and are thrown in real world with lots of debt and zero chances for any good paying job.
And out of 100 art students only like 5-10 manage to actually get some acclaim.

>white is like an empty canvas, no personality
>black is nothingness, because I understand that I don't understand
expect some bullshit answer like this

Artist usually get more work and buzz in the scene if they have more personality, also it makes sense that someone who makes expressive work would expressive themselves through their clothes as well. If you hate you're probably lame as fuck

Because its common.
Already expecting it.

>someone who makes expressive work would expressive themselves through their clothes as well
Kek, visit art campus once mate. They all dress the same and have zero idea about life too. They live in their own small world (which is understandable for an artist) and they almost break when they are confronted with something that ruins it.
>If you hate you're probably lame as fuck
Linguists, philosophers, media, politicians, and theorists are probably the only one you actually can have intelligent discussion with. From my experience.

fuck I want a girlfriend

now I don’t

>wearing all black
That's 90 percent of the Veeky Forums aesthetic too. Joking aside, black is pretty ubiquitous in clothing. Wearing all black all the time hardly marks someone as an art student.

You're overestimating the success figure. That said, plenty of people with liberal arts and STEM degrees do nothing with the them.

>They all dress the same and have zero idea about life too.
You're just describing college students. Fuck, 90 percent of adults also fit this description.

>media, politicians
You've never spoken to either then.

Artfag here, I like black because it is neutral, the shape of an outfit becomes more prevalent when there are no other colours added to the mix. That, and I'm a fucking try-hard.

>>berets
>>meme glasses or fake glasses
>>all black outfits(turtlenecks, suit pants, dress shoes, etc)
>>weird haircuts in combination with some of the above
so you think people at art schools dress like stereotypical beatnik artist cartoon characters from the 50s?

made me kek.

most don't dress any different from your average tumblr thot / Veeky Forums sad boy FYI

>That said, plenty of people with liberal arts and STEM degrees do nothing with the them.
Unfortunately we live in a time where a degree is required for a job, which results in "learing for work". It sucks, but it's a truth. I won't fall for STEM meme, but at least those can always fall down on their degree and feed themselves with non-wageslave jobs. Art students can't, they aren't even suitable for some shitty "pseudo-creative" jobs like marketing. And depending on country end up in huge debt if their parents aren't rich (if it's the case they can study everything).

I wear all black CdG and UC too, but am not even close to artsy guy.
>Work as an assistant in autopsy
>Job's pretty nice for me since it leaves you in solitude and isn't that stressful
>Effay af atmosphere in autopsy
>3000€ income for 1 year of college while art faggots strave and everyone else works as an officeslave
>Easy to find a job since noone wants to do this (understandable)
>Tfw guro and necrophilia fetish which makes it paradise for me

They don't, but for the ones that do, it's because they're part of the "Artworld" subculture. You see the designers/architects dressing a little more professional and douchey (all buttoned up and neat) and the DIY people dressing in the most obnoxious things they could find at the thrift store. It's all just subculture/scene behavior and it's not unique to art students at all.

I just graduated with an art degree and I think both of these are kind of true. I think a lot of people do it for the "aesthetic" of doing it without putting in work. I wanted to be an art major because that's what I enjoy making art and I also wanted to learn more about art as a whole. There's nothing wrong with trying to take care of yourself and wanting to look nice and try new things, but a lot of people want to fit into that cliche of being an art major. A lot of young people want to fit into a category because they don't know who they are yet. But that's how a lot of jobs and degrees are, the people who stand out actually stand out.

i literally dont think you've ever been outside. or maybe you just live in some flyover.

>wearing all black
yes but it's sick so
>philosophy youtube channel
???
>berets
literally no one
>meme glasses or fake glasses
implying normies dont also do this
>all black outfits
you already said this
>(turtlenecks, suit pants, dress shoes, etc)
so what
>weird haircuts in combination with some of the above
not really clear what this means
>carries art bag everywhere they go
normies: carries backpack everywhere they go
>(especially if they dont really use it)
you're aware we're discussing art students? aka people who actually would use their art supplies? not really a good point either

honestly this post is a disaster in both content and clarity, i really hope youre able to communicate better than this in real life

What are your plans for the future right now? Also in which art form did you specialize?

I agree with this

I dunno but boy am I into it, art school girls look fucking rad imo

As a convenient way to signal to others what kind of a person they are. Literally everybody does it.

Well I just graduated, so right now I'm just trying to save money and make art in my free time. Trying to apply to galleries and magazines is hard because it costs a lot of money (sometimes over $100 for an application) and you'll get rejected. But it's just a trial and error thing.
My emphasis was Photography, but I really enjoy conceptual art and I also draw, video, write, etc.

>non-wageslave jobs
That's, like, almost all jobs.

Almost all jobs require some degree or experience in today's shitty employment situation. What's left are small minijobs or wageslavery.

How about getting some more courses in communication design? Will improve your employment possibilities.
Be aware that this is even a meme-ier
field with much more rivalry though since that's like biggest design that people study field right now.

I was originally a comm major and decided to switch to art. I went to a liberal arts school so I took some communication design classes, and photography classes are basically learning the adobe suite.
In the end, I'm okay with where I'm at right now. I really want to be a fine artist, even though that sounds pretentious, and eventually be a professor. I work at a retail store that pays well and that gives me enough time to have a studio and work in there.

I could go back to school soon though because I'm literally one class away from an art history minor. I have a co-worker who's emphasis is in graphic design and she says it's really tough and everyone is competitive with one another and that's insane to me. Not that it's tough because if you have passionate teachers that's how it should be, but that everyone is just trying to out-do each other. At my school, everyone was friends with everyone in the department and everyone wanted to work on new stuff and try new things and were very supportive.

I'm saying the jobs that require degrees almost always constitute wage slavery.

/thread

>they personally value self expression

Not really, it's called peer pressure and conformity. Neither of those are bad things, by the way.

keep it up man I'm in the same boat

because their definition of unique ends up being the exact same thing

/thread

kek

Because they know about the laws of aesthetics, or they think that expression is all that matters. Two distinct types.

t.artstudento

wage slavery = earning enough to pay for basic human needs and nothing more. Can't save up, can't afford something he would liek to do (travel, sick fit, eating at sushi). Someone with STEM degree might be officeslave or neckbeard, but with his income and stuff he is able to afford he is no longer wage slave.
Wage slaves are burger flippers, dish washers, car washers. Every job that any nigger or spic can do without even finishing school. Earns enough to survive, but nothing else. Problem is it's much easier to get out of office slavery with 100000+ saving on your bank account than getting out of wageslavery where you often can't even save up 100$.
>b..but money isn't important
It isn't. Everyone has to think for himself what he needs in life and how much it would cost. But fact is more money does make life easier and more fun then wasting life as some low--tier supermarket clerk.

I go to art school and nobody who dresses like a try hard artist wears all black.

no that guy is just a moron and it was obvious

Please forgive me mr art.stud

im studying economics

Filthy kike liar!!!

If you,ever went to art school you know that they really dont

im a junior at an art school (MICA) ama

im an art student and i wear a lot of black because i get stuff on my clothes all the time and black is the safest colour to get dirty
everyone i know who wears black does so because of this reason

why did you go to such a shit school

>>wearing all black
functional
>>wearing or buying anything from that philosophy youtube channel
dunno what that means
>>berets
never seen a beret irl cept for on a soldier
>>meme glasses or fake glasses
want to look smart
>>(turtlenecks, suit pants, dress shoes, etc)
class fetishization. kids who only dress in thrifted workwear are the same
>>weird haircuts in combination with some of the above
being afraid to do stupid things to your hair is objectively stupid because you can cut it off and itll grow back
>>carries around an art bag everywhere they go (especially if they dont really use it)
had to google what an art bag is
ime ppl dont have like 3 different bags for different things they just carry all their shit in one bag no matter what its for

kys

this

bc RISD didnt offer as much in scholarships

I'm an artfag and I didn't actually expect people to be like this. Last semester, art hoe walks in, as described, rick and morty stickers on her portfolio, and argues with the teacher. I will say that most art students actually dress like spergs/in hot topic core, myself included, which makes me feel alright. She was actually pretty alright at drawing, too.

>class fetishization. kids who only dress in thrifted workwear are the same

I'm guilty of this, except I don't wear "workwear," I just like thrifted stuff because it looks a little lived in and it's like a few dollars per item, if even that. I don't like it to be known that I'm middle class, either, but it's extremely obvious.

relying on colours representing ideas. Bad art, bad fashion

>wearing or buying anything from that philosophy youtube channel
Please tell me this is not a real thing and people don't actually do this

>tfw aspiring industrial design/architecture student
>tfw I love lunarcore and milspo..

I severely doubt any other students will dress like me, and I'll be happily surprised if any of them do.

>Tfw I just wanna live in a galaxy far far away..designing spaceships and furniture

you fucked any corpses yet?

Blown out in the first post. Take your art-hoe thread to

>Why do art students dress a "certain" way?

show creativity I guess

I always have a hard time with trying to chase money and doing something I love
If really like to be an industrial designer and make cool minimalist furniture or design sports cars and stuff you'd see in DWELL

Or be a traditional barber or traditional tattooist, but these don't make a lot of money
Luckily my taste in cars are cheap since I like 80s/90s turbo wedgeboxes but if like to have enough to be able to travel once or twice a yr and have a decent house
$4500 cad for a whole yr isn't very much at all
Now if you meant €30,000/$45,000 Cad for 1 yr of school then that's different

goddamn this picture nails my ex to a fucking T. Veeky Forums too real.

anyway i studied a weird art major unique to the college but just took somewhat unrelated film classes, made a bunch of shorts, MET THE RIGHT PEOPLE, and now work at dream location as an editor in LA. don't make an insane amount of money rn by any means but I'm happy. And wear mostly black. thank god post is lazy in terms of apparel.

they don't have any sense of originality

uh, sure

>study architecutre
>E V E R Y B O D Y is wearing black

because theyre "not like the other grills"

OK LETS IGNORE ALL THE FUCKING CAT/DOG HAIR ON THAT SHIRT....

RULE #1 REGARDING BLACK CLOTHES IS USE A GODDAMN LINT ROLLER....JESUS CHRIST FA
besides that she's cute af

-P

hahaha

>$4500 cad for a whole yr isn't very much at all
i think he meant per month.

I love architecture and industrial design
And I usually dress in lunarcore and milspo..

:/

>Or be a traditional barber or traditional tattooist, but these don't make a lot of money

lol ur definetly living under a flyover rock

sure they might not do the whole all black shit but you can probably bet that at some if not many are probably scoping out their local value village or good will for some clothes