Why is orthodox architecture so based?

Gonna dump a few more pics.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=H_2E0RxVHH4
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Different angle

I'm not the only one that loves this type of architecture, right?

Because it comes from the peak stages of Byzantine empire with obvious improvements for each country that assumed it.

I'm not much of a Veeky Forumstorian but I know good architecture when I see it. The Byzantines (as far as I know about them) seemed like they were very aesthetically conscious, not just with their architecture but with their apparel as well.

Almost out of pics

Byzantines were just Romans that moved the capital and decided to live 100 times better while focusing on Christianity.

I've found a series lately that's pretty much honest to history check it out - it's short.

youtube.com/watch?v=H_2E0RxVHH4

Very mosquelike. Is this where the Muslims got the ideas for the masjid?

Alright, I'm more of a crusades guy myself so that's mostly what I know about the byzantines.

Got any good reads on that follow the Byzantines from the time where they distinguished themselves from the western romans up until the crusades?

They also seem pretty aesthetically pleasing when it comes to apparel.

Gonna dump a couple more pics of Orthodox clothing.

This is Egyptian Coptic. This is also pretty good looking tbqh.

Also check Churches from all orthodox countries - don't limit yourself to Russia, check Romania, Serbia, Greece, Mt. Athos especially, Albania and so on.

Ones in Russia scream opulence to be quite honest.

I like the luxury look but that church in your pic is pretty fucking awesome.

Ukrainian baroque is the shit.

Nice

looks like a fucking ginger bread house

also how did they make those completely smooth domes. I know that most domes are taking many ends and converging them at one point but I never got how they made the more circular ones.

With the grace of jesus.

Doesn't change the fact that their New Rome got rekt by a few thousand delusional, diseased, famished, outnumbered, poorly trained, poorly supplied illiterate Frankish peasants surrounded on all sides by hostile territory in the most heavily fortified center of their empire.

It represents the unification of heaven and earth as cohesive the way God wanted them. Inside the dome is a painting of Christ looking down from heaven to those on earth.

>unironically linking EC

>f Christ looking down from heaven to those on earth.

And you wonder why people spam the skydaddy meme

not the same user, but I've heard many mosques have a similar architectural style to byzantine churches because they were influenced by a certain building that used to be the one, then became the other.

Here's one from Bosnia. It seems kind of "modern" compared to most churches in this thread.

Was the Hagia Sophia modified (architecturally speaking) after it was converted into a mosque or has it remained the same since then?

>Albania
Not really sure how many orthodox churces you'd find in my homecountry, those that aren't muslim are catholic and the orthodox believers are a minority as far as I remember. But then again, I've been away from there for more than a decade so I can't tell.

What's the problem about Extra Credits? Legit curious.

That looks more like a fortified church based on the thick walls and lack of windows

yeah they added towers for prayer call during ottoman era, the interiors were covered with islamic icon but the orthodox paint is still preserved. still look pretty good though IMO

>someone is actually this historically illiterate

He hasn't posted any Ethiopian churches..

>Ones in Russia scream opulence to be quite honest.
>opulence

>Ruin has come to our nation.
>You remember our venerable church, opulent and imperial, gazing proudly from its stoic perch above the citadel.
>I lived all my years in that ancient roman capital, fattened by ambitions and delusions, and yet I began to tire of... conventional border defenses. Singular unsettling tales suggested the empire itself was a gateway to the fabulous Rome and its unnameable power. With Cataphractii and Greek Fire, I bent every effort towards the liberation and recovery of those long lost provinces, exhausting what remained of our nation's fortune on... stalwart militias and... sturdy wargear. At last, in the pride-soaked delusions inside our minds, we eventually failed in our damnable expedition. Our every step back home unsettled the ancient earth, but we were in a state of defeat and decay. In the end, I alone fled, laughing and wailing through the shallow seas of the mediterranean. Until consciousness failed me.
>You remember our venerable church, opulent and imperial, it is a desecrated abomination. I beg you, return to Costantinople, claim your birthright and deliver our empire from the ravenous clutching shadows...
>...of the Ottoman Empire.

I really like St Nedelya. It is smaller, but has an amazing interior.

Another one