Monday stands for Magazine

Interview with Lidewij Edelkoort from Vestoj #4 "On Power".
The idea behind this thread is to post an article every Monday and try to discuss the article, as long as I get enough responses.
This article seems like a nice addition to this thread: warosu.org/fa/thread/S13028643

Her website: edelkoort.com/

Other urls found in this thread:

faithpopcorn.com/
pastebin.com/cPsW7xue
youtube.com/watch?v=LV3djdXfimI
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

>the ideas are given to me

Lidewij stands between the companies and the...
The what? The consumer?

What does the system look like? Is there a feedback loop?

faithpopcorn.com/

What's a trend?

That's it!

What do you think of the article?
Are there some parts you find interesting?
Do you agree or disagree with what's being said?

Why?

Feedback on how to improve the scanning will be appreciated.
pastebin.com/cPsW7xue
So far there's only one magazine you can download.
More will come in due time.
Bump the thread so others can read this too.

Bump

And as far as the article goes I see some interesting points, specially about the word trend being overused and kinda losing its meaning, trends being timeless was spot on I think, nice article. Scanning was fine. Thanks op.

An idea that sells?

Doing God's work
I put up 4 gigs of back issues from my favorite soccer magazine yesterday. There's a link in the casual thread

bump

First off thanks for making these threads you're starting something amazing

I thought it was an interesting article.

Her notion that nowadays trends don't really die, but just become saturated amongst so many new ones says a lot about most creative industries -- it was a good insight, but how can we fix it?

The scanning was also excellent ty

I agree, I recently came back to Veeky Forums after a bit of a hiatus and seeing stuff like this is great. Good job OP! :)

>How can we fix it

I don't really think we can, like she said it seems like there's too many trends at once for them to saturate up "properly". I suppose the best way to make them die faster would be to somehow limit the number of trends, promote particular ones more, etc. Ultimately though I don't think we're going to see any companies/designers try to kill trends or whatnot (if its even possible) considering that more trends= less saturation = longer trends = longer sustained profits.

bump

Bump

youtube.com/watch?v=LV3djdXfimI

Keep doing more, it's pathetic that these threads don't blow up every week.

Where do you get your magazines?

I wonder why the response is so low. Lack of interest? People know too little, so they can't contribute? Not an appealing topic? The OP picture blends into the light blue background, making it less visible? Make this tread around 9:00 CET instead of 17:00 CET?
From Athenaeum Booksellers in Amsterdam.

I should create an ILL/IBL account.

Posting to say I support this idea. I'd be more participative but I just came home from a 10+ hour workday and I'm full of pancakes.

General thoughts: I thought it was too short and overly vague, I would've liked more detail. My impression of the interviewee was one of a "motivational speaker" or "fortune teller", one who write self-help books and has a cult/religious like following. In other words, a figure of bullshit. But that's probably a wrong impression, as (successful) trend predicting would take a large knowledge a fashion and history. These are just my impressions from the article as once again I have no prior knowledge coming in.

I think lately (and after browsing Veeky Forums a lot) I've had a rosy view of trends. That they always trickle-down (yes I know, buzzword) from the upper echelons of fashion design to the masses. I think that is a very one-directional view of power, and trends are much more complex coming from a variety of sources.

cont.

I think (once again, I've said this almost every thread), that this topic could be extended in a discussion of trends our current internet/social media/whatever you want to call it. I would've liked to see more discussion of how trends are circular and reoccurring, especially from a long-standing "expert" on trends.

>What's a trend?
cont. 2

I think you guys are defining a trend as an idea that companies capitalize on for profit, which isn't wrong but I think it's just a single facet of trends that we're experiencing most strongly right now. I think the idea of a trend is much more complex, although it's usually easiest for me to be cynical and look at trends from the lens of capitalism.

I think trends can be anything from a social norm to a social deviation. And again, they come from a variety of sources.

I'd like to listen to this, but won't get around to it (probably the thread will be dead by this time). I'd add it to my reading list but I always ignore stuff in there which defeats the purpose.

>I thought it was too short and overly vague, I would've liked more detail.
This is going to be a common complaint regarding the interviews of this issue. The interviewer doesn't probe enough. And why are these interviews always around 5 pages? Was the interviewer prepared for the use of marketing?

I'll email the magazine about this.
How do they look back at this?
Have they improved in some way?

>trickle-down
That sounds similar to Simmel, and a big criticism against him is that fashion can also be bottom-up.

I've got some old fashion books/magazines to scan in for you guys, but no scanner. Can I just pick up any old scanner for this purpose.

I also have a VHS of model interviews, if anyone is interested I'll digitise them.

I think an old scanner should be good enough, even a smartphone with a nice camera and a scanner app is good these days. I'm interested in the interviews too.

What paper size are the fashion books/magazines?
Do you have access to a scanner at work or somewhere else?
Are you willing to rip them up or?

last bump

last last bump

I will stop mentioning it (unless it's a specific aspect of the interview for the post). I'll be interested to see their response, keep me posted on that.

I think fashion can definitely be bottom-up. For example, designers taking from social movements (like 70's counterculture). I think a lot of what Veeky Forums focuses on are trends that are set by designers that flow to the masses (which often happens too), i.e. Margiela and the popularity of GATs and the subsequent release of the Adidas version. But I think it's more complex than just top down, i.e. where does the influence of military fashion/innovation fit in? I'm not sure about Simmel, but I view trends in more of a Foucault lens of power, they come from everywhere and all sides, it's much more convoluted than top-up or bottom-down.

have you ordered the new vestoj "on authenticity" yet? it looks to be really good

When the store has it in stock, they'll send me an email.