thread theme song? youtube.com/watch?v=3p39ulIfnzc

Did anything ever go right?

Just look at it

multiculturalism

EVERYTHING went wrong!

Too many ethnic groups.

Immortal Grandpa

Slavs

"Habsburg Holy Roman Austria was conquered by Napoleon in 1805, forced to dissolve as a political entity in 1806, replaced with the Kingdom of Austria, itself conquered again by Napoleon in 1809, refounded in 1815 as a repressive police state under the gratifyingly evil-sounding Klemens von Metternich, suffered 11 simultaneous revolutions and was almost destroyed in 1848, had its constitution thrown out and replaced with a totally different version in 1860, dissolved entirely into the fledgling Austro-Hungarian Empire in 1867, lost control of Italy and parts of Germany to revolts in the 1860s-1880s, started a World War in 1914, and was completely dissolved in 1918, by which period the reigning emperor’s wife, brother, son, and nephew/heir had all been assassinated."

I would say it went splendidly.

Hapsburgs gonna Haps.

Just curious but did everyone speak the same language in their government? And now a days do people from Austria speak Hungarian, and vice versa? Pretty sure Hungarian is hard as frick.

Austria and Hungary had largely separate governments, that just happened to be ruled by the same family.

Nothing.
It collapsed because of exterior influence.
The fact that so many people spout prison of nations memes just goes to show how infested with plebs we are.

Go back to /pol/ or /int/, you fucking retards.

opressed minorities, rising of nationalism and generally bad leadership making people angry, hungarians trying to be free and being dicks, habs being inbred and dicks

>hungarians trying to be free
>in Austria-Hungary, a state in which they were almost completely autonomous and were in many ways bigger oppressors than the Germans
You have no fucking clue what you're talking about, just stop.

Vienna, Budapest, Prague, Krakow, Lvov, Trieste, Sarajevo, Dubrovnik ...

Such a shame it fell apart.

he Hungarian Revolution of 1848 was one of the many European Revolutions of 1848 and closely linked to other revolutions of 1848 in the Habsburg areas. The revolution in the Kingdom of Hungary grew into a war for independence from the Austrian Empire, ruled by the Habsburg dynasty.

After a series of serious Austrian defeats in 1849, the Austrian State came close to the brink of collapse, thus the new young emperor Franz Joseph I had to call for Russian help in the name of the Holy Alliance.[3] Czar Nicholas I answered, and sent a 200,000 men strong army with 80,000 auxiliary forces. Finally, the joint army of Russian and Austrian forces defeated the Hungarian forces. After the restoration of Habsburg power, Hungary was placed under brutal martial law.
HURRDURR

should have given nationalities their own countries and make an entity like the European Union

Nice Wikipedia article. You're a genius.

Unfortunately this thread is about Austria-Hungary, a reorganization of the Empire that occurred after 1848. Hungarian nationalism went nowhere after the revolution, and independent Hungary even came very close to bringing back a Hapsburg monarch, and during the Empire's existence the Hungarian nobility was a major obstacle towards reform and autonomy of the minorities.

I would have been fine with some kind of confederation united by the Hapsburg crown. But I highly doubt that would have last. Nationalism's in these parts are quite strong.

>Nationalism's in these parts are quite strong.
false. the majority of ethnic minority Austrians favored autonomy of the sort that you and the user you are responding to proposed and not independence.

>nd during the Empire's existence the Hungarian nobility was a major obstacle towards reform and autonomy of the minorities.

thats true

nationalism in central europe is quite strong.

Today, not back then. Countries such as Slovakia, Slovenia, or Czechia did not have a modern history of independence. Suggesting independence to a member of those ethnicities in the 19th or early 20th centuries would mostly provoke the same reaction as suggesting an independent Brittany or Silesia today. Viewed as fairly ridiculous with a mostly indifferent or opposed attitude towards it besides a minority of radical nationalists.

I don't even know where you found that shitty excerpt but it's riddled with inaccuracies.

>Kingdom of Austria
Nice source you have there.
Opinion discarded.

>started ww1
>all that other reddit garbage
KILL YOURSELF

germs dindu nuffins

No, it became strong after 2 things:

1. They gained independence, and the new countries had to cut ties with the Habsburgs

2.After 40 years of communism, the place just exploded with nationalism

Maybe it was the fact that their fucking constitution had to be completely renegotiated every decade or so

The habsburgs were always pretty incompetend but this really took the cake, instead of subjugating the hungarians completely they went this completely nonsense route instead

>The habsburgs were always pretty incompetend
Who the fuck thinks this? Are you retarded?

Hungarians and Serbs

You're so dumb lmao.