Monday stands for Magazine

Interview with Patrick Scallon from Vestoj #4 "On Power".
The idea behind this thread is to post an article every Monday and try to discuss the article, as long as I get enough responses.

Other urls found in this thread:

warosu.org/fa/thread/S12964792#12964805
pastebin.com/cPsW7xue
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Watched The True Cost. One and a half hour isn't enough to cover it all.
For a magazine that wants to explore the relationship between Fashion and Power, there's no mention of the unethical practices within fast fashion supply chains.

>mutual support

I think the conversation with Irene Silvagni complements this one.
warosu.org/fa/thread/S12964792#12964805
They both talk about shifts in the 1990s.

>'We'd like to help you, but we can't because you don't advertise'.

>I know I'm not going to get shot or taken away at dawn.
What about other, less severe, repercussions?

That's it!

What do you think of the article?
Are there some parts you find interesting?
Do you agree or disagree with what's being said?

Why?

Feedback on how to improve the scanning will be appreciated.
pastebin.com/cPsW7xue
So far there's only one magazine you can download.
More will come in due time.
Bump the thread so others can read this too.

Nice idea user. I'm going to read it and post my thoughts later. Hopefully this isn't another case of a good thread being ignored.

Like the thread idea and welcome more iterations of it, as for my thoughts on the article: I think it raises some very good points on the relationship (or even the trajectory) between a designer and a brand, something bolstered by advertisement and media. I haven't read many articles about/that analyze the industry itself so I don't have much past that to add but I find OP's pick to be a great starting point :)

Bumping so I can read when I have time this afternoon.

>Hopefully this isn't another case of a good thread being ignored.
Knowing previous threads, this one will get 30/40 replies, tops.

bumping so I can read later today

just a fair warning: I'm gonna start putting up scans from The End
there are 20 issues and a bunch of archival material to boot

it's really really good
give me a few days to get it all, it's 400+ pages

when was this interview?
that last line is pretty applicable today.
maybe just applies to anything that isn't controlled by one person.

"Sometimes my feeling is that we've unwittingly created a monster that we're all unhappy with but not one of us knows what to do about it."

This is a good thread, we need more like this

Very cool to hear a veteran still retain his ideals. He's also right that consumers are more savvy in understanding that most publications are shills.

He also confirmed what I've always thought about creative directors, that it's a vague position with varying degrees of creative involvement. Often they're just an ambassador for a brand. There's no way some of these people can even keep track of all the lines and periphery products their signature is on.

It's good that there are still designers like Dries who try to disregard the politics as much as possible and just carry on putting out quality collections. Steady crushin for years.

alright I'll just put up the first 20-ish pages, then going to sleep

page 4

page 5

I can't believe I paid for Veeky Forums pass just to upload pics faster fml

done
issue 2 tomorrow, I guess
fuck if I know, hope someone likes this as much as i do

Fuck I can't stay up to read all this. Hope it's still here tmo.

2014?

Oh, I thought you were going to make a separate thread for The End.

I guess I could have

got more shit to put up as well
although I don't own a physical copy (cuz they're $400+ and extremely sold out) I bought a digital copy on Amazon before they took it offline
spiritual successor to The End: Boy's Own

It's also an interchangeable position. A brand will employ a designer for a couple of years and let him play with the heritage, what you can't always define clearly, of the brand.

Maybe it's just because I use sites like Veeky Forums but I feel like consumers have gotten very aware of shilling in the internet age. There's so much shit quality journalism out there, and at the same time it's so easy to browse through it all, so it really becomes apparent who's been paid and who hasn't.

bump

scanning issue 2; I'll start another thread in a bit

Swell! I'll read it when I wake up in a couple of hours.

Yeah, I guess what I meant is that there's no way a lot of these CD's are even designing. Like a Tom Ford or Karl Lagerfeld will have their hands in so many pies, it's humanly impossible. It sounds like their role is more similar to a movie producer, where they might be assembling talent, approving/vetoing decisions, and being more of a cosigner than a designer.
Music has kind of been like this for years. Outside of anomalies, radio stations were paid to play artists, and it's only gotten worse. Now you can make an overnight sensation by buying press, ads, collabs, etc. too. The same reason you don't turn on the radio to hear unbiased goodness is the same reason you don't read Vogue to get your fashion info.

bump

These threads are the best content on the board, OP. Thank you for dropping these.

Dear S_R,

I haven't missed one of these yet (you know that) but it may be close for this one. Working all week, had a shitty ass interview I bombed and didn't even have time to prepare for enough yesterday that was really important to me.

Anyway, sorry for blogposting... Life sucks but at least I have these threads

Designers are just a cog in the machine.
The idea, the designer being the mastermind behind it all, did that start with Worth?
No problem. Take care. Be seeing you.

Upload here

definitely up for the idea. I will read on this and the other stuff posted here on work tomorrow and if the thread is down by then, I'll make another one.
Thanks a lot

bump

Is there an Veeky Forums version of peer reviewed or academic journals?

What magazines or periodicals do designers read?

bump

Lol I seriously regret letting that link go active. Cuz now I have to be careful what I post in that folder.

"Hey user is it true you were at one on the last Specials shows"
"Yeah man I played Space Invaders by the bar the entire time"

The absolute state of England circa 1980

Why? don't be paranoid

bump

Any of those japanese mags everyone keeps posting randomly? Please throw some names