I have 15,000 USD in the bank and my car cost 700 USD, how much is reasonable for me to spend on a watch?

I have 15,000 USD in the bank and my car cost 700 USD, how much is reasonable for me to spend on a watch?

However much is worth it for you, nobody can answer this question but you.

Any money spend on a watch beyond $50 is wasted
But I’m just a Casio wearing student

No one cares about your watch but you.

$0 because you're a pleb

If you can respect the art enough to justify spending the money on it, then you should spend however much you feel is necessary. No one else wears your watch but you - give it a story and some sentimental value and it will become priceless.

Save your money :)

Get a nice car before you get a nice watch. Doing it the other way around is nigger tier behavior.

$50. But a Timex, it'll do the exact same thing as a Rolex. Save your money, budget effectively, and spend reasonably. Do those three things for a decade and you can afford an Omega.

Bro just spend 40$ on a gshock 5600 watch. Once you have a decent car and whatever else you NEED, Spend 200 or 300 on a nice automatic watch.

This, buy a watch because you like it. Most people wont even notice your watch unless you'll be a new money fag about it.

For what it's worth, here's my philosophy.

You can get a timepiece for under 50$ that tells you the time, and the date, and maybe even has a chronograph function. If it's under 50, it's probably quartz or digital, and if that's the case, it'll be the most accurate watch you'll ever wear on your wrist. Modern ones today even have satellite links so that they automatically update their sync, and if you go a little higher in price you can get ones that have solar charging on the face (so you never have to replace the battery).

If you spend more than this, you're paying for a luxury. It's that simple. Therefore, from my point of view there's no difference between paying 400$ and 4000$. Once you go into the luxury territory, here's what you need to take into account.

Mechanical watches require servicing at regular intervals in order to keep on functioning. The more expensive the brand, the more expensive the servicing. Also, if your watch is complex (chronograph, date, moonphase, tourbillon, etc.) then the servicing costs increase. Average rule of thumb is that servicing costs about 1/5th of the watch's buy-it-new price. cont.

cont.

Servicing must occur however, this is not something that you can shrug off. Eventually, like any motor a mechanical watch will wear down and it'll simply stop working. It'll become a very expensive piece of jewelry that does nothing.

If you want to narrow it down, ask yourself what you want the watch for. Is it for utility? Is it for status? Are you going to be diving in the ocean anytime soon? If so, there are plenty of divers available from the major brands (like the Rolex in your post). Are you a pilot? There are plenty of 'pilot' style watches from major brands (the IWC is perhaps the most iconic right now).

Are you going for prestige/status? There are, once again, plenty of options, but it depends on who you keep company with. Some will laugh if you wear a Patek Philippe if you're too young...some will scorn if you wear a Lange to a cocktail party. The point is, if you're going for status, then you have to take into account who you're trying to impress.

cont.

cont.

Watches are a deep cavern, and the more you explore into each company, their movements, their idiosyncrasies, their reputation and prestige, the more you'll realize that at the end of the day, you want something that suits you. When you put it on your wrist, you want it to 'sing' to you. You'll know what I mean; if you're in a watch store, you can try on dozens of watches, but only one will really seem 'right'.

I've worn this one daily for over a decade, though right now it's in for servicing. It suits me, and it serves all my necessities. It works well with a suit, and with a sport shirt. The point is, it serves my lifestyle. But it's a LUXURY, it's not a necessity.

If you can live with that, then go to some watch boutiques within a price range you are comfortable spending on, and try on some watches. See what sings to you, and then you'll know.

Dont listen to people who tell you "spend as much as yoy want". Dont buy expensive shit you dont need unless you have spare money.

$200 max

Citizen nighthawk.

$200.

cyкa блять

I think between $300-500 Is a good budget amount to get you into entry level mechanical watches territory. There's something very special about owning a watch like that and seeing that snooty second hand sweep. My first watch Hamilton khaki field...so happy with it

Don't see the point in wearing a quarts unless its a casio F91W

half of your car. Your shoes should be around 50% and 70% of your suit. Your car should never be more expensive than your house. Your watch should be double than your suit and your shoes together, at least.
Considering this, you leave on a cardboard house and you dress with plastic bags.

get the fuck out of here you turkroach

Watches are a meme

Buying that deepsea would be silly at this point. I'm getting my first Rolex just now at $1.4 million. A Rolex Submariner 114060.

Then again maybe you could flip watches

you cannot afford a quality watch. You will be forever doomed to wearing $10 shitters made in china or singapore. Effay watches are reserved strictly for the wealthy, beautiful people, with proper culture and upbringing. Stay in your place, pleb.

To an extent, yes. With the quartz revolution in the 1970's, mechanical watches became extinct in terms of their original function. The brands had NO choice but to sell watches based on the idea of 'tradition/heritage/exclusivity' etc.

That's why I say that once you pay more than 50$, you're essentially paying for a luxury that has no other purpose than to BE a luxury. So, 400$ or 4000$...it doesn't make a difference. There's no justification for it, so OP might as well know what he's in for (servicing fees, maintenance, etc.).

get a solar powered watch so you don't have to waste money on batteries or mechanical watch maintenance

>not buying ETH with your 15k and watching it balloon to 50k within 6 months
This is why Veeky Forums is the most retarded board