How similar is the old testament, the Bible, the torah and the quran are?

How similar is the old testament, the Bible, the torah and the quran are?
What is the connection and links between these abrahamic faiths?

> What is the connection and links between these abrahamic faiths?
That would be a spoiler. I recommend reading them all in chronological order.

>forgot the Book of Mormon
Are you some kind of bigot??

They arrogant cucks who called themselves saints for being cucks!

>How similar is the old testament, the Bible, the torah and the quran are?
Torah = the first five books of the Hebrew Bible, also known as Pentateuch.
Old Testament = the Hebrew Bible plus a number of deuterocanonical (also known as apocryphal) books depending on the denomination, in the case of the Protestant canon no apocrypha are there.
Bible = the holy book of Judaism, consisting of the Hebrew Bible, and the holy book of Christianity, consisting of the Old Testament and New Testament.
Qur'an = the holy book of Islam, written in Arabic.

The Qur'an contains references to the holy books of Judaism and Christianity themselves, and to a select few stories therein, but it is its own book.

The Bible is not part of the Islamic canon, the latter consists of the Qur'an and a collection of Hadith depending on the denomination (or the Qur'an alone in the case of the Quranists).

>Quranists

Those don't exist. 000000000000.9 percent just means they're kooks

Not very.

The Torah is a series of mythological stories, the Christian Bible is accounts of the life and words of Jesus Christ and some general advice, and the Koran is supposedly the literal word of God making commandments as well as telling the story of Mohammed.

>that picture
Ah yes, everyone knows the three religions: Christianity, Judaism, and Turkishness.

Please tell me you are kidding rn

>the Christian Bible is accounts of the life and words of Jesus Christ

You what matey? The Gospels plus Acts make up a tiny chunk of the bible.

Ever heard of the phrase "Telephone game" or "chinese whispers"?

This is exactly that.

I mean I guess I could see the green background as representing Islam, but the star and crescent is not inherently a symbol of islam, and only became one because of the Ottomans. It just triggers my autism when people use it like an inherently religious symbol when it was originally a secular one.
reeeee, etc.

>OT
Also known as the Tanakh, which is pretty much Jewish canon. And let's not forget the Talmud.

>symbols can't acquire new meanings
>all concepts had symbols assigned to them by god at the beginning of time

So, the star & crescent has a really weird history. The crescent moon was the symbol of the city of Byzantion/Constantinople, and moon iconography has a long history with Altaic people in general. Ottomans, naturally, begin to use moon & star banners and the image spreads to Sunni nations that recognized the Ottoman Sultan as Hortator.

Later, when the Tusken Raiders start wanting independence France, they realize that they need some kind of symbol besides Islamic calligraphy to be taken seriously. So, to represent their idea of independence they ended up using the imagery of their former masters. It's only since the 50's that the crescent has really been associated with Islam.

Point being, there are a lot of people alive who predate the idea that moon & star = Islam, so let's not act like it's been that way for centuries.

> Turkishness.
You mean followers of Azura?

> it was originally a secular one.
Actually, it was originally a symbol of Artemis and it was adopted as banner of Constantinople. Coins from Byzantium use that all the time. It wasn't the secular, but religious Roman pantheon symbol.

Judaism=thesis
Christianity=antithesis
Islam=synthesis + geniously crafted military strategy

It was also popular in pre-islamic persia since the sun, the moon and the stars were very important in Zoroastrianism and Sasanian ideology with the king being the relative of the astral bodies.

I think pre-christian Aksum also had a similar symbol.

>tfw no spoilers on Veeky Forums

You're autistic. The first symbol of christianity was a fucking fish and pre-christian peoples used the cross symbol.

In all cases: You're either one of us, or you're the enemy which we must kill.

So the Mamluks time traveled to steal it from the Ottomans?

Not true, jews want to enslave you, not convert you

Torah = Genesis, Exodus, Numbers, Leviticus, Deuteronomy. Christians call it the Pentateuch. There is also the Talmud, also called the oral Torah, which is the version that was passed on orally instead and that also includes commentaries, stories that explain what happens in "missing" parts, etc. The written Torah is one of the three parts of the Hebrew Bible, the Tanakh. The Torah is written in Hebrew.

Old Testament = first part of the Christian Bible, based off Jewish scripture. Contains 50 books for Orthodoxy, 46 books for Catholicism, 39 books for Protestantism. Protestants keep it as the Tanakh with a different order for the books, Catholics add 7 books, Orthodoxes add 11 books. The Old Testament is written in Hebrew and Aramaic (for the 3 denominations) and Greek (for Catholics and Orthodoxes).

Bible = for Jews: the Tanakh. For Christians: the Bible as we know it (but again, the 3 denominations have different contents too). So the following will be about the Christian Bible. It is made of the Old Testament + the New Testament. It is made of 28 books, so in total the Bible is made of 67, 74 or 78 books. The New Testament is entirely written in Greek.

Quran = one single book, believed by Muslims to be divine revelation that came upon Muhammad. It is written in medieval Arabic.

Judaism came out of Canaan, worshipping YHWH exclusively. Then a Jew called Jesus comes up, says he is the messiah the Jewish prophecies talk about, preaches a more spiritual reading of the Torah, calls God "daddy" and implies he is divine himself, gets executed. Then a pagan called Muhammad comes up, says he is getting divine revelation from God and that he's bringing back true Judaism & Christianity, which were corrupted by their followers.

Reminder that the Jews of today have very little in common with the Israelite faithful and that it is therefore highly inaccurate to call the Israelite Faith "Judaism". Modern Jews practice Kabalah and they consider kabalistic texts to be sacred. These texts are clearly Indo-European in character in that they suggest pantheism and even state that the universe is made from the body of the cosmic man Adam Kadmon (the Indo-European 'Yima' & the Norse 'Ymir'). Very pagan.

ok guys I've been trying to read more on the source documents for the bible.
Someone on Veeky Forums gave me a link to a thread on another site and I learned a lot from that but so far I can't find anything on the older sources. When using google I either get fundamentalist Christian shite or fedora teir bible rebuttals. All I'm interested in is the documents and when they were written.

Also can someone explain why they are called things like JE, Q, D, etc?

Torah and quran are more similar then the New Testament (Bible = Old + New)

the OT sucks ass, NT all the way

if only the cathars and the bogomils persisted until today

>mfw christianity's symbol is literally the biggest spoiler for the bible
how do they expect me to read it if I already know he dies?

>The Qur'an contains references to the holy books of Judaism and Christianity themselves, and to a select few stories therein, but it is its own book.
>The Bible is not part of the Islamic canon, the latter consists of the Qur'an and a collection of Hadith depending on the denomination (or the Qur'an alone in the case of the Quranists).

This is mainly because muslims believe jews changed the Torah, and although the Quran dosn't say specifically that christians changed the Scripture, later texts do, and e Quran at least implies that christians misunderstood the message sent by God through Jesus (who they consider a prophet but not God's Son).

Muslims do accept the late apocryphical Gospel of Barnabas, which is clearly a 15-th century forgery, and proclaims to name Mohammed as true and last prophet. It also implicitly states Jesus is not the Son of God.

They are all based on the same paradigm, which is the absolute division between good and evil, and an end times period in which evil is finally defeated. They all inherited this from Zoroastrianism

J is for Yahweist, because that hypothetical document uses Yahweh a lot, E is for Eloist because it includes a lot of times Yahweh is called El Shaddai or El Elyon, D is for Deuteronomist because Deuteronomy is almost entirely by this hypothetical author while other books were just edited by the Deuteronomist. the theory is that during King Josiah's reign there was a Deuteronomist reform towards monolatrism which created the source for Deuteronomy and edited other holy texts. Q is just a fill in. it's the same as when you used X in algebra

He comes back, him dying is actually irrelevant and not even the end. It's like spoilering obi wan dies, ok, no big deal, there's still two movies. By the time Jesus dies and comes back he has yet to fight and defeat the BBEG dragon in the final battle. Telling you how it ends would be the real spoiler.

I've heard arguments on Veeky Forums that YHWH and El are two different gods.
Is there any proof of this or is it just meming?

You will find out how it really ends after you die

God may be dead in the west, but judgement is ever present.

Does that also work for other books?

If I die without finishing ASOIAF, will I be able to find out how it ends?