Did Kanye fail to make it in the fashion industry because he was too priveleged?

Did Kanye fail to make it in the fashion industry because he was too priveleged?

Quality aside, you can think of his designs what you want, fashion is weird.
But all the fashion moguls must have started somewhere from the bottom, whilst kanye was an already established rapper with access to these industry giants that would accept meetings with, for him and his ambitions-- the wrong incentive.

Is this a valid theory? Or is it also his manic personality being a massive liability.
I also feel like Nike would have interpreted yeezies to been a success because of his fans anyway, feeling like dodging a bullet the first time around and not liking the design, refusing a second deal..

Other urls found in this thread:

complex.com/sneakers/2016/07/adidas-needs-these-people-to-design-the-yeezy-line/nic-galway
complex.com/sneakers/2015/12/nic-galway-adidas-nmd-interview
businessoffashion.com/articles/role-call/role-call-nic-galway-vice-president-of-global-design-adidas
hypebeast.com/the-hypebeast-hundred-2015/nic-galway
mytheresa.com/eu_en/designers/yeezy.html?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIzJLEqOXX2AIVx0QYCh17kwSOEAAYASAAEgLXw_D_BwE&ef_id=WUbh0wAAAGrDk24X:20180114154139:s&loc=f
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

kanye is already in the history books of fashion
yeezys are the 21 century jordans
his clothing line maybe not doing that well, but he's the godfather of today fashion

Wait what? How has Kanye not made it in the fashion industry?

people go fucking crazy about his shoes mate

>>Is this a valid theory
no
stella mccartney is the daughter of paul mccarntey yet she made it despite lot of criticism about possible nepotism and privilege at the start of her own brand
she worked fucking hard though, Kanye just kinda started to make clothing out of nowhere I don't think he has much practical knowledge or experience which is crucial and often overlooked thing
>I also feel like Nike would have interpreted yeezies to been a success because of his fans anyway
Nike doesn't allow a lot of freedom with the designs, it's a very conservative company in lot of ways

kanye is much more successful fashionwise

I really hope you are joking

How has he not made it? His clothing itself isn’t popular. But the styles he uses, his runway presentation, and even yeezys are all attributes of his success as a designer

I'm not saying "he hasn't made it" where the hell did you pick that up?
I'm just saying he isn't nowhere near as successful as Stella McCartney. I mean it's not a contest but she has operated her own brand for almost 20 years now and before that was the head designer of chloe. Even his graduate show was instant hit that sold like crazy.
Mean while Kanye is going broke because he wants to do fashion, the sneakers sell like hotcakes but financially the brand is at the end of it's rope

Ain't nobody give a fuck about stella aka silverspoon mccartney

yeah cause presence on fashion sub-board on anime forum is the height of being relevant in fashion and people giving a fuck about your designs and the ultimate measure of success
kanye really made it

He has been doing fashion ever since he was able to. in 2007 he started Pastelle, never made it into a collection but few samples have surfaced. He had to wait until Adidas gave him a chance financially to start his full fledged first collection. Of course reception on his clothing won't always be positive but it's a hit-and-miss process. His music always referenced fashion as something he's passionate about so it's definitely not out of nowhere.

Pic relate; Pastelle Varsity Jacket

show me one good design of her

>good
see, it's all kinda relative
I don't know what the fuck will it prove that I pick something I like that then you can pick a part cause your taste is different

He's definitely had some success in the fashion industry as others here have pointed out. His shoes are pretty much the biggest celebrity endorsed pieces since Jordans, and his clothing line is slowly picking up momentum.
That said, he still hasn't 'made it' and been accepted by the industry because rap music is considered too gaudy for it. Outside of street wear, celebrities starting their own high end fashion line and being successful is pretty much unheard of. The best you get are endorsements and maybe a temporary collection for an existing brand, but never their own line.
The only exception I can think of are the Olsen twins, but they had completely quit before their fashion brand really took off making the transition easier. It also helped that they never really acted as adults.
It's changing now with major houses like Gucci, Burberry, Chanel, Prada, Valentino, LV, etv all starting to embrace and accept street wear as high-end, but honestly there used to be a racially motivated perception that it was too low-class for them. This is also something that probably plays into Kanye's initial rejection. It's also why he praises brands like Givenchy and Balmain that completely embrace it so much.

Kanye is significant but he alienated a lot of possible buyers due to the insane prices of his first few collections. Eventually they came down but he failed business wise because he did not understand his target demographic. Gucci can charge $900 for a sweater because rich people buy Gucci. When your fanbase buys supreme and secondhand stuff from grailed, you can't charge fashion house prices, and that's why the first few seasons the stuff sat. The yeezys, as in the Adidas models, move fast like jordans because they're not extreme prices.

Welp, guess you can be 50 mln in debt and angry 24/7, showcasing public meltdowns targeting the industry and still be considered succesfull.

I also would think that understanding your target demographic is like.. literally the first lesson you learn after discovering a passion for fashion.

>because rap music is considered too gaudy for it
the fact that he is famous probably makes it tad more hard for him to be considered 'real' designer but let's face it, the reason he isn't accepted and celebrated is because the designs are simply lacking and it's all derivative as fuck, there is next to no originality to it
the shows look more like editorials for magazine where kanye was the stylist, not an actual fashion show supposedly showing off new clothes

>Did Kanye fail to make it in the fashion industry because he was too priveleged?

No, the only reason he "made it" is because he was famous.

And by the way he didn't design the 350 yeezys,
Nic Galway did. He might have had a say when it comes to colorways and what retared text to print on the sides though.

Kanye is more popular to youths and more known than Stella.

Plus she really was born with a silver spoon.

I like some of her men's sneakers though but if you're talking about noobs and people who don't look at fashion past dressing decent or to look trendy, Stella just doesn't hold a candle to Kanye for the younger generation and in the sneaker lane.

>And by the way he didn't design the 350 yeezys,
>Nic Galway did.
I don't think there is any doubt he was part of the design process, I remember reading that there was a whole team working on them, can't really credit just Galway for them alone either

Show any account saying or stating that Nic Galway designed these. The sole reason Kanye left Nike and didn't sign a deal with Puma is because they wouldn't let him decide on the creative process.

Kanye has been in the sneaker business since 2007, his first collaboration with BAPE. Even had a line with Louis Vuitton in early 2009, this was not even during his height of popularity. He might not design every aspect of it but certainly gives a lot of guidance and opinions on the process, thing is, he knows his sneakers.

uhhh
complex.com/sneakers/2016/07/adidas-needs-these-people-to-design-the-yeezy-line/nic-galway
complex.com/sneakers/2015/12/nic-galway-adidas-nmd-interview
businessoffashion.com/articles/role-call/role-call-nic-galway-vice-president-of-global-design-adidas
hypebeast.com/the-hypebeast-hundred-2015/nic-galway
I'm not that guy, I'm pretty sure Kanye was part of the design process and nitpicking about who is the 'real' designer considering the vast amount of different approaches to design there are among 'real' designers is fucking stupid but he is very much the main man behind the shoes

Oh sorry for my wrong assumptions then, never read into these articles.

Lmao stfu kid, the only thing he did was releasing some decent looking sneakers that sold like crazy because of the hype and limited production. He isnt even the godfather of todays streetwear, let alone the entire fashion scene

Sorry to burst your bubble mate, but Kanye is definitely not 50 million in actual, real debt. He's simply spent 50 million of his own money with no return.

To anyone who doesn't get how mega rich people finances work, Kanye West is assuredly NOT 50 million in debt--not in any literal sense. When Kanye said that he is in '''''debt''''' he meant simply that he has plunked down 50 million of his own venture capital on his fashion endeavors with little return on the investment, at least at the time he said it. He is still in the black personally, just 50 million dollars less in the black.

This is not 50 million in true debt, meaning that Kanye is actually flat broke and owes other people that. He does not. Kanye has spent 50 million of his own venture capital.

It works like this. Kanye has a shit ton of money. Estimates of his networth are between 150-200 mil. Kanye has some money set aside for fashion ventures and shit. He has lost 50 million of that money but he still has other money.

This is the same reason Trump has repeatedly gone into bankruptcy but is still a billionaire.

What the fuck did you just fucking say about me, you little bitch? I’ll have you know I graduated top of my class in the Navy Seals, and I’ve been involved in numerous secret raids on Al-Quaeda, and I have over 300 confirmed kills. I am trained in gorilla warfare and I’m the top sniper in the entire US armed forces. You are nothing to me but just another target. I will wipe you the fuck out with precision the likes of which has never been seen before on this Earth, mark my fucking words. You think you can get away with saying that shit to me over the Internet? Think again, fucker. As we speak I am contacting my secret network of spies across the USA and your IP is being traced right now so you better prepare for the storm, maggot. The storm that wipes out the pathetic little thing you call your life. You’re fucking dead, kid. I can be anywhere, anytime, and I can kill you in over seven hundred ways, and that’s just with my bare hands. Not only am I extensively trained in unarmed combat, but I have access to the entire arsenal of the United States Marine Corps and I will use it to its full extent to wipe your miserable ass off the face of the continent, you little shit. If only you could have known what unholy retribution your little “clever” comment was about to bring down upon you, maybe you would have held your fucking tongue. But you couldn’t, you didn’t, and now you’re paying the price, you goddamn idiot. I will shit fury all over you and you will drown in it. You’re fucking dead, kiddo.

Blown opportunity to make it a Kanye version

Kim paid Kanye's debt anyway

It wasn’t debt anyway and Kanye was silly to call it that.

Yeezys looked good the first couple colour ways, after that it was just a meme that boring people wore. Anyone in 2018 wearing yeezys should get the rope.

i wanted to make a Kanye version but it's too hard
it should start with
>What the fuck did you just fucking say about me, you little bitch? I’ll have you know I dropped out of college, and I’ve"

Hail teh kang of fasjuhn!

whats wrong with these statements? he already stated his desire to establish a whole foundation based on DONDA. he's a bit detached maybe but he doesn't deserve all the flack and hate people still give him.

It's honestly kind of heartwarming to see how much Kim loves kanye, to go out in the open and defend him like that. Makes me think of when asked who her favorite artists are, she said Kanye, and was probably being completely sincere.

Kanye's clothes sell cause of hype. He's catering more to the buyer in order to increase sales. Tbh Kanye doesen't deserve to be associated with the Fashion Industry. He doesen't have a passion for it either are his clothes good.

"either are his clothes good"
learn english

also if you would actually read this thread you would know his clothes don't sell. He even cancelled the sale of season 3 completely except for the boots and sneakers. Also he is very passionate as already established by:

Educate yourself before forming an opinion, bandhopping faggot.

>You cannot wear big glasses any more. It’s all about tiny little glasses.

What did he mean by this?

Significant, not successful. He has a prominence, not saying its deserved.

>I graduated top of my class in that ghetto university

I don't know how you can say that the clothes simply aren't good full stop. Of course it won't and doesn't have to be to everyone's personal taste, but it's hard to argue the physical quality and the pleasant color palette. The label is still a bit derivative, kind of wannabe Helmut Lang, but there are some very nice pieces and from a quality standpoint you just can't say it's not good because it's generally made in Italy with fine materials. I can take or leave most of the hoodies and pants and jackets, but the shearlings they put out are consistently beauts, and their boots and shoes are all great too. The season 4 mint shearling is a personal grail, damn that thing is gorgeous.

>What the fuck did you just fucking say about me, you little bitch? I’ll have you know I graduated top of my class in that ghetto university, and I’ve been involved in numerous secret internships in Fendi, and I have over 20 million albums sold. I am trained in goin' gorillas warfare and I was the top producer in all of of Roc-A-Fella Records.

Can't be assed to finish it.

>He even cancelled the sale of season 3 completely except for the boots and sneakers
mytheresa.com/eu_en/designers/yeezy.html?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIzJLEqOXX2AIVx0QYCh17kwSOEAAYASAAEgLXw_D_BwE&ef_id=WUbh0wAAAGrDk24X:20180114154139:s&loc=f

>Every item for sale is season 4 or 5

yes, and?

If you're correct. I Agree, obviously.
But he's an idiot for saying he's in debt then, if he's only been dealt a blow.

Given that Kanye has publically appealled to billionaires for money it coukd be seen as a way to try to get them to cough up. Although no billionaire is financially dense enough to believe he’s actually in debt. Also just to be sensational because he’s Kanye.

ay good morning kayne

Shut the fuck up

"o-oh"

> i want to help the world and need help to do it
> i need access to more money iot bring more beautiful ideas to the world.

He doesn't understand somehow that no return investment on a 50 million dollor budget doesn't shape any fate in his competence..
Should've stayed at rapping. Although his last album was terrible.

please be bait

Wake up mr west

Shit taste. Also let Kanye follow his dreams, he just wants to design shit