Monday stands for Magazine

Interview with Geoffroy de la Bourdonnaye from Vestoj #4 "On Power".
The idea behind this thread is to post an article every Monday and try to discuss the article with each other.

Other urls found in this thread:

vogue.co.uk/article/clare-waight-keller-replaces-hannah-macgibbon-at-chloe
pastebin.com/cPsW7xue
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

vogue.co.uk/article/clare-waight-keller-replaces-hannah-macgibbon-at-chloe

>whcih
nice

>Anna Wintour's blessing

>at ChloƩ the brand has always been more important than any individual designer
Any other brands with a similar view?

>brand bible
What's the process behind it?

Maybe there's no time at all to get acquainted with the brand.

>which is what you have to do in fashion today.
How come? What's the cause of the shift?

>constant growth

That's it!

What do you think of the article?
Are there some parts you find interesting?
Do you agree or disagree with what's being said?

Why?

Feedback on how to improve the scanning will be appreciated.
pastebin.com/cPsW7xue
So far there's only one magazine you can download.
More will come in due time. I'll upload Issue four in one or two weeks. 70 pages or so left to scan and some more to edit.
Bump the thread so others can read this too.

Bought the new Vestoj issue "On Authenticity".
Here is the table of contents.

I missed the last thread, my first miss. Luckily, I have Monday off and I'm sitting at the kitchen bar sipping coffee reading this :)

This article reeks of a "brand" with "values" and a business-like hierarchy, whereby designers are evaluated on their ability to sell the brand-idea or just outright sales numbers.
>"Moving away from a time when the spirit of a house is centred on any particular designer"
Is there any difference between a brand name and a house with a designer name these days though? There are still a hierarchy of people who work for designer-name brands who get hired, fired, replaced, and they still run as businesses. I forget which house, but even the original designer sold the "brand" and it retained the original name (we discusses this in previous threads).

cont.

Is this a question of a new kind of fashion as a collective brand name instead of one designer using their name as the brand? Or is it a question of both brand names and designer names evolving more into businesses versus creative outlets? I'm not sure myself, and definitely don't have the knowledge to say.

Did you ever get a response to your email?
>Virgil Abloh interview
oohhh wee that's going to be a fun thread

>Did you ever get a response to your email?
Sadly, no response.

And these values sound so vague. Femininity. Free-spiritedness. Grace. Effortlessness. Charm. It could apply to other brands. Of course, we don't know precisely what's written in this style bible.
Are people looking for something that isn't there?

Margiela? Helmut Lang?

bump

bump

>oohhh wee that's going to be a fun thread
At least I would get responses.

Bump

last self bump

It seems as though most brands operate using the same organizational structure, where the focus is largely placed on making sure they are hitting their target market, keeping a low turnover, making profit, etc. largely the "fashion" aspect is relatively low on the importance scale, they have their "bibles"or mission statements that define the brand profile of who they are what they are, who they are aiming for and how they will reach hat target. The rest doesn't really matter much as long as the mold that is set up is used and followed, this is how shitty brands are able constantly put up bland uninspired garbage, straight up ugly shit because they know they have a captive audience and as long as they keep doing what they are doing their dedicated market will constantly put money in their pockets. These are your typical Asian fuckbois and hypebeasts buying 300 dollars off white markers and IKEA totebags like the faggot on the other post that turned them into sweatpants. To brands like these it doesn't really matter if they lose a great designer they are bigger than that. Losing an iconic designer will not doom the brand whatsoever because they will can just follow the old tricks that have worked for them in the past. A great example of this is Helmut Lang.

The designer is a small cog in the machine.

bump