1920s core

I want to dress like this but I feel I would get too much attention and be made fun of, any suggestions?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=rXuvdeEC5y8
twitter.com/AnonBabble

It'd have to be almost 100% custom unless maybe you're a really tiny guy and can wear the precious little that will come up on eBay.

I would say that you can mimic the silhouette of the styles. I think what would get you made fun of is wearing vests and pocket watches and shit. A wool coat with a top coat would be perfectly acceptable in 2018.

Ditch the hats, pocket watches, pocket squares, and vests. Bam. Done.

I like these hats tho, Fuck

I recommend that you do as you please, in this instance, rather than follow advice negative to your ambition. As for wearing 1920s inspired clothes in 2018, that's not quite as far removed as many people around here may think. A suit, to many people, is a suit. Flat-caps, and even fedoras and homburgs are a little more generally worn than they were just ten years ago. In order to do it as though you deliberately want a 1920s vibe to come across to others, though, you should adopt a few details distinct to the '20s, such as the cut of the suits (slim suits in the first 1/3 of the decade were fashionable, then moderate by circa 1925, and finally somewhat wider proportions became more common by 1930). Waistcoats and braces (suspenders for Americans) were still very common in the 1920s, but belts could be correctly worn, as well, as they had just started coming into fashion after World War I, with belts having been common in the military). People may think whatever they want. The only thing that really matters is weather you would be happy wearing this style. I dress 1920s inspired, sometimes, and you don't have to wear these types of clothes every day, but it seems to be a worthwhile hobby.

I guess I’m just trying class up my look, Cillian Murphy makes it look so easy

disagree strongly

i feel you OP and you should dress however you want and dont give a fuck but wear that hat and suspenders and wastecoats or whatevrer and you will 100% look like youre larping
best thing to do is get a good understanding of patterns, textures, and silhouettes and evoke the same feel but within the domain of contemporary style
protip wear natural fibers only, max 1 geniune vintage piece

Hopelessly dated, consider avoiding the whole thing. They are literally fedora tier (google image search fedoralounge). If you insist just buy Polo Ralph Lauren stuffs, they have some manageable sport coats.

Who gives a shit what others think? Wear it. But if you do...

-Wear a waistcoat/vest WITHOUT a belt. The waistcoat is meant to create an even flow from the chest to the pants (being in shape helps this) and wearing a belt breaks that flow. Try to find pants with suspender buttons, or find a tailor to see them in.

-Vintage suits on eBay are surprisingly waycheaper than most new ones of the same quality. Try to buy genuine, professionally made suits and not the modern knock offs. There's a huge difference in the quality. Keywords are "vintage" and "bespoke" when searching

-Visit your local tailor so he can make adjustments to your suit so that it fits as it should. And by tailor I mean a real, professional tailor who specializes in his craft in creating and adjusting suits

Mens fashion has taken a nose dive in recent decades with it become more and more fuckboyish and feminine so wearing something traditional (while wearing it correctly!) is never something to be ashamed of. And lastly, wear it for the occasion, not on a daily basis. Going out to a fancy bar or restaurant with your gal? Acceptable. Going to the grocery store or frankly anywhere in public that isn't considered "formal?" Unacceptable

>Going to the grocery store or frankly anywhere in public that isn't considered "formal?" Unacceptable
Who gives a fuck. Do you have a separate going to the grocery outfit

Yep, Adidas hoodie and pants if I dont give a fuck or, if I'm feeling fancy, a dark sweater, tweed pants and pea coat. Aka, "casual"

But you do you. I guess I can't say you SHOULDN'T wear this or that because, ultimately, it's about how YOU feel and if it's appropriate or not. People are going to judge you regardless of what you wear, whether it's old or new in style because it's human mature. And that goes back to what I stated earlier, "who gives a shit what other people think?" We have common ground there.

>ditch the hats and vests
wtf is wrong with you. Those are some of the best bits.

Yeah. Don’t.

>100% look like youre larping
This is a particularly meaningless phrase here. If op isn't a complete fool in dressing and carrying himself, he very well can pull it off.
> They are literally fedora tier (google image search fedoralounge).
Now this is valid and op should def check out the fedoralounge before trying anything with the goal of not falling into the obvious pitfalls they do.
This. No such thing as overdressed.
This is just some weird ocd fetish. Do you go to the store in one outfit then change into your "casual" outfit? Ridiculous.
>People are going to judge you regardless of what you wear
Unless they're faggot fashionistas you can't go wrong dressing respectably. Vintage is respectable, since mostly well-to-do, well-intentioned whites wear it.
> "who gives a shit what other people think?"
kek says the guy with different outfits for going to the store and being casual.

You're gonna look terrible, please come back and post pics after you buy clothes

>and be made fun of
Only if you're

Seriously, is everyone itt still in school?
This kind of thing is perfectly acceptable.

OP, if you're still in highschool, you really might get ridiculed for this - still might be a valuable experience though. Don't let the opinions of small minded people, too timid and uncreative to do what you do, get you down.

I'd recommend finding cheap hats like that (they do exist, people still wear them unironically). I think they're called material hats? Anyway, the cheap ones resemble the actual old ones because they're both simple. The expensive ones I've seen are too big imo.

t. Has vintage clothes and bad taste.

More like

t.

Literally fedora tier Jesus Christ guys

If you like it OP.

My dad dresses like this when he goes out, whether that’s a good thing or not I don’t know. As long as you are +18 and not in a flyover state should be good.

OP here, recently a college graduate and currently working in a office setting.

Then yes, definitely befitting.

20 actually
Don't get me wrong, I like the style (and the show btw), but you can't pull it off nowadays without looking akward

OP is from a show? I tell you, it's fine. If you do it well and your town is not a shithole full of aggressive proles, you'll be fine. Sure, you'll get some looks from highschoolers and the hiphop crowd, but who cares about their opinions?

Perfectly fine if you're not still in school. Dress for your own satisfaction. Why would you respect the opinions of athleisure streetwear teenagers in the first place? What no one ITT has acknowledged about cringey fedoralords is that half the time they are cringe because their clothes clash or don't fit right. The other half is because they are out of shape or don't have an attractive face, which isn't going to be improved by wearing hypebeast shit or whatever dumb core nu/fa/ worships these days. Fuck yeah wear the hat you want, fuck yeah wear the vests you want, fuck yeah wear it outside of formal occasions. The only times you should actually be concerned about overdressing is at concerts (excluding the sit-down kind), music festivals, and physically exerting activities.

Go for rougher materials as opposed to the slick shiny stuff common in modern suiting. Avoid crisp white dress shirts, solid black, solid navy, and solid grey unless you want to be more formal. Single breasted waistcoats and jackets are less formal than double breasted. If you want to wear vests then probably go for a single breasted jacket because a double breasted jacket will cover most of it up.

Yes it's called Peaky Blinders. I discovered it a few days ago and it's great

peaky blinders is way too big now, you'll just look like you're cosplaying (which you are). it might have been cool during season 1, but not now there's 4 seasons.

How about I do something like this?

I've never heard if Fedoralounge, but their "photography" section is pretty good for a laugh.

>OP Goes to London to larp.

Actually horrible, look at that jewish cuck respecting women, absolutely disgusting

This is why you’re a virgin

Same.

this is now a peaky blinders appreciation thread

50's core is goat imho

Take coke mate makes everything bad go away

May I suggest a fit? Go with a plain white tee tight fitting a quilted bomber jacket and a pair of cargo pants with some basic shoes air max will do

well yeah if you wear that youre gonna look like a dickhead. Take the advice if you dont wanna look like one or dont take it if youre willing to look silly.

quality inspo music video

youtube.com/watch?v=rXuvdeEC5y8

just join a Yorkshire brass band lad, then you can wear fits like that any time you want

>that button grouping
not sure whether to be disgusted or amazed but I think the latter

>you can't pull it off nowadays without looking akward
It will be awkward if you are.

Yeah I'm loving that to. Want a coat like that.

FOKING WOPS MATE

1920s

>Alfie Solomons best kike

>"Fuck, it really smells of pig around here, don't it? Definitely not kosher. Come to Small Heath, you will go Hell, for fucking breathing."

>"You smell of smoke and coal and horses. You are back where you belong, Tommy. ... You got to ask yourself, seriously though, did I ever want to piss and shit indoors or was I actually born, ya know, to defecate in fields and the outhouses? It's a serious issue, though, Tommy 'cause your people... well, your 'class' and my religion is quite similar actually because you just cannot wash it out, all right, because it come out ya mother's tits."

>"So let's say I shoot you right now. In the fuckin' face. The bullet goes bone, mush, bone, that cabinet over there. So now that cabinet's fucked and I got to get shot of it, don't I? So what I do, mate, it's fuckin' simple. I cut that cabinet in half and stick one half in a barrel to Mandelay. And I take the other half in all its pieces and put them in a barrel to, say, Timbuktu.... You ever been? Would you like to go?"

Gopniks are so 2010 (and 1990).

What the fuck

Plus twos and fours need to make a comeback

>look silly
>look like the smurtest cunt in town
Yeah, you don't know what you're talking m8

Your dad sounds aesthetic af

There is a guy at my uni who dresses like that. Theoretically speaking, sometimes he pulls off quite nice fits (he combines that kind of clothes with floral scarfs)
BUT
holy shit he looks like a tool .Guy is getting ridiculed by literally everyone, including professors. In the eyes of 99,99% people you will look like a larper and an overdressed tryhard
If you want to take couple of pictures of yourself and feel nice for a moment, go on and try it.
But don't except anyone to treat you seriously.

>No such thing as overdressed
yes there is, absolutely. try going to a party dressed like your larping as the Great Gatsby and see what happens. even if you don't give a shit what people think of you, it just doesn't work. like people said, get inspired by the 20s, don't play dress up.

This board has gone to shit, your fucking 1920 blue collar halloween costume isn't fashion, sorry. I get that you guys are trying to move away from the "soyboy" look and streetwear but holy shit even reddit doesn't dress like this. fedoralounge tier.

THIS THRED IS UNDA NEW MANAGEMENT BY ODA OF THE PEAKY FOKIN BLOYNDAS

say what you will about the hamster, his 20s core is on-point.

In general if you want to pull out the aesthetic, the key is to stick to specific pallettes and fabrics.

YES:
>tweed
>browns
>forest greens
>brown leather
>blazers
>3/4 coats
>merino wool
>flatcaps
>suspenders

NO:
>top hats
>brimmed hats
>brass anything
>timepieces (too try-hard)
>flannel
>period correct spectacles (too try-hard)
>over-layering
>vests (too try hard)
>plaid button-ups

you'll look like you're cosplaying. Steampunk died a good 7 or 8 years ago

>we swing but only with couples we BOTH like
>I drive a corvette
>I go to car shows
>Son, I don't understand why you can't just go in there and ask for a job. Is that so hard?
>got my tickets back in 83 for the crane lift
>GM pension's coming up any day now
>I live in upstate New York

>have to be cosplaying steampunk to wear a luxe silk vest
There will no no gears or queers anywhere near my outfit. Only gold digging whores who know taste and money when they see it.

2010s cut short and slim cotton jacket and tapered pants somehow become the evidence you can pull off 1920s vintage style? It's more of a evidence you can pull off a newsboy cap with a Americana(Ame-Kaji for you kaijins) look with minimalistic shades. And I think it will look dumb if the model isn't Japanese.

>*top hat tip

wow, that suit is beautiful

roight then

know your role faggot

All of his coats I've seen have some kind of terrible offbeat button stances. They look awful and cartoonish, like not even cosplay but pure Looney Tunes.

Also, his boater is a terrible make with a far too high crown.

W2C 1920s deadstock suit?

Buy fucking Frank Leder

>low pants
>loose vest
>collar popped
delet this

I know that feel, I'd rather to give off the vibe without dressing in vintage clothes, and yet I can't even get that short bob because my face is round enough already

Seconding this.

This

requesting 20's style work boots

Very few people dressed that way in the 1950s.