What are some his approved movies?

What are some his approved movies?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=dSjkpaXlXIE
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Elizabeth and Elizabeth: The Golden Age.

Mostly accurate, but a little sexist in the first movie and with heavy protestant bias.

Downfall.

Memes, aside, it's the best.

Idiocracy
good introduction to american culture

Fetih 1453

For modern history based historicals, look at some of Clint Eastwood's filmography.

The Passion of John of Arc
Horseman on the Roof
The Duellists
Apocalypto and The Passion of Christ (best seen as companion pieces)
Barry Lyndon

>The Duellists

Thank you for this! Great movie with literary and historical appeal.

In all seriousness, there are some movies and television serials you should watch if you want an intro to American culture through film:

>Roots
>To Kill a Mockingbird
>Ken Burns' The Civil War
>Lincoln
>1776
>Apollo 13

to name a few

>Barry Lyndon
Muuh mayne

>Barry Lyndon

I honestly think the film is boring but every shot is just so beautiful it's hard not to watch.

Fun fact: Kubrick got special lenses from made by Zeiss for NASA that could capture more light than ever before, allowing Stanley to shoot scenes solely by natural light, which is why he was able to use little to no artificial lighting; thus the painterly quality of the film. That's why he was the best.

That's what Kubrick do. He's monolithic pacing and perfect cinematography.

It really is a beautiful film, I just wasn't interested in any of the characters though. I like the shots that are paced out and zoom it and it's like a painting.

Holy fuck that shot really does look painted.

Anybody else look up Bobbi Starr expecting a tranny because of this post?

Then realized "his" meant "Veeky Forums"?

It's one of my favorite films, mostly for its technical accomplishments and beauty - I think it's slow too. It's very well acted and intended to be just as measured as it is. I see it as an experiment in 19th century pacing for a 21st century audience. I think Kubrick really wanted to bring Thackeray's book to life as truthfully as possible.

20th century I mean, it was released in 1975.

I heard it's what Kubrick ended up doing when the studios wouldn't shit out the budget for Napoleon

After the film "Waterloo" was a failure they got cold feet; I've never read the Napoleon screenplay, I should check that shit out.

Fury

This one was fairly accurate, so naturally it got criticized for being too long and boring.

perfect Veeky Forums film

Tora!Tora!Tora!

The Longest Day

Two of the most historically accurate films.

Into the White
Nanking Nanking if you're a chink

>I think it's slow too
No it isn't. It is very, very evenly paced according to its length (over three hours). What you are upset by is the tone, which is the restrained 1700's, this is integral to the film's historic quality. The narrator sets it off brilliantly, the film uses restraint very well in contrast with violence, both satirizing the veneer of restrain, and using dry understatement to make otherwise horrific things slightly humorous (all this is evident with the first scene).

Already covered that.

I wasn't upset by the tone. You didn't read past the first sentence of my last post. You shouldn't write about film, you're too pretentious.

Apocalypto is one of the most unaccurate movies of all times. It shows literally nothing about the Mayan culture and is extremely off the real timeline. Mayas were already extinct when the Europeans came.

>t. user from Guatemala that gets a hard on every time they talk about this country's ancient culture.

FYI: It's "inaccurate" and "of all time".

So is Braveheart, but it's still a superb film

the cinematography is pretty good

Very slow (for a good reason) but pretty good and very accurate.

Like I said, it must be seen in the context of a companion piece to The Passion of Christ. Rather than a documentary, it's way of contrasting different ideas of sacrifice and religion.

Stanley Kubrick takes considerable liberty with Thackery's work though. Barry Lyndon in the book is an unreliable narrator that is the one made fun of, but the movie doesn't make fun of him at all, more it uses him to make fun of everything else.

surprised Andrei Rublev isn't on your list

seconding Roots, the new one is very good.

>surprised Andrei Rublev isn't on your list
It's a great movie, I'm just squeamish about the horse

Masrer and Commander
Agora

>Agora
Triggered

>It shows literally nothing about the Mayan culture

the costumes were on point except for the classes of the people wearing them

>pochahontas figures out she doesn't love the captain
>15 minute scene of her running around happy
>shots of forests and eagles
>waterfall

I like malick but fuck me. I was happy that the movie finally ended.

Is this accurate? youtube.com/watch?v=dSjkpaXlXIE

>The Longest Day
this. But havent seen the original un-color-editted version in over a decade

Good movie though.

Fishing for /pol/ comments?

/k/ is my home board, but I'd say these apply to Veeky Forums as well (some TV):

Band of Brothers
The Pacific
Generation Kill
Generation War
Beasts of No Nation
Apocalypse Now
Full Metal Jacket
Last of the Mohicans
Lawrence of Arabia
War Horse
The Wind that Shakes the Barley
War and Peace (both the 1966 film and 2016 miniseries)
There Will be Blood
Gangs of New York
Lincoln
Cold Mountain
Che
Boardwalk Empire
The Knick