Leather boots care

I had no idea how much goes into this. Any recommendations for good black leather boot polish? Also, are shoe trees for ankle boots necessary?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/channel/UCygkzPpueoIJQsLUnGEqFdA/videos
youtube.com/watch?v=Bx9iBuKB8yw
thebondexperience.com/bond-videos/james-bond-shoe-shine/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

>LEATHER.

DISGUSTING.

I use Lincoln. People say kiwi leaves more of a gray finish but idk theyre both black dye lmao. Just polish a coat on till it feels smooth/not creamy or sticky, then wait 40 minutes and buff with brush or microfiber rag.

Saddle soap is good for rejuvenating a leather thing without altering the color, Huberds shoe grease is what I use for my black boots to make them softer and to prevent cracking.

MEZCALERO

i use vermont's bag balm, gives rid of scuffs and gives a nice finish. you should try it.

Can someone explain to me the stages of boot care and what each one does? Tried researching but I want something that a dumb person can understand. Like do I have to polish and condition? What if I did one and not the other? Can these things come in one like a polish and conditioning cream in one?

So what then? Textile synthesized from petroleum? Much worse, on top of the geopolitical implications, if morals was your go to argument...

You need polish so that they don't look like absolute shit, and conditioning so the leather stays nice. Go and figure

>oil boots from 1-6 times a year depending on conditions and how much you use them
>conditioner here and there, few times months maybe again depending
>polish the ever living shit out of them
oils are basically the lifeblood of leather, dry leather is fragile, looks like garbage, breaks easily etc. oil fixes this, you can give new life to jackets that look like garbage due to dryness just by oiling them proper
conditioner has some oils in it and also protects the shoe, so good idea to throw that one every now and then, doesn't really give the leather a nice shine, doesn't hide scuffs or marks and wears off kinda easy though
polish mostly just protects the shoe, looks nice and hides flaws and scuffs

Saphir Médaille d'Or is arguably the best shoe care product out there.
You should be using it if your shoes are 500$+.

youtube.com/channel/UCygkzPpueoIJQsLUnGEqFdA/videos

Here you will find all the info you need.

>200+ years everyone has been doing just fine with generic cheap shit that does the job
>during 2010 though Saphir™ completely revolutionaries the way shoes are cared for and nothing was ever the same again in the history of leather
I'm sure it's just fine but the shilling for this shit online has become a parody of itself, I care for a left boot with Saphir shit and right boot with the generic brand garbage from Walmart and even the owner of that brand is unable to tell a difference.

You really dont know what you are talking about, do you?
Do you actually own any leather shoes?

>You really dont know what you are talking about, do you?
Do you mang?
Feel free to tell me what sets Saphir apart from generic products that isn't the brand
That youtube channel is convincing and everything but surely you have enough ability to read media to understand he shills the shit cause he is making bank from it?

Saphir has been used for a long time, and most definitely does better job than whatever gunk they used (if anything) 200years ago

I guess for the record I should say, I have had bad experience with the absolute cheapest shit I have found when it comes the wax finish with some shoes but there is literally no difference between the 4 bucks generic brand one you can pick up from market to VERY high quality DELUXE SAPHIR™ brand shine that is made of HUNDREDS of CAREFULLY SELECTED chemicals
I mean the saphir one is still only what 14 bucks but don't pretend it's nothing but #menswear blogs shilling the name
I just buy whatever shit the local cobbler is selling cause they don't offer garbage and I just like supporting them.

youtube.com/watch?v=Bx9iBuKB8yw

Educate yourself.
Again, if you do not own actual good quality shoes, dont bother with Saphir, you can use generic shit for you shoes which will last 2 years tops anyway.

>same channel shilling for Saphir
uh oh
His description of why Saphir is the best is literally just the words they use to advertise the shit
>no petrolium
yeah like most brands anyway
>the finest ingredients
oh shit never mind this sold me
>nourishes your shoe
again just like most brands
Do you have any facts to back up that claim though?
>you can use generic shit for you shoes which will last 2 years tops anyway
See, the issue with this kinda 'arguing' is that you are just trying to attack me personally, it mostly makes me just question why are you so personally invested in fucking shoe shine brand that you feel you need to attack me but besides that I really don't want to stoop to your level and give you any kinda answer purely because that "argument" is based on your feeling of superiority over paying a lot of shoes which is entirely irrelevant to the actual matter in hand
Which is that Saphir isn't any better than generic shoe shine.
Do you have any kinda non-biased proof towards your point, maybe by actual cobbler or other kinda professional?
I mean come the fuck on, you open the video and as soon as that faggots face is shown he has a fucking huge neatly arranged PILE of Saphir products perfectly in shot to show in the video, you aren't this blind user, the man gets paid to advertise, it's even very common on youtube.

Without actually opening the channel this could be straight from Saphirs own youtube channel if it wasn't for the shit talking of other brand, he is reading from an ad script for crying out lout
>no petrolium
>no silicones
>all natural ingredients
>nourishes and conditions
>probably cures cancer
>gets you laid
>if it doesn't, it will suck your dick and leaves nice patina while it's at it

use shoe trees
brush your shoes after 1-2 wears

once in a while:
use leather conditioner to keep the leather moisturized
use shoe polish to restore the shine

DISREGARD THAT, IM A FAGGOT

Might be a dumb question but do I need to only condition fashion boots? A lot of the videos and guides I’m seeing are talking about shine. I don’t really want any of my boots to shine as that would look weird on wyatts, Ann D’s and guidis. All the videos seem to be talking about shoes like AE’s. Should I just use a leather conditioner and exclude wax polishes as these are what make shoes shine?

I’m . Am I just retarded? Clueless when it comes to this type of stuff

this, stop reading reddit; you don't need to clean, moisturise, polish and spray with holy water every wear.

Ok thank you. Is conditioner containing mink oil recommended? I’ve read that overtime it can soften leather too much

lexol conditioner is cheap and works fine

Yes You are retarded. I polish my work/walk/whatever boots because it makes me look less like a slob. I use Huberds she grease and it works great.

you wont be able to polish a shine on them ever again if you use mink oil. or so i've read. i think it's for work boots etc.

Saphir polish and rejuvenator, see this video for additional details.

thebondexperience.com/bond-videos/james-bond-shoe-shine/

I use saphir products. I use the conditioner on the first of every month and I use the black polish every other month or as needed. I wear $400 AE loafers every single day, they are my only shoes.

There is no need to clean or condition after ever use.

I've done it but it takes a while to get the mink out.

Inb4 some guy with 18 pairs of loafers announces that you should only wear a pair once a month and polish afterward

$400 on a pair of slippers

>wearing shoes costing less than 400$

lol poorfag

>Should I just use a leather conditioner and exclude wax polishes as these are what make shoes shine?

This is a worthwhile question. Much of the leather cleaning products serve to remove the excessive waxes, polishes & pigments. Premium shoe leather like Cordovan and Chromexel are treated with an abundance of oils to begin with.

Proper brushing is an important first step. A light passing over with a damp soft cloth is good practice. Light use of a leather moisturizer is more important than any waxes, polishes or pigments.

Very light waxing can be alright but you really don't need to do this at all. In fact, to moisturize the leather you would mainly use leather cleaner to strip off that wax in order for the moisturizer to be most effective.

Imho, I can most justify wax on the sides of the soles to protect against water and winter conditions. As for a mirror polish on the toe some guys go for that but I don't like the look or the reality of the upkeep schedule.

Properly cleaned and moisturized leather looks great as is. As for pigments and colouring I would again go to the soles as crisp black sides should be kept up. Add some brown to brown sole edges to keep them looking sharp. For Natural just a little moisturizer and neutral wax.

I hope that all makes sense. A good handle on what everything does and then knowing your own situation will help you figure out what will work best.

Personally, I'm thinking of mixing up some argan oil, lanolin, jojoba, and shea butter to use as a moisturizer / cleaner. Maybe just a little wax overall with extra on the soles and stitching. As with beard balms and most beauty products a lot of this is packaging and perfumes?

Cheers

Oh also, the leather cleaners often have turpenes / pine oil to clean off wax and dirt but give some thought to spraying a little well diluted natural real pine oil or antiseptic to the INSIDES of your shoes and boots every one in a while?

Definitely yes to using shoe trees as well. - pine shoe trees. Same idea about antiseptic and pulling out moisture applies.

Beyond that always get the right fit from the start and use the pen trick to start a clean, balanced and even top crease you'll be happy with.