Why is there a lack of sci fi architecture?

Why is there a lack of sci fi architecture?

Real estate bootlicker here

The problem with them, ESPESH with shit like Gehry's work, is that more often than not, they don't properly drain rainfall or snow melt, which leads to astronomically faster rates of decay and even failure, due to the odd shapes having a tendency to collect and pool water without any proper drainage or even... just an angle for shit to roll off of.

So all this water pools up every season and shit starts leaking and most construction is all prefabbed these days, while shite like OP pic is built from thousands of custom built and atrociously expensive bits of glass, steel and sheetrock that gotta be specially designed and fabbed for the unrealistic vision of a jagoff arkeetek who ain't got no real field experience and can't envision trapped runoff or smooth HVAC airflow to be an issue in the first place because he keeps his head firmly ensconced within his ass next the workstation running a copy of autoCAD he's been renting for ten grand a month so's he can continue spitting out blueprints for disney attractions that can't actually hack it outside of the virtual world that comprises 90% of his jobsite experience.

Surely you could design something with a futuristic aesthetic but also consider actual practical architecture in the process.

You could, it's just that people who design these futuristic joints don't have the real world experience that a builder in the field. They live in a world of meaningless data that doesn't matter in all sorts of extenuating circumstance. They don't design around "obsolete" concepts such as redundant structural supports. They use concrete according to tolerances prescribed in a lil' handbook that was written by a computer and doesn't take rainfall or cement blends into its listed failure tolerance ranges, which are shit anyway because IRL those values are all over the map and the handbook's numbers are just an average value gleaned from multiple tests.

Basically, there's a huge cultural and experiential divide between limp wristed image obsessed architect who live in a lukewarm bathtub filled by aesthetics, theory, assholes like Le Corbusier, too much Derrida, way too much self importance and education costs on par with your mom's weekly outlay on crack and St. Ides special brews (she loves the guava/passionfruit shit, get her some on the way home next time).

Actual builders are the socio-cultural opposite of this, and they kinda want to kick the architect in the head half the time because he invariably proposes the impossible on account he liked the look of it when he was on E last weekend.

It's very cost and labor prohibitive due to experimentation with materials, i.e. it would require very unique production to make such a thing as that picture that would price it out of being feasible.

I'm sensing a lot of emotional unrest from our bootlicker friend, but that aside, I suppose there could be more of such things if the demograohics of talented architects and installation artists were vast enough to have large overlapping populations and if the people who design these things were hired based on their overall talent rather than on their connections, wowpower, and cost efficiency as interpreted by people who aren't talented artists or engineers. Of course, maybe we just need to look harder for the few gems that are aesthetically and structurally sound.

It'll come to pass over time, but time will make some degree of this futurism the norm rather than the exception.

And lord, managing these sortsa buildings is a nightmare.

I don't 100% agree with this, but you're mostly on point.

I think another major issue is that as much as architects and fans/press circlejerk over this stuff, it doesn't really make functional sense and most clients seem to realize that. All these crazy shapes look super cool in a vacuum but they result in tons of wasted space where furniture doesn't work, and the second you start filling the place with the trappings of a real home or workplace the sci-fi illusion is shattered.

Most clients who ARE willing to spend stupid amounts of money on a huge impractical building seem to trend toward dictator-style tacky pseudo-"old world" clusterfucks and not sci-fi minimalism, too.

I take it you’re a builder of some description? I can see where you’re coming from for sure, I’ve worked on construction sites where it seemed as though no one really thought the plans out at all and everything was just done to look fancy.

>no one really thought the plans out at all and everything was just done to look fancy.

Exactly.

I started in construction, then into period renovations, then real estate. From being on the job - you could kinda feel the split between the builders and the architect, right? I mean, ofc nobody cared. It firs my memories of the labor-design dichotomy.

Yeah, wasted space and middling functionality.

>super cool
>in a vacuum

Couldn't have said it better.

That crazy building Frankie G. did for MIT or whomever a few years back?

Well, that and his other works as of late... are all starting to literally fall apart less than a decade after they were built. Dripping ceilings, failing HVAC, shorted wires from the rain permeating the structure and pooling snow melt on roof tops built without drainage or guttering.

Imagine you work on the board of some college. Your organization just spent hundreds of millions putting that building up, when you could have been diverting the cash to campus healthcare, refurbishing existing dorms and equipment, buy new components for the school network, hiring new teachers or giving a cost of living raise to the ones that are already employed and in need of every dime they can get... Times being what they are and all.

I dunno about you but I'd be pissed off.

You'd probably enjoy talking to my dad. He's a Harvard GSD grad and a licensed architect, but for the last 30+ years he's been a Hollywood set designer/art director and he fucking hates the state of contemporary architecture. I've never met anybody who could so articulately go on tirades about what's wrong with it. He gets the practical side a lot better than most architects, too, because he has to work so closely with the construction crews and deals with much stricter budgetary and time constraints than a typical architect.

>Hates the state of contemporary architecture.
>engineer

That's wild, my dad is a licensed NY PE with a specialty in concrete and structural failure.... The latter of which expresses itself in the occasional ten minute evisceration of contemporary architecture and the modern tendency to build everything right on the fucking edge of its tolerance level.

I've seen him make an architect cry, no joke, by basically poking a thousand holes in her design and poor understanding of materials & steel plasticity (how far you can band something before it stops returning to its original shape) outside of a laboratory.
And then he pulled out his own blueprint and schematics that eded up working beautifully in the end.

we were trying to get a century old woodframe structure to stop sagging in itself by supporting its core on multiple threaded steel rods. To spare you the language, we basically propped the fucking up with a new skeleton.

He's super picky about his crew, too. Usually just me and two other dudes. We all multitask.

Sounds like my kinda dude, honest.

> assholes like Le Corbusier, too much Derrida, way too much self importance and education costs on par with your mom's weekly outlay on crack and St. Ides special brews (she loves the guava/passionfruit shit, get her some on the way home next time).
You're a treasure m8

>sci-fi architecture
Would rather have a neo-classical resurgence desu, or more Prairie School stuff. If taste had to swing forward or back, it'd be way cooler to swing back atm.

why do the first four posts in this thread sound like they're written by the same person

They all went to college

thank you for coming to defense so quickly. you truly have a problem, an addiction. have a good day my friend

Astounding insecurity. Really. So afraid. And of what?

im just worried for u

As anarchitect student, I can already identify these people running around my faculty. These stupid ''art-hoe''/''mr. cool design'' types are fucking annoying with their unrealistic visions, as you said.
Anyway for OP; don't expect much change soon. Student the past few years and all years from now on will be trained excessively on making buildings and construction more sustainable and climate oriented, so crazy abominations will not make the cut 99% of the time.

You know fuck all about me. Let's change that.

Super ADD and ATM I'm unmedicated.
Currently working on a programming project. It's on my computer, it's maddeningly annoying to write code, and I can't do it for more than a few minutes to an hour at a time. Oh look there's Veeky Forums!

If you look at my use it spikes for a week or two then goes silent for a while.

But if you're worried about me, don't be. I quit all the shit I medicated with for years, largely so I would fit in easier, not panic.

When you clear out all the shit that's been holding you back, and you're ADD AF to begin with, you get a boisterous motherfucker. Add ti that how happy I am to be done with benzos and ambien and anti-D's and nicotine and all of it? Shit, I'm just really happy. Happy and confident.

Oh, and I got cured of depression a while back. Cured. Done. Ketamine therapy, several sessions. Done.

I feel like a million bux sometimes, brother.

yikes

protip: combining nmda antagonists + amphetamines will give you learning disabilities

have fun

I don't really have any plans to fuck with my brain ever again, but thanks

This style just makes me think of genocides forced by the whims and fashions of the upperclass and if filth and rampant disease.

You keep posting with this tripcode and everything you say makes me want to kill you and myself and honestly I hate it whether you're trolling or not

Ayyyyyy lmao

If I could give you my leftover benzos, I would. Don't take it all so seriously.

>anarchitect? whats that huh? like, an architect that rejects anything higher than 1 story because that would be a hierarchy? no, nobody?

nice.

adding to that:
> artistic extravagance attracts attention, strictly functional architecture does not.
you know how the best air venting and vacuuming system looks like? no you dont, because its fucking not visible.
but concrete triangles with not supports at 2/3 edges, that surely gets that architects career forward, because attention is the one currency that matters more than fiat money.

>Bundesverfassungsgericht, Germany
>supreme constitutional court of FDR
>Paul Baumgarten, 1965

forgot image
>Orquideorama, Joaquin Antonio Uribe Jardín Botánico de Medellín, Colombia
>botanical garden
>Plan B Architects, 2005

Well if it was real then it wouldn't be science fiction anymore, dummy.

Yessuh, that's right.

Maybe it's just my experience, but I seem to have stumbled across a lot of architects with a home address in toon town. After one particular renovation job was complete, I went to dinner with the crew, includingthe plumbers and labor and the architect. No business was discussed.

Got a new invoice later that month.

A new bill.... She tried to charge her hourly rate for dinnertime, lololololol