Is it true that Victorian era British prudishness was a reaction to the previous era "lewdness"?

Is it true that Victorian era British prudishness was a reaction to the previous era "lewdness"?

I read previous it used to be common for women to wear dresses with cleavage showing and non penetrative sex between unmarried couples was common place.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=0j5SFgWDNtE
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Also was the Prudish mostly a British thing or did it expand to other western countries?

Yea Regency Period was all about the king/aristocracy getting drunk, divorcing, and partying, and the fashion was flamboyant for both sexes

Victorianism was the worse thing that ever happened to British fashion. The Regency period harkens to the Greeks, so you know it was great.

I wish Victorian fashion would come back, I'm tired of sexy we need more femininity and modesty.

Femininity is unrelated to sex appeal? Sounds like a christian concept or something.

There is sexality in modesty too

In that I'd like to rip off her dress, maybe.

I'm interested on this too.

bump

Similarly, I've read that (in the U.S.) the "wholesomeness" of the mid-'30s to the mid-'60s (which peaked in the 1950s) was a reaction against the perceived degeneracy of the previous era (which was apparently quite lewd for its time)

I looked up some old French fashion drawings from the era and there seemed to be less cleavage and more high collars but that's all I got. Nothing scholarly lads.

Yeah. Also the 50s in particular was a huge attempt to normalize the war generation.

You had boatloads of men in their 20s who had only known war and/or Japanese hookers for the last few years coming home.

god this thread is pure cancer

the level of generalization, the sheer truncation of data, is just beyond sanity

How common were live in maids that wore qt uniforms?

Enlighten us, enlightened one

Well no not really, dressing modestly is explicitly NOT sexy. That's the whole point.

sexuality's pretty complicated and doesn't really have to make sense

>The Christmas Dessert
The pudding or the maid?

modesty is literally the opposite of sexuality/sensuality

>dressing modestly is explicitly NOT sexy
It's the implicit that some crave for.

t. muslim with hijab fetish

>he doesn't want elegant victorian clothing back in style.

Post Victorian maids

In the Victorian/Edwardian era?

Depends upon your wealth. For some classes it was common to have a number of households servants. In the early 1900s something in the region of one million British women were employed in domestic work.

>there will never be a BBC drama of cute teen housekeepers doing cute teen housekeeper things

a right bloody travesty it is, ain't it guv?

Why were the maid uniforms so CUTE!?

CUTE

Most higher class areas would have maids dressed like that. What about the lower class ones?

The uniforms may be cute but the women inside of them look "10/10 in Bongistan" tier.

>What about the lower class ones?
>maids

>Also was the Prudish mostly a British thing or did it expand to other western countries?

Well?

delete this

>le classy clothes *tips federeh xD*

yeah fuck off girls should be not only allowed but in fact encouraged to show some skin show those tits you fucking slut I don't live in some muslim fucking sandland to look at bitches dressed in black bullshit

Word

From what I've read the Americans were actually even more prudish at the time, I think because they were more religious. There's a story about them covering the legs of their furniture for decency, which while probably not true,m shows the stereotypes that existed.

Welcome to Veeky Forums.

t. Nigel Nigelson

My name is Rupert

>le victorians were prudish and didn't know how to have fun meme

That was mostly a British thing, and even then they still had fun (albiet Family Friendly) entertainment.

youtube.com/watch?v=0j5SFgWDNtE

Yes, most American cities had legalized red districts and whorehouses around the turn of the century. Progressivism put an end to that.