/DIY/

Do it yourself/ re-purposing general
rose from the grave three days later edition
Anything about making your own clothes, customizing and/or tailoring goes here. Talk about your projects. Ask Questions. Share information. Help each other out.

PASTEBIN:
pastebin.com/hnXtzTk7
(if you think the pastebin lacks any information, just ask)
Japanese magazines, just in case you need them
pastebin.com/Q2iDYiAM
best of last year:
www4.zippyshare.com/v/dWWW4PnW/file.html

last thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

pastebin.com/cPsW7xue
youtube.com/watch?v=0ibc69eb-kc&feature=youtu.be
warosu.org/fa/thread/S13037763#p13038640
fabric.com/buy/0535613/p-kaufmann-wool-blend-melton-aberdeen-frost
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

C'mon guys post something

idk, what do you want to do with it?

I'll bump till I die

I'm trying to recreate this mask. I made a pattern, but I run into a problem. Whenever I try to talk, move my lower jaw, the mask sags. Perhaps it is because I use jute (cheap material) instead of leather or wool felt, but nonetheless. The mask was originally never made with the intention to talk, because it's a fashion show art couture accessory. Just for show.

Do you have any suggestions how to alter the mask in order to be able to talk?

OP, I don't want to be a shill but can you please add this to the OP pasta next time?
pastebin.com/cPsW7xue

You really need to make a best of collage.

BUMP

post a pic of your mask

If I take off the mask, will he die?

>OP, I don't want to be a shill but can you please add this to the OP pasta next time?
sure
>You really need to make a best of collage.
I'll try to find the time

well you would need to make sure the material is stiff (either by the natural tendencies or with interfacing),you have two choices to have the mask have a mobile chin, or have the mask be stationary. For option one you could create a hinged jaw, however I dont reccomend this because the mask will not go back to its original shape without the use of either well hidden elastic or wet formed leather gussets. Number 2 is what i reccomend you could make the mask sit a bit forward using some foam on the inside of the forehead and cheeks around your nose (you would obviously have to create the mask without material under your chin) then the mask will retain the shape and you can talk.

Dyed my cons scarlet red w rit dye, soles got dyed but i think it looks like a sort of post punk/punk revival type of thing wat do you think?

Flipped

Just shoot me

Is this a skirt?
I think that slipknot aren't looking for a new band member

it was a skirt, now it's a backpack

>pristine laces
Reeee

I think the red tinge is cool but I think the red laces fit with the theme better than those white ones.

I only have one pair of those laces lol I ripped the other while skating and my switch game is wack so these were left ;(

How does a pair of red converse look "post punk"

the overdyed gum and mismatch laces is why sorry if I miscategorized it

How do I attach the foam to the fabric?
With foam, I could model a mask to look like a square?

I want to remake this ll bean anorak. I love the fit on my body and it makes a great outline on me.

Any tips on getting cleaner lines when doing embroidery?

make sure you keep enough pull on the thread at all times if that makes sense.

basically keep it tight.

I want to replicate the jacket the blonde girl is wearing, mostly the text at the back because I love Once Upon A Time. I will have to find a jacket I like and somehow get the text on the jacket. Wondering how to go about it?

youtube.com/watch?v=0ibc69eb-kc&feature=youtu.be

warosu.org/fa/thread/S13037763#p13038640
How's it coming along?
Have you drafted a pattern?
What fabric do you have in mind?

So i've never made clothing from scratch before, but I've been really into mod culture recently and I want to make a wool suit jacket with this fabric: fabric.com/buy/0535613/p-kaufmann-wool-blend-melton-aberdeen-frost

Problem is, thinking of buying 4 yards worth (so i have wiggle room to fuck up), but it's a pretty penny, and I don't want to spend too much bank without knowing what to do. Is there any good book on suit making i can read on? I dont want to go to school (i'm not that serious about fashion), and i don't want to get it fully tailor-made (i'm in NY so prices are high).

What do?

Well I moved into a new place so I can use my sewing machine now
Im thinking of making some lunar cargos or sewing the canvas mail bags onto some converse

Just listening to some a e s t h e t i c Neon Indian and I think I'll make some doodles for this thread and maybe make another lunarcore thread it's been a little while

Kinda excited to finally start sewing again, even if it's just tailoring my baggy pants into tapered lunar pants

Finished a second one today. It's a little basic, but I've never embroidered stuff before.

Hello anons, what is the best type of dye to use to dye 65% polyester 35% cotton jacket?

>sewing the canvas mail bags onto some converse
?

Ya, to make DiY "mens" cargo X-hi's
It's incredibly difficult to find cheap cargo X-hi's for men and they're usually very expensive

So I was thinking of taking a regular cheap canvas shoe and sewing Canada air mail canvas bags onto them since they're both canvas and making the converse shoe taller with a cargo pocket

It's not that hard to figure out

I recently dyed this anorak, the left pic is before. middle is after, lighting is weird on the middle pic. the right is taken with flash and is what color of it actually looks
any one have any tips on dyes, I want to try some others

Anyone have experience making your own shoes? I heard lasts are easy and cheap to get online but the best I can find are not my size or only half a pair.

Pretty cool, user. The coverage looks solid. How did you dye it?

you're probably going to want something like a drill press or awl if you want to sew

I've made leather sandals so I have some of the tools already.

my advice to you would be to be careful about where you stick the needle, your lines are a bit shitty. embroidery is about precision, if you mess up a stitch just undo and redo it.

used rit black powder dye, mixed it around in some container with warm water

e6000 for glue, you can make it a square if you want to, but you can keep it as is if you want to also.

Bump for this

I’m planning on making a pair in the german world war style, unlined with blake welts and additional half soles;I really don’t understand why everyone praises the goodyear welt so much

I should point out that blake stitching is not possible by hand so if you want to hand make a pair of blake welt shoes you're out of luck. This ties in to a reason Goodyear welts are often preferred. Most any cobbler can replace a goodyear welt sole but to replace a blake welt they'd need a blake stitch machine. Another downside to blake is that they're less water resistant and less durable than goodyear.

bump

The rationale is that this is how the germans made their combat boots for quite a while, I’ve talked to knochensack about it and he has his resoled simply by gluing on a new half sole. If shit really doesn’t work out i’ll just peg them in the manner similar to american civil war brogans and austro-hungarian boots

I’ll probably lose interest halfway through, fuck me

Are those yours? Looking great

i would say to use less thread when doing the outlines. it looks chunky so just split the thread and use say 4 strands instead of 6. try out some different stitches like backstitch or whatever to make it more interesting.

try it out on some cheap (but still stiff) fabric first. if you fuck up its not so bad. then you wont need to buy so much of the expensive wool.

Tried to emulate a set of Engineered Garments x Freaks Store collab shirts with these "hidden pockets" in the side. Shirt was thrifted for about 2-3 bucks. Nice and sturdy work shirt with some nice vintage fading. Then I had my trusted tailor add the pockets and clean up my DIY band collar for 10 bucks..

I think it turned out really nice. An Engineered Garments clone for 15 dollars or so. It's a a bit oversized and definitely not as cleanly designed as a proper EG shirt, but I dig the look and the price is unbeatable. The pockets help clean the silhouette so it doesn't hang loose in the worst way and look unflattering.

I wish I could sew so I could do these experiments myself.

I used an ebook mentioned here called Pattern Making for Menswear a couple of months back in order to create a basic bodice based off of my dimensions.

I struggled with having a sense of doubt about the quality of my patterns for a couple of months now. I spent a good amount of time taking my measurements by myself, and drawing the patterns out had me second guessing myself as to whether my measurements were off or not.

So, last night I finally mustered up the courage to cut a bodice from it with some muslin I had balled up in the corner of my room. I couldn’t find my iron, so I just said fuck it. I cut it out, put a few basting stitches in it to put it all together, and put that bad boy on. To my amazement, it actually fit me. It wasn’t properly sewn up or anything with seam allowance and all that added into it. The only thing that was difficult was getting my fat head into the neck hole of it.

Can anyone give me pointers on how I could cut around the armhole curves of my pattern without getting those jagged shark-tooth type edges? I’m using Gingher fabric scissors, but the problem still persists.

It's not hard to learn to sew
But if you have the money for a tailor you probably don't have the time to learn to sew

Hi

Ive never sewn anything before and im trying to make a pair of pants. What websites do y'all recommend for denim/fabrics

painted on these jeans, went for an art ho aesthetic, thoughts?

you bang dudes,

I've been looking for an anorak and I really like what you have. W2c?

It was cheap and I do know how to sew but I'm very poor at it. so I took it to the trusted family tailor. I tend to hand-sew since our machine is fucking stupid anO constantly breaks or snags. I can do easy alterations, but complicate stuff like sleeve shortening, slimming, and pockets and shit I'm not even going to bother on a 3 dollar thrift store shirt

i think its cool, what Lee's are those?

looks like you sat on shit m8 :(

Fashion design student here, will give you some pointers on pattern making and garment construction.

You did a really good job on the actual bodice, but remember that it's a basic block FROM which you draft your final garment, once you've added in the measurements that allow the movement and the fit you're looking for.
- the basic bodice is not designed for the head to pass through it without some sort of opening (a slit on the back, on the shoulder, a full opening like a regular dress shirt etc.) unless you're set on using some some sort of knit/stretch fabric;
- same goes for the armholes, they will be a bit tight, so you'll need to tweak that based on the kind of fut you're looking for.

As far as the construction is concerned, buy a sewing machine if you don't already own one. Hand sewing is tedious and unless you're a pro at it, the stitches will not be as sturdy and even as with a sewing machine.
- ALWAYS cut your fabric with the sewing allowance, even the muslin;
- when you cut the fabric, especially on the rounded parts of the pattern, remember to keep the bottom blade almost touching the table/surface you're cutting on, and DON'T close the scissors all the way to avoid having those jagged edges;
- use a zigzag stitch to stop the fabric from fraying, which is inevitable especially on those round areas (neckhole, armhole).

Good luck man, keep on practicing.

just go to a fabric store

ur doing gods work thank u

Thanks for the feedback. It's 6 strand thread so it is on the chunky side, I'll mess around with other ways to thread it.

You too

>went for an art ho aesthetic
nailed that
but as another user said, it kinda looks accidental from far away
use more satured colours next time

What about metal wiring?

bump

As in to create a wireframe and cover it with fabric.

bump

bump

So I purchased a sewing machine last week, learned how to set it up and get the thread in place + some very basics.

I tried sewing sleeves I cut off one hoodie onto another hoodie that I cut the sleeves off of, but I ran into an issue. The thread is loose and jumbled after I finish a section. I got both sleeves on with the machine, but am I missing something to complete the stitch? like do I have to knot the thread off? Maybe I have a setting on the machine that is giving each stitch too much slack (length) and could be causing the giant mess of thread....

Just if anyone has experience or advice, the whole thing has kind of put me off using and learning the machine for the last few days. I'll post a few pics of the problem

i would test on a piece of fabric first until you find the settings that work for your machine.
if theres a dial i usually have it at 2 or 3 (from what i can remember) because that will determine the tension, and it also depends on the fabric your working with. 0 tension is the setting you use for free machine embroidery and that typically gives a huge mess of thread because its so loose.
if its just the end of the thread at the end thats free, doing some reverse stitches over it will help keep it in place.
hope this helps

this is a picture of what is happening

It must be the number setting I was using... Will further experiment this weekend... thank you user for quick reply

no problem user, youre welcome.and yes that looks like the tension number problem, so should be fixed easily. good luck

found it thrifting, tag says ilana. your best bet to find one is also probably thrifting

Like Thom Browne FW14?

I want to keep wearing these as my beaters but I accidentally spilled paint on them. Any ideas on how to make them look better or should I just throw them in the bargage

last bump

more paint splatters

Do what Margiela did with the chucks.

Dye the fabric (maybe attempt a fade?), add paint splatters over it!