Solovair vs doc marten

Ok guys seriously is solovair just a meme? Are either brands even Veeky Forums?

>never seen the inside of an English Factory

Have both, prefer my solovairs over the docs. But if you can get docs cheap enough then they are worth it.

Can this style of boot be /tw/

They're really expendable boots, so you can't just have a pair, wear it everyday and expect it to last. They look good, sure, but they last like sneakers.

Overall, the "corrected grain" most of these boots use is really just plasticy leather that can only be polished, both on "DA REAL DEAL"-Solovairs and Docs, though some models may differ. The soles are a bit thicker on the British-boots, but still not ideal for cold weather (they can actually freeze and crack pretty easily under 0-degrees Celsius) and the tread doesn't last all that long. I also can't emphazise enough the need to let these boots rest for 24h after a day of wear. Seriously, when a clerk at shoe-store says that "you can wear these every day and they'll still be good after years", they're actually screwing with you so you won't let the leather dry and settle down and within 2-3 months you'll have holes and ugly cracks all over, so you'll just have to run to the same store to get a new pair. I actually got a hole on my oiled and polished Thai-made 1490s after spending an entire Suicidal Tendencies-show in the pit. It was a spot that appeared unharmed beforehand, and it still gave away after some 110lb-skaters stomped on it with his checkered sneaker.

The reason DMs (and in some aspect, Solovairs) are art-hoe/soyboy-core, is because it's a plastic-y boot that tries to appear hardcore through "da old tradishusnnsnsn". No wonder "the working-class boot" (which actually used to cost around £20 a pair, or £60 today of a general store, thus being a quite expendable shoe-model, the high-price is just branding) is now co-opted for literal nu-males who try to look more masculine with a shoddy """combat boot"""". They're a fashion boot, and if you want something that lasts, just get milsurp. It's cheaper, easy to get repaired, and since it's made for actual use within intensive enviroments, it'll also outlast anything if you give enough of a shit to oil and polish them every month or so.

gay fit and even gayer pose

got any recs for milsurp boots in the same basic style?

The difference in quality between docs and milsurp is actually laughable. Even the mid 80s British "boot, combat, high" which was known for being a piece of shit that fell apart quickly is visibly higher quality even in online pictures.

Look for austrian, czech, Norwegian. There might be a few more but those come to mind off the top of my head. Austrian in particular are widely recommended on Veeky Forums and I absolutely love my pair (wearing them today on icy sidewalks in ~20 F and they're perfect)

Corcorans if you're willing to budget out. They're replicas of the boots Americans used in WW2. Also, the French have some good designs. The Austrian paratrooper-boot (pic related) is pretty wide-liked around here and a pair with new Vibram soles is like 50€ + postage.

That's why milsurp-boots here in Finland are like 20-40€ a pair, most I've seen were even resoled with new heels and insoles. If Docs were made with full-grain leather and had sturdier soles, I'd consider buying a new pair.

The French "ranger boots" with the double buckles on the top of the shaft are really beautiful but they were mostly made around like '55-'70 so it's pretty hard to find a pair in good condition. At some point though I want to get a pair of the OG roughout ones and have a cobbler restore the leather because the silhouette is really top tier as far as combat boots go imo, and having handled several pairs the construction is excellent and the leather is super thick.

I've looked pretty heavily into corcorans, my only concern being the finish and the bulkiness. Also not entirely sold on the cap toe. There's some examples of people stripping the finish like pic related but its still a little sketchy.

Those look decent. Are they full grain leather? I was complaining in another thread about not wanting to go full skinhead as I like to cuff/ tuck jeans with this style.

w2c? ebay is out of my size

The austrian boots are full grain. As far as not looking like a skinhead I used to be a little hesitant about it with my austrian boots but honestly, middle class white kids have already reclaimed Docs, and at a glance, most black combat boots look pretty similar. Tucking just says "I'm a middle class white kid and punk interests me," cuffing says "I'm a middle class white kid and workwear interests me." I also wear my boots with thrifted suit trousers and idk what that says but I think it looks decent and it's comfy af in the winter.

both are meh. Either go high-end or, as others are pointing out, go surplus.

They're still made in the same factories today, or do you exclusively mean the brown rough-outs?

I'm about to buy some austrian paratrooper boots. Does anyone have any pics of them being worn?

seconded, fit pics would be awesome.
also checked

here
I've never owned tall boots. Will I look retarded if I don't tuck my pants into them?

here
10" is kinda a lot to tuck. I'm 6'7'' with long ass legs and it still looks kinda dumb. Cuffing is probably ideal

They look so different without the proper tread on them

I don't think those are the exact model but they're pretty close. I almost like the flatter tread.

>I almost like the flatter tread.

Wrong

I own the pair with the proper tread but i do like the flat tread on them

Have any fit pics?

I mean the brown roughout ones. Black smooth leather is fine and all but the buckles with the brown roughout makes more sense aesthetically imo.

These aren't austrian memes and don't really look like them besides being black boots

It's not much but here's how I'm wearing them today

How the fuck are these boots supposed to fit? I swear I'm in-between sizes. And the size down looks like it's for midgets for some reason.

How's the sizing?

TTS with thick socks and insoles. They're pretty wide and tall without insoles but the length was always exactly right for me.

Do the Austrian paratrooper boots last a long time?

I think that's the point buddy