Who were your favorite Civilization from antiquity (4000 BCE - 500 CE)? Mine were the Hittites...

Who were your favorite Civilization from antiquity (4000 BCE - 500 CE)? Mine were the Hittites, primarily because of their uniforms and rivalry with the New kingdom.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=wvUQcnfwUUM
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

The later Roman Empire.

Celtic aesthetics are pretty nice. Close to nature, but nevertheless cultured.

Tie Between the Indus Valley Civilization, The Minoans and the Sarmatians.

The indus valley civilization due to their masterwork technology and innovation on a time most cultures had barely come off of the stone age.

Minoans because of their peaceful ways and exquisite art, they were also europe's very first civilization and one of the most technologically and societally advanced of their time. All without being involved in a single major war, indeed a life in minoan crete was, for the standards of the time, one of pure bliss.

Sarmatians because they are METAL AS FUCK, i mean seriously have you read the archaeological findings and greek accounts on them? Their entire culture could easily fit on one of Robert E. Howard's Hyborian books. Scalpings, drinking the blood of their defeated enemies on "cups" fashioned from their skulls, brutal human sacrifice and drug induced trances.... Heck they were almost the real life equivalent of the armies of mordor and yet people talk so few about them and prefer to overrate meme vikings and other more cliché barbarians.

>uniforms

Literally the worst reason to love the Hittites. How about their civil service, a concept they pretty much invented, or their obsession with "collecting" gods to worship?

Assyria

Just why?

Post Roman Celts (Romano British, Hyberno Welsh, and the Old North). Nice mix of Late Roman and Celtix cultures.

Romans. Their administration and public works were incredible. Besides I'm European so I have to have a certain fondness for the people who invented the alphabet we're using. Their aesthetics are awesome (even if I'm conditioned to think so because of the fact that they are the progenitors of Imperial imagery in general), as was their military tradition.

Since that's a broad timeline, I'm going to have to go with the Han dynasty. If it counts, the Zhou dynasty with all its myriad constituent (often conflicting) states is quite interesting as well.

Assyria, Bactria and Thrace.

Literally pleb tier

The Hittites, Minoans and the Phoenicians

forgot the nordic bronze age culture.

The Assyrians, sweet beards

Ancient Egypt easily. I had tens of books about it. I was so happy kid when grandma took me there for a 2 week long sightseening vacation :3

Scythians

good taste

these

thats cute user

>Has visited Egypt
I'm jelly.

Assyria and Hebrew.
Assyria experienced a civilization-wide apocalypse with the civil war, disease, and hordes of northerners.

Hebrews, despite being illiterate herdsmen, developed the most profound philosophy of life to ever exist, even going so far as to became the central founding doctrine to Western Civilization/Christendom

It's fascinating, disturbing, and merits more respect than it gets.

Minoans obviously.

Sassanids

haters gonna hate

>women's dress meant getting their tits out
L-lewd

The classiest motherfuckers to ever exist.

My nigga.

What is this nigger tier shit? LMAO OP said ''civilization'' not a bunch of ooga boogas living in straw huts and praying to Zulu Kabulu seamen god

In reality they were disgusting bitches ever seen a woman without make up? Yeah exactly.

But we don't even know where did they come from.

Indo-Aryans.

Those are ancient Sardinians

Maybe just a rumor, but I heard the Hitites started bio warfare with sick donkeys they'd send to enemy cities

The Eternal Hittite shows his perfidity again.

>CE
Respectfully fuck off, friend.

That said, the Roman Republic, from its height (Punic Wars) to its collapse under Caesar. Not so much because of the civilization or history itself, though both are interesting, but because of its organization and institutions. It was THE shining example of Republicanism, unmatched throughout history. It is the only Republic all Republics that came after it have tried to replicated, directly or indirectly, because it just worked so damned well it put the empire to shame (barring a few talented rulers like Augustus and Trajanus).

I'd like to see an easy to digest description of all the institutions of the Roman Republic once, because it can get pretty confusing.

Sea Peoples

Well done, Egypt, well done, HOWEVER

>That fucking face on the Sutton Hoo helmet

Who are them top 4 meant to be ?
Top left; Varangian guard ? or Rus (in b4 not germanic argument)

Top 3 to the right; migration era Vandals ?

Bottom Left; Saxon ? Anglo (-saxon) ?
Bottom Middle; Viking Era Scandinavian ?
Bottom Right; Norman ?

>Tfw my old classics book had a couple of sketches of minoan dress and I used to wank to it all the time because I had no internet

Simpler times

>BCE

Was Nordic Bronze Age Scandinavia Finnic or Germanic at that time ?

Germanic most likely, they were Indo Europeans

What the hell are Finns actually
>inb4 Mongolian

they are Finno-Ugric

The Sumerians are the most intriguing. Many firsts to be found among them, including the dividing of time into increments of sixty and twelve, contracts, the flood myth.

Ur would seem like it would be a cozy place to live if you were wealthy. You might wake up, walk to the market and take care of business by noon. Then go inside and then eat, smoke, and talk to your neighbours all afternoon. In the evening, drink alcohol, listen to the lyre and sleep on the roof under the stars on a balmy evening.

This thread is about civilizations.

Kjukkels, confirmed with hanging out with people who need to paint their face everyday to be presentable. Not every girl is ugly with makeup, my wife never wears makeup, besides makeup makes your face without it uglier, its pretty bad for your skin

>my wife never wears makeup

and your wife looks like what would happen if a gorilla could have a child with rhino

I don't get this. Egypt was the only nation to beat them in battle several times

le snownegro maymay XD

t. we wuz aeneas n sheit

The helmet is from the Nordic bronze age so maybe 12th-8th century bc if I recall correctly

C E L T S
E
L
T
S

They're featured on an Egyptian inscription. Also plebs don't know about the rest of nations.

yes I know.

Leave Crete to Us

>age of empires soundrack starts playing

- Parthian & Sasanian Persia for being Rome's economic, cultural, and military counterpart
- Mauryan & Gupta India for their achievements in the arts and sciences
- Scythians & Sarmatians because mounted peoples are always cool
- Ancient Greeks because they laid the foundations of much of what would be in Western civilization and they were daring as fuck. The exploits of the Ten Thousand are epic beyond belief and it boggles my mind that nobody's made a movie about this.

Germanic civilization is the modern world, brah.

>Germanic
>civilization

Greeks, Romans
Sumerians, Ancient Egyptians
Sanskrit-speaking Indians
Tocharians (perhaps tribal, but whatevz)
Hebrews

Ancient Greeks are also my favorite, was about to post that Mycenae was my favorite civilization.

>those grade-A tiddies

In hoc signo vinceris!

How about having the first written Indo-European language?

>or their obsession with "collecting" gods to worship?

Romans sort of did this too. They thought they conquered all these people because Romans were so damn pious even foreign gods favoured them over their own people.

>patrician oligarchy whose lifeblood depended on the enslavement of foreign peoples
>shining example of Republicanism

Chinks were pretty cool during that time period.

I identify with the Scythians so deeply.

Classical Athens was the coolest political entity by far in antiquity. It's astounding that one democratic city-state in age of totalitarian empires could produce such great men as Alcibiades and Pericles, all accomplished orators, soldiers, poets, and statesmen, as well as Socrates, the greatest philosophical mind in the West for two millennia. There's something romantic about the landscape of classical Greece in general, where, despite the momentous, world-changing events taking place, "not a hamlet was too small to be unimportant."

This.

Mycenaeans.

No consensus on when they entered Greek. No consensus on how they integrated with the natives. No consensus on if they were a unified entity, several kingdoms/states, or independent citadels. No idea how their religion was structured, or how it came to be and eventually become classical Greek religion. No idea exactly how far they travelled, either.

After that probably Egypt and then the Minoans.

The Mycenaeans were the Tribe of Dan who migrated into Greece after the Northern Tribes of Israel were scattered by the Assyrians.

Niggers....

Niggers Everywhere.

Bronze age scandinavia was pretty classy bruh

Heck on a worldwide scale, the bronze age had the coolest civilizations, everything was unique and extravagant.

That'd be interesting if it wasn't wrong.
But I guess the mere fact that theory exists is interesting in its own right.

Why do you think it's wrong?

Dumping more cool norse bronze age pics.

Remember, this era also saw the start of the famous ship burials.

Was Scandinavia ever that warm?

Because Mycenaean culture demonstrates continuity with pre-Greek and Minoan culture as well as a culture group in the Bulgarian region (pre-proto-greeks or maybe proto-greco-phrygian).

Besides, the Philistines were Mycenaeans and they settled in Canaan relatively late.

Yes, apparently, you could even grow grapes there back then.

Fuck you faggot don't use BCE and CE. Use BC and AD. All this historical revisionism is bullshit.

youtube.com/watch?v=wvUQcnfwUUM

The Tribe of Dan always had an independent culture from the rest of the Tribes of Israel, and intermingled heavily with Tyre. They were notable among all of Israel as being a seafaring Tribe based out of the port of Jaffa, which would have easily given them interconnection with the Minoan culture of Crete. They are in fact said to have left Israel right before the Assyrians invaded and scattered the other tribes in order to migrate into other lands and create their own cultures.

There is a massive misconception that the nation of Israel is comprised entirely of Jews. Only one Tribe of Israel, the Tribe of Judah, was comprised of Jews. The rest were not Jews. Judah was the King Tribe, so their name was often conflated with all of Israel, but the 10 Northern Tribes of Israel rebelled against the two (technically 3, since the Tribe of Levi, the Priest Tribe, didn't own any land) Southern Tribes of Israel.

The 10 Northern Tribes were scattered by the Assyrians into Europe were they became paganized, and the 2 Southern Tribes were scattered into Arabia and Africa.

No wonder they migrated after the European cool-down.

Indus Valley.

tfw you will never sacrifice slutty slave-girls at your funeral.

Could the tribe of Dan have been connected to the Dynen, a sea people friom Adana (S.Eastern Turkey) and probably identifiable with the Greek Danaoi?

>ooga booga rock painting
>snownigger with sharp stick
>civilization

WE WUZ AIR YANS N SHIEEET

Yes, the Tribe of Dan became among the largest Tribes after the scattering of Israel and spread all across the Mediterranean and European world. They founded the Danaan Dynasty in Greece, and the Tuatha de Danann in Ireland, who founded the Druidic Priesthoods of the Celtic people.

I know that they founded the Mopsus dinasty in Anatolia since it is confirmed by Luwian/phoenician steles found at Adana and the Acheans are mentioned too in those insctiptions

Yes, I've even heard that the royal families of Troy were of Israeli descent as well.

Pure joy