Who /ancestry/ here?

Who /ancestry/ here?
Post how far back you've got, and anything interesting.

>1700
>Oldest relative found
>Bitching big guy in Shetland called Magnus Duncan

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peace_of_Brzesc_Kujawski
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lakandula
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edward_Lively
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

My oldest relative is some German merchant from the 1600s or sth if I recall correctly, his descendants migrated through Russia to Finland

16th Century German merchant somewhere in Bavaria

I found an ancestor from 1500's England by the name of Matilda Sowell. Turns out that he might've be semi-illiterate since his surname is different from an older generation. I would have to contact my family who actually have the records and looked through this.

French lord attested in 1030.

That's pretty cool. Which region of France?

Charlegmane ~800 AD

Followed by some Abbasid prince in 1010

I'm really not surprised, almost everyone is descended from noblemen

Going back eighteen generations in the male line my ancestor was one of the Lithuanians nobles who put their signature to the peace settlement with the Teutonic Order ending their failed intervention in the Lithuanian civil war in 1435.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peace_of_Brzesc_Kujawski

Well it was part of the Duchy of Savoy, but in what is generally considered Burgundy. Not far from Lyon.

1500 Lakan Dula, King of Tondo.
I'm descended from one his sons named Don Dionisio Capulong.

There is one interesting guy from my mother's side named Don Juan de Manila who rebelled against the Spanish at 1585.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lakandula

>tfw the only prominent member of my family was an archbishop and therefore an ancestor of no one

I don't know, some priests kept wives before the Council of Trent made celibacy mandatory.

My oldest relative is brian boru last high king of Ireland, after he conquered ulster a nephew of his settled there in modern day cullyhanna on land which we have held through plantations and famines, the history of soldiers in my family last until late 2 decades ago when my uncle was imprisoned for the murder of a occupiying soldier

I guess you could say you wuz kangz

Furthest back I can go is a 12th century war-hero, captured a castle and the family was awarded privileges that lasted all the way up to the 19th century. We still have the parchment with the signatures renewing the family's privileges from 1467 all the way up to the 1800s.

>live in catholic country
>thanks to Trento it's easy for everyone with enough time to track it's past back to at least the 16th
>some faggots burnt the church of the village where all my early 20th century ancestors lived.

lmao antifas

around the time of the gold rush apparently great great grandfather was the son of a concubine to a rich land owner got chased out of the house by murderous first wife after dad fell sick. apparently he traveled around china , to moscow , south america , then settled in texas.

>1600
>Oldest of mine
>Juan de Ortega, Spanish settler of Mexico.

Poor Welsh family went to the colonies to become poor Virginia tobacco farmers and then moved west to become poor Kentucky tobacco farmers. Then they stayed that way for 200 years until my grandpa got the bright idea to actually graduate highschool and get a job as a factor worker.

Mom's side was brought over as slaves from Ghana, who likewise did not rise out of poverty until the first 3rd of the 20th century.

All in all I guess I should be pretty grateful for my current standing in life considering how many poorfags I'm descended from.

>Oldest known relative tracing back to the Greek War of Independence (~200 years ago)
>Just showed up one day in a tiny village and only gave vague answers about where he came from.
>Fought in the war then stayed in the village and started a family.
>Family name basically means "guy from that one place a bit north of here".

Grandparents from both sides came to New York City in the 50s from Ukraine. I don't know the details, but our ancestors were probably serfs.

Apparently on my mother's side as far back as Cerdic of Wessex. No idea about my dad's side though.

This is all I have got. Around 1600-1700.
>tfw family sided with Cromwell.

Χαχα τρελο! Εχω kαι εγω προγονο του '21! Ποιανου εισαι εσυ;

>17th century
>some tailor in ottoman times
>only reason we know he existed is because of the family ring passed down

>1900
>Great great granduncle fought in the Second Boer war (Grenadier Guards)

I have a lot of ancestors that fought in WW1, too. Mostly Germans, some Scotsmen and Englishmen.

Wish I was wuz Kangz so that people in future tell all they kids they descended from me.

Sounds like Grimaldi, but it isn't.

I think that guy might've been a criminal or something.

1066 (supposed, 1120? containing an actual record)
Supposedly my patrilineal ancestor fought alongside William the Conqueror and then settled in England a few decades later. Also, I did a DNA test and my YNDA was I-M253 (aka I1a), which suggests that they were indeed Norsemen who settled in Normandy. I also found some a document about my ancestor who was ransomed during the Hundred Years War. The decided to settle in Ireland during the 15th century for some reason, and settled in America right before the Revolution. They were Patriots.

Everybody else in my family were peasants.

My earliest relative in the Americas was a fairly unsuccessful pirate who settled in what is now New York State in the 1620s and became a farmer.

Halfdan the Old ~700 AD

His offspring, such as william the conquerer, ended up founding many of the royal families of Europe.

I thought it was pretty cool to be able to trace back that far, but its not all that special since he has millions of living descendants.

The oldest one I know of is a couple of basques who migrated here in the 1700s.

I know because those two carried a gene that provokes early-onset Alzheimer and it spread in a geographical isolated population.

My dad comes from there and he has some relatives who suffered it.

Nope, in fact they lived in a part of the Venetian Republic so they would have probably opposed Genoa and the Grimaldis. Sadly no lands or money remain from that side of the family.

I got a family castle that some shit head faggot drove into bankruptcy and then fled to america.

Fucking scotts. he was probably a liberal faggot too.

>muh locke

Shameful.

On the other side they were just shepherds in switzerland.

>I got a family castle that some shit head faggot drove into bankruptcy
I know that feel. Rich ancestors with gambling habits suck, knowing you could have had megabucks and not having them is even worse than simply not having them.

>Rich ancestors with gambling habits suck
I too know this pain. The Irish side of the family owned a bunch of factories, and even have a few streets named after them in the next town over. But the husband died, the wife became alcoholic and gambled away all the money, and the kids all ran away to start families where nobody's recognize them.

>tfw great grandfather was polygamist that was fun to find out i have seven great grandmothers

>greatgreatgrandfather was born on farm and literally no actual proof he existed aside from word of mouth because he died and no one knows where farm is becausw of situation like

A guy named Strong Jacob, who emigrated from Switzerland to the US.
Dude was jacked as hell but also a true pacifist because he was Mennonite. My family passes tall tales about him down to this day.

He was born in the 1720s, forgot to mention

>1860's
>A smattering of relatives around that period, hard to tell exactly how closely related they are to me however
>Fucking Ireland in the 1860's, clan names everywhere spelled differently, one or two farmers might be the right guy, all fucking potato farmers living in County Sligo
>If you look for more info on them the records often say "Town hall burnt down/church burnt down, all records past 1867 lost" or something along those lines
>Fuck my life

That's my dad's side, on my mom's side my grandpa told everyone we were German until the day he died, at which point he cried and admitted we are actually Czech Slavs...

>Literally shit for records going back before 1920 on that side of the family...

Sadness fills me, even if they were shitty peasants, I'd love to know about them

Closely related to Hernan Cortes, conquistador of mexico, on my mothers side. He was like my direct ancestor's cousin or nephew. Which is funny because my dad's side is almost all mexican indians, enslaved by spain.

>potatoes in europe
>before 1492

>Vikings in murica'
>Vikings in Ireland
>Potato in murica'
>Vikings bring potato
>Yurop get tato

Prove me wrong Veeky Forums

Mum's side - Conn of the Hundred Battles
Dad's side - Ragnar Lodbrok

I found some late 17th century English settler in Pennsylvania on my dad's side

> white man being cucked

Nothing new.

potatoes are from the Andes, the complete opposite side of the hemisphere from Vinland.

>Natives traded
>Shells from western US in eastern US at sites, proof of trade
>Possible proof of trade of north american natives with central natives who traded with south american natives
>Fucking potato coulda done it somehow
>I believe in you potato

A British Army corporal in Waterloo. Probably some rapist or thief who got conscripted.

Oldest ones are in the late 1600's. An English Colonial named Samuel, and a German Quaker named Johann Christian Friedrich.

mom's side: prussians named after a city in lower saxony

Deadbeat biological father's side: Mayans/Aztecs

Ragnar is probably a conglomerate of different individuals you faggot

His name was a guy from Scotland, who would have 3 wife's in 3 different states at the same time. Virginia, nc and sc
>tfw I'm a beta and

14th century france
cant find the book its in but they must've been important if records go back that far.

How do I find out about my ancestors? I'm a spic so I'm not expecting anything amazing.

I know that my father's family in the 12th century moved from Montenegro to Croatia and then they came back in the 20th century. This is why they're still Catholic and why other families in Montenegro have in the mean time converted to Orthodox faith.

Also my maternal grandfather knows from who and how his surname was made, although my mum isn't too convinced in that story.

Other people know much better about their family tree than I do, some tribes have a tradition in which sons need to learn the names of all the men that came before him until they reach the name of the first guy.

>1500-1600 something
>Some faggot living in western Finland
>Probably lived his whole life freezing his ass off
>Still don't know if I'm actually Swedish or Finnish

>tfw my family was too shit to sustain ancestry

>on my fathers side aside from his mother his entire ancestry was obliterated from existence and he doesnt know anything more than his mother
>on my mothers side the only worthwhile person was my grandpa who's father served as a rebel against japs

>tfw i'll never know my ancestry
>tfw i'll never be a european descendant of knights

it hurts

How do you find all this stuff? It makes me sad that I know absolutely nothing about my ancestors. I'm pretty jealous of everyone here who come from notable people.

1296 AD Egypt

I found that I was a mothafuckin KANG with a strong and itelligent BLACK KWEEN who knows her KAYNG when she sees one

>started researching genealogy of my family
>go through grandmothers archives to 1800's. nothing interesting, just bakers and shit
>research more about great grandparents during war
>realize my great grandfather was a nazi collaborator in his occupied country before fleeing to where we live today.
>a truth and reconcilliation commission condemned him for crimes against humanity

welp, my mom doesnt know about this, and I dont really want to bother my 90 year old grandmother about it. Guess I'll just share this with Veeky Forums

Do you have slanty eyes?

my great grandfather was a welsh dirt farmer and my great grandmother left Italy before the Fascist "coup" by only days

>11th century
>some faggot called paginus

I win

Did he have a pagina?

I'm related to a French guy that got knighted in the 1500s, that's about it

Oh, and 2 people that were on the Mayflower

Oldest relative I have any knowledge about was a Jewish officer in the Tzar's army at the start of the 18th century.

>Be me
>Using Ancestry.com
>Find direct ancestor who was on the Mayflower
>Find out he's a direct link to Charlemagne
>I'm a direct descendant of Charlemagne

My maternal grandfather was a Vietnamese cafe owner who had his cafe requisitioned by the government for a road.

My paternal grandfather was another Vietnamese merchant who died of cancer at age 50.

One of my closest friends is of Vietnamese background and is apparently part French, as one of his grandmothers was French.

I am really envious of anyone else who has a good genealogical record.

My oldest verifiable ancestor is a Thuringian webster called Sebastian from around 1600. All older documents were destroyed in the Thirty Years War

I'm a descendant of the House of Beauharnais. They pretty much paired off with other French noble families until one daughter eloped to the US with her tutor and started a family. I tried learning the language but failed miserably so I imagine I'd get laughed at if I ever mentioned this to a French person in real life.

>dad's side got land in Ireland in the 11th century, mostly stayed in the region until leaving for America

it's real exciting stuff

>Reply

Mathematically, everybody in Europe or of European descent alive today is related to everybody that was alive in the 8th and 9th centuries.

Marriage records from the 1700's

Peasant as fuck.

Everybody that was alive in Europe* in the 8th and 9th centuries that is.

I can trace mine back to 1680, but that's just because my ancestors were some of the few settlers of what is now the state of Georgia before it became a separate colony from Carolina.

Going by direct ancestors only, I've made it to around 1700 and I still have more research to do. All in all, the oldest person in my family tree was born around 1450.

There are about 3000 people in this pic, by the way.

OP again, not my oldest relative but I did have a relative who was based during WW1.
>Captured with his fellow soldiers by enemy
>Managed to escape
>Runs across battlefield
>Gets help
>Help prepares
>Decides not to wait and runs back to inform his prisoner friends that help is coming
>Shell'd on the way there

Will post pictures of his medals and other belongings in a sec.

My oldest traceable ancestor fought in the Horea-Closca peasent rebel (a Romanian rebel in 1784 Transylvania) on the Habsburg side, according to a charter given by Joseph II, he was awarded a lesser nobility title for his "valiant participation in suppressing the revolt", and become vice-count of a county.

German here.
Oldest relative on mother's side was is recorded as born around 1700 and died in 1736. Oldest recorded relative on dad's side is someone born in 1781.
But for my Y chromosome, I can trace it only back to my greatgrandfather.

Oldest known ancestor is some low-ranking literati scholar in the Song dynasty.

When the northern Jurchen barbarians invaded the Song in the 1100s, most his family got killed or enslaved so he escaped with his remaining family to southern China.

JURCHEN

FUCKING

SHITS

>Burger

EDIT: Just found a baptismal record from 1594.

I really don't have anything past my great-great grandfather (paternal side), so I would really like to have something like Ancestry.com (is that any good?), but I don't want to spend money on it.

Every paternal ancestor (i.e. fathers of males on my father's side) has either been a doctor, professor, or military officer, so I imagine we must have fairly good education going back some time.

I can track my line directly to a person that killed a king and a person that killed a god.

Descended from this guy on my mom's side

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edward_Lively

>almost everyone is descended from noblemen

Not almost. Literally everyone is descended from not just nobility, but royalty. It's only a question of how far back, and are there traceable records.

Great great grandfather was German horse thief
Great grandfather was a German horse thief who escaped to America
Grandfather was an American car thief
Father stole his dad's stolen corvette, slammed it into a tree, and fled to Florida where he proceeded to steal more cars until I was born

FAST

No one I can name by name but from fathers side (based on Church records) farmers in the same 4-5 villages / counties for the last 300 years

From mothers side back to early 19th century German / Irish immigrants / Industrialists who came to Finland

Nothing noteworthy really

My family has been here in Ireland since the Normans arrived around 1100, they built most of the castles in the country including the largest from that time period

Late 1800s
Great great great grandfather was from Ukraine and immigrated to the US before WW1. He had the same name as me. My parents didn't even know about him when they named me.

I traced my ancestry to some dude who fought and died in the 1552 Ottoman Siege of my city. Weirdly, we have a Hungarian family name but none of us have been Hungarians for 200 years.

I am the descendant of a ship captain who was granted land in the Carolinas by the Queen of England
Nothing else I know of

Dads side was mostly french farmers until 150 years ago, moms side were supposedly minor german nobles until they lost their land because of some debt or another.

For 3/4 of my family, WASP all the way down (including two honest-to-god Pilgrim Fathers; I was pretty surprised to find even one but lo and behold there was one on my mother's side as well) and the other 1/4 is almost all WASP but with a couple of continental names entering the mix four or five generations back. I have a French last name and no fucking idea where it came from, since it was the English form of the same name before being changed four generations ago for no reason that I can discern.

Surprisingly enough, I haven't found all that many famous names apart from being distantly related to Patrick Henry.

Could have been French Huguenots who fled to England.

The farthest back I know of is the Odrowaz Polish noble family. Which means I'm related to Saint Hyacinth, which is cool

Four generations back seems a bit late for Huguenots, methinks.