What programming language should i prioritize learning first?

what programming language should i prioritize learning first?

Other urls found in this thread:

udacity.com/course/intro-to-computer-science--cs101
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Python, then JavaScript, then C++

copy that

not trying to be contrarian, im genuinely interested:

why would you say javascript is important to learn?

Java then C++, fuck python its for niggers

c
pointers all day, everyday

C is stb obsolete you stupid fuck, yo op just google you wont get good answers from these retards

op here again. why do you say that python is for niggers?

i have also heard that java is really good to learn though, but i'm interested in knowing your complaints with python

Do some research bud, Java & C++ and JS + PHP/HTML you can build whatever the fuck you want.

Forgot to mention SQL, or really any other database, I think there are more secure dbs than MySQL now though I'm 100% on that, google it for a bit

ill do some research, its just theres so much hipster disinfo out there.

i'm looking for more context but thanks for your input; atleast now i have a starting point :D

Python, JavaScript, Java

ASPIE++

electronical engineering and microcontroller stuff.

C baby

All answers here are invalid before you tell us what you want to accomplish with your programming, OP.

Forgot R and MAthematica

This.

Confirming what he said, if you learn those languages you pretty much have everything under control, and you'll have the skill to do what ever you want.

Why do you want to learn programming?

i always hear about how its important to learn programming for business and the job market but i don't know much more than that.

overall my goals are probably to increase productivity and/or reduce my actual workflow to the point where i can free myself up to either take on other responsibilities or to simply coast in my position and make money while my program has automated my workload.

something along those lines.

What language is the most important and profitable in healthcare?

>Backend
PHP
SQL

>Frontend
JavaScript

>Enterprise
Java
C#

>Systems
C
C++

>Android
Java + SDK

>iOS
hell if i know, Obj-C maybe

Well, do you work with anything in particular or do you plan to work in a particular field?

The reason I ask is that your purpose seems rather vague - so you risk getting wrong advice and wasting your time and energy on something that you won't be able to apply.

DEPENDS WHAT YOU WANT TO DO WITH IT DUMBASS.

If you really don't care, I'd say start with fucking Assembly, then C, then C++, THEN all the scripting languages like Python, Javascript. You'll learn a shit load.

C is an education that carries across to all other easier languages, even if you won't be using it much nowadays.

THIS

>how its important to learn programming for business and the job market
That sounds like hipster bullshit to me

...The REAL question, if you want to automate things to make your work easier is: what things?

Then learn precisely the language with which you can do it the easiest. (Probably Python)

Javascript if you are pragmatic... Literally the only language you'll need for 95% of use cases

do you think javascript is better as a scripting language to automate stuff?

i know alot of SaaS companies use javascript?

this

why do you want to learn a programming language? i'm guessing you don't know what you're doing so you should prioritize learning how to make algorithms rather than learning some language's syntax

mostly to make my job easier as i do alot of data stuff and automating reports and clickpresses into the system will be amazing.

long term though id like to improve my hireability so im interested in languages that re both useful but also seeing which ones people think are popular and likely to have a good future in the job scene.

>why would you say javascript is important to learn?
Instant and easy practical use. Assuming you want something visual it's the way to go. Crunching numbers pick C++.

kek don't do this

the only alg you need to know is i++

js and imacro plugin can do this, there are python libraries too that probably work a bit more autonomously. But a simple imacro js file is the easiest way to automate a web task.

unless you're lucky and have a very good brain you're going to have to learn a lot before you can program efficiently. you don't want to say you know python and then not be able to do basic stuff like making a program that lists all the subdirectories (and their subdirectories and files, and so on) and files of a directory because you don't know how to traverse a tree

i would recomming taking an intro to algorithms class online and not care about what programming language they're using. you're probably going to be able to use most mainstream languages afterwards
shut the fuck up idiot

i mean i dont know since ive never actually learned programming but from my POV it all seems like really solid advice.

>intro to algorithms class
like the MIT CSW one? i think they have one thas done in python

He wants to automate shit not get a cs degree, but it's not skin off my back if you waste you're time. At such time that he needs algorithms he can learn them, I wouldn't prioritize it.

You only need programming knowledge if you want to be a programmer or possibly if you want to be an analyst or project manager working with programmers.

Assuming that's the case though the com first languages are COBOL, Fortran, and Assembler.

>Assembler
you mean assembly and also for an analyst is the least useful language to learn.

You need to calm down kid.

C is still used for microcontroller and electronics programming. It's old and annoying to learn but not necessarily obsolete

JavaScript is probably the most useful but if you learn it first you will truly be a shit programmer
>mfw no data types

You want to learn C# with Visual Studio because it's the fastest solution out of the box to make a visual app, a console app, or a web app without fighting a load of stupid dependencies, configuration problems, or lack of documentation (MSDN is a godsend).

haha even worse than if the first language i learn is Visual Basic?

i'm not sure. i wouldn't want you to start watching some class and be turned off from programming because the class is too hard. this one seems nice udacity.com/course/intro-to-computer-science--cs101
it's going to be a waste of his time if he's trying to automatize shit and he loses time making his own sorting algorithm because he didn't take a basic class on algorithms and he can't recognize it as a sorting problem. not to say he should know how standard algorithms work, but he should be able to recognize common problems and know people have studied how to solve them and what are their names. many years ago me and my friend implemented bubble sort on C from scratch because we didn't know better

learning Visual Basic in 2016 is like reading a 1953 edition of The Economist for forecasting trends
There is literally - LITERALLY - no new code written in Visual Basic. It's all legacy crap.

oh yeah haha i was just referencing some famous programmer who was like "people whose first language was Visual Basic are irrevocably ruined as programmers" or something

I think of software development and/or programming as having these two options:

Want to be a codemonkey? lots of jobs in a language you'll probably hate:
>java, javascript, php

Don't want to be mediocre? Want to do something that's actually challenging? Do you actually like coding? And foremost: Are you willing to struggle to find your way?
>any other language

what said except I don't know why he'd recommend python first. JS will get you into programming much quicker than python, the switch from JS -> py would likely be easier than vice versa

also OP

Not sure what you mean by automating stuff. Whether it is a scripted or compiled language won't mean much in most cases. The reason JS is so good is because it can be used in all layers of an application, so you won't really have to learn anything else. Look up node.js if you haven't. Can give a more detailed answer when I'm off my phone.

Absolute autism. These languages have a very specific use case that does not at all overlap with general purpose usage.

The main advantage of JS is that it runs in web browsers. Python is better for general automation.

how do I learn programming bros? I want a programming job but do I need to go to one of those programming bootcamps or can I learn it on my own?

I'm using windows btw.

c# with ms libs is better than java but it comes with a successful vendor lock-in to windows platform.

mono is meh... microsoft gonna kill it eventually with it's own platform independent subset.

Ive been learning some Ruby on Rails in order to build a website. Should I scrap it and go with Javascript? Or does Ruby on Rails use Javascript? shit why are there so many languages?

If you're building a website, you will have to learn JavaScript eventually. You might as well slash your learning time in half and just focus on JavaScript (which can more or less fill Ruby's role these days).

What about banking?

What should I learn if i want to get into Risk Management or banking generally?

lel
99.9% of /g/ has never written a line of code in their autistic, underage lives.

they care more about math than programming
but learning Python or C++ would be a plus.

Depending on where you end up, Python / R / SAS / VBA for data analysis, C++ / C# / Java for dev. This isn't an exhaustive list but if a place runs everything on something exotic like OCaml they won't expect you to know it when you interview.
If you know (as in actually know, not just fucked with for half a tutorial) Python, R and C++ you can probably apply everywhere.

Click presses in what software?

In a web page? Learn Javascript/HTML, and make greasemonkey/tampermonkey scripts.
Just in Windows or some shit? Google "automate windows clicks" or "macro recorder" and there's a million things, probably not even needing programming knowledge.

As others have said programming is s nice skill but depends on what kind of risk mgmt.

For credit risk: model structuring and validation.

For liquidity/regulatory risk: knowledge of legislation, EBA, ECB and how that framework impacts.

Operational risk: a good strategic understanding and experience with managing different stakeholder interests.

F#, Python, Rust, Scala.

Take your pick,

I used to recruit developers for banks.
Average background, min BSc, most have MSc, some have PHd.
Tech wise, it's pretty broad. When i was recruiting, it was very C++, VC++ and Java with Oracle and Sybase on the backend. Things are moving towards C Sharp now. You could also make 500+ a day being a RAD developer using Excel and VBA.
Winforms and Webforms were also heavily in demand.
The real money is in trading apps like Murex and Calypso. 700+ a day.
Used to get specs wanting things like Perl as well.
Seldom saw Python, Javascript or HTML as a skill set.
Personally I would start with OO Java and then everything else will be easy to pick up. HTML/CSS isn't much more than a presentation/formatting tool. Javascript, is well, a scripting lang.
The business knowledge, Fixed inc, FX, commodities etc also command a higher daily rate. But it's one of those catch 22, you need the knowledge for the job, but can't get the knowledge without working in the area.

that's such a dumb question.

why are you even going to learn how to program if you don't already have this in mind? you're asking other people what language you should learn? what does that even mean? you're a fucking moron, OP.

if you don't know what you want to do, then why are you learning to program? program what? people like you are so stupid.

Haskell

R is really good I find, the IDE is super sleek and it's really easy to use if you know Cpp well. Useful in any kind of database management and regression analysis work.