Advice for college?

Studying, note-taking, tools/gadgets, tips of all kinds.

Most schools seem to be serving McEducations, so obviously we have to teach ourselves. Any information that could help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

>inb4 "he fell for the college meme"

Read the chapter before class. Lectures are 75% easier to get through having done so.

It's good advice, but man it's just so hard to get done sometimes.

Most of my classes were set up such that you HAD to read the chapter before class, or else you'd get called out for it in class when the teacher asks you a question in discussion. So you should really get used to it. That's usually how it's supposed to work.

use anki for memorizing. i open an e-book and use a screenshot taker to make questions while i read it

never skip classes. you're going to get distracted on Veeky Forums and not read the material on time

I was thinking about purchasing a 'Microsoft Surface Pro 4' for hand-written note-taking. Any thoughts on electronic note-taking?

i do all my note-taking on paper but that might because i'm poor, my tablet is too small and i don't have a stylus. also i don't do much note-taking because my handwritting is shitty and most stuff is in the books anyway

I also prefer note taking on paper, since I learn most efficiently if I study the material written with my own hand. Didn't have good experience with electronic note-taking since we used to have this huge electronic table in math class and sometimes it wouldn't recognize the pen since you're supposed to apply the pressure constantly and you don't do that when you write classic notes, so you'd occasionally get a mess.

It's a matter of preference in the end though.

What do you plan on studying because certain areas of study benefit from different tools

I know a lot of people enjoy using the microsoft surface for note taking with classes that have a lot of formulas and diagrams since you're able to efficiently jot down everything from class

I got a used macbook air and I found that served me well although a surface may have been helpful for some classes (I'm an econ major). I believe I read somewhere that the 2011 models were still solid so I got a clean used one for $600 which I'll hopefully sell back for $200/$300 after school but I may end up keeping it as I really like it

For studying it was helpful to take "rough" notes in class and just review them on my own free time where I would also take "professional" notes. I found that rewriting the lessons/concepts with my own thoughts helped me retain and understand material a lot more efficiently.

I'm also involved with a lot of other things so time management was important. If I could cruise through a harder class and still hold a B I'd honestly do that (let's say it took 5 hours a week time commitment) instead of spending 10 hours a week on a class to get an A. If you're planning on doing grad school you might not want to do this since I figure GPA is critical for the application process

Also it doesn't hurt to introduce yourself some point within the first month. I highly recommend stopping by office hours at least once in that first month to introduce yourself and maybe ask a question about something in class or their field of study. I'd also make an effort to see them another time sometime later that semester and I wrote them a thank you note as well. I had a professor where I kind of half assed his class because I wasn't 100% interested but my thank you note kind of mentioned that because I joked about being late a couple of times but thanking him because I had a better grasp at least on that subject. This has ended up with some nice connections

Finally don't try to cheap out on your nutrition/health. It's proven that if you work out after studying you're likely to retain info better or if you work out in the morning that you'll have more energy throughout the day. Also don't eat ramen everyday sure it's cheap but you'll feel like shit. It's better to spend $10-$15 daily on some good shit, it's an investment to yourself and it does pay off. 3 solid meals a day usually results in being productive and having enough energy to do something throughout the day instead of just crashing

I am going to a community college until I get the prerequisites out of the way. I'd be studying gen-ed material.

Afterwards I do plan on pursuing an Econ. Degree(probably a bachelors).

Do you have any online resources that helped you?

Also, I've found that I'm not very good at solo-learning, and that I do very well in study-groups.

Thanks for the response.

I was an honor student.

Make your home life boring by removing time sinks from your life. You can either study, do homework, or stare at a ceiling. You wont believe how much you get done.

i can't

Do it. Stop fucking around, steel yourself and do it.

rule number one- major something you are interested in.

Khan academy is very helpful to review some concepts that are fuzzy.

Besides that at my large state school a lot of the exams tend to be predictable so most of my studying was slightly review and then grinding out practice problems until I could do them without looking at my notes or the book to do them

Go to class and study as you go. Actually pay attention in class. Don't bring laptop or use phone. You will do away better. Always go to office hours. Don't be a lazy fuck

get laid

Masturbate a lot and eat tons of fruit

I only take my notes with hand because it shows the prof I am doing something.
also, i want to improve my handwriting so I'm always trying new stuff when i take my notes.
I never read it after taking it until the night before an exam and I am left wondering wtf am I writing.
That's prob why I keep failing my class. But holy shit do I not read my notes because I always forget what the context is about.

show me your handwriting m8