What is neoplatonism

What is neoplatonism
Please dont shitpost, i asked /pol/ and all i got was hurr durr jews

Other urls found in this thread:

plato.stanford.edu/entries/plotinus/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Neoplatonism was equivalent with Platonism, because they were both the same movement. Platon, Plotinos, and Gemistos Pletho, were the same person.

It has "neo" in front of it, so just think of Neo from The Matrix.
The Matrix is evil, because the machines who made it are evil and want to oppress The One. You need to take the redpill (gnosis) to leave the matrix and enter the real world.

Neoplatonism is basically the philosophy than continued the work of Platon, accepting the same principles and following the same method. It's not, however, just a repetition of Platon's work - like someone said earlier (And no, Plotinos, Prophyre and the Neoplatonician were not the same guy as Platon.) - it brought new ideas and reflexion.

So its basically pagan gnosticism?

The Neoplatonism started during the first century after J-C, although I dont remember any names of the earlier Neoplatonician. The most famous one is Plotin, who lived in the third century after J-C. Neoplatonician centers mainly on metaphysics, trying to continue Platon's philosophy with the help of new elements, like the work of Aristote and other philosopher from the late antiquity, Oriental culture and, christianniy.

>It's not, however, just a repetition of Platon's work - like someone said earlier

I didn't post that one was a repetition of the other; I posted that they were one and the same movement.

Learn to read.

And yes, Platon, Plotinus, and Gemistos Pletho, were the same person.

I do not have the qualification to talk further about Neoplatonism, but it shouldn't be dissmissed as a pale copy of Platon's philosophy. It brought new ideas and problematics to metaphysics and had a big influence on modern philosophers. However, having tried to read a bit of Plotin and some others texts of Neoplatonicians... It's really though to understand, and when you do understand, the mindset of the neoplatonician is sooo far from the way we, as modern human, thinks that it's not easy to get to the bottom of it. It's not something you can read and understand on your own. You need someone to explain and guide you. I doubt you find someone like that on Veeky Forums

>And yes, Platon, Plotinus, and Gemistos Pletho, were the same person.

No. Plotinus lived in Rome 7 centuries after Platon. Gémistos lived in Constantinople 18 centuries after Platon. Plotinus copied Platon's work, and Gemistos transleted it. It's through Plotinus and Gémistos - and a shit tonne of others - that we know Platon's work. But they were not the same

Uh... Nice projection. Just because you can't understand something without someone explaining what you just read doesn't mean that someone else can't. Plotinos and Neoplatonism in general aren't even difficult to comprehend if you have the mental capability to do so. You're a moron.

Op here, im really confused so would i be able to understand the neoplatonic works or not?

The official historical chronology is intentionally fucked up, and multiple personas of the same persons, and multiple versions of the same historical events, are the consequence of the artificial lengthening of the chronology.

How the fuck would I, or anyone else beside yourself, know that?

Never ask /pol/ about anything.

Read the standard Greeks up to Plato then read Plotinus' Enneads. Also look up mysticism and monism.

...Why did you ask /pol/?

It's not that it couldn't be done, but that's not a easy philosophy. Not the most complicated, not even one of the most complicated, but certainly not of the level of a beginner in philosophy. And if you ask on Veeky Forums what neoplatonism is, you probably don't have any background in philosophy, or very few. So yes, most of people will need help to understand - to really understand not just scrap the surface - Neoplatonician philosophy. If you do something, you have to do it right. Philosophy is difficult, it require hard work personnal thinking and a lot of reflexion about previous philosopher's work. It's not just about mental capability. Before going into Plotin and the Neoplatonicians, you have to understand Platon, and be familiar with metaphysical concepts that are pretty difficult to acquire and understand. It's obvious that philosophy need to be thaugh, you can't just pick a book at random and expect to fully understand it. You need someone to tell you where to start, point out some key point. Or you can spend a lifetime trying to figure it out on your own. It's possible. But why refuse help?

Op, what is your background in Philosophy? What did you read? What did you studied? How much do you know about metaphysics?

No, he was confusing Gnosticism with neoplatonism.

I dont know

Oh okay

Im new to philosophy but ive studied plato, and socrates

If you feel confortable with Palto and Socrates, You have the basics needed for neoplatonician. But once again, I don't know where you should start. My advice would be to look deeper into metaphisics in general, and to look at Aristote and maybe other antique philosopher. I think Zeno of Elea might be of use

its not that hard

the one is a transcendent state, beyond-being

the intellect are the platonic forms or archetypal patterns of existence

the soul is the individuative principle and what animates matter (which is non-being) with being, like light falling on an object

the basics are easy to get but the details can take time to acquire

Oh god, we have an actual Formenkoist.

>What is neoplatonism
Ever heard of monotheism? The god of the revealed religions, who is anthropomorphized as fuck?

Well, fuck that guy. Meet the god of the philosophers.

plato.stanford.edu/entries/plotinus/

>i asked /pol/
This is the humanities board.

Im new to Veeky Forums and i didnt know about Veeky Forums

Wasnt Celsos also a Neoplatonist but totally ok with polytheism?

It's New Platonism.

You're welcome.

So is neoplatonism a religion

he literally said it's a philosophy

>Meet the god of the philosophers.
>the god
>god