Iran-Iraq War

Why did it happen? Who won? General discussion please.

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/October_Surprise_conspiracy_theory
twitter.com/AnonBabble

ebin

That was the joke after the 1991 Gulf War: War's over, Iran won.

>Electrified swamps
Jesus Christ Saddam

Trench warfare and child soldiers used as meat mine sweepers

No one won.

>why did it happen?
Saddam was opportunistic for expansion. Iran was just rocked with a major revolution and was unstable. it was believed Iraq could rip away a couple of provinces before the Iranians could get any kind of organized effort to resist together.

>who won?
for the combatants, a complete stalemate. no one accomplished any of their goals and no territory was gained or lost whatsoever.

but for the west and foreign arms dealers, they made a fucking fortune selling arms to both sides.

{Reading comprehension, do you need it?}

Is it just me or was the war Veeky Forums as fuck?

>that green helmet
>that brown uniform

Na senpai

>Why did it happen?
Sadaam going full retard over "mug clay" with US backing against revolutionary Iran.
>Who won?
Iran basically did. Sadaam was using tanks against kids with shitty rifles and Molotov cocktails.

One could argue that Iran won because its major goal was just ending the war with pre-war borders. The Iranians would have liked to overthrow Saddam but they offered a peace deal with pre-war borders early in the war and the main reason the war continued as long as it did was because Saddam refused to accept that.

Would be interesting to see the comparisons of foreign support to Iraq and Iran.

IIRC I heard that the US gave satellite intelligence to Iraq, which is true would be pretty huge, seeing as the Iraqis would basically know everything the Iranians were doing.

Not to mention all the chemical shit that they got.

To be honest this war seems crazy, 8 years long with trench warfare, chemical weapons, helicopter dogfights, and trench warfare. Wish there was more information on it.

You know that Iran had F-14s that Iraqi jet fighters were unable to even touch, right?

Iraq got Mirage fighters from the French though, so it all evens out.

Numbers are also important, how many planes/tanks/artillery did each side have?

The ability to repair/replace your equipment is important too, given that it was an 8 year war.

From what I heard, the US shipped Saddam missiles designed to specifically shoot down the F-14 and they still kept on BTFO'ing the Iraqi airforce.

ironically, those mirages are now in Iran AF

>Iraqi Mirages are in Iran

How? Did the Iranians capture them from an army base or something?

kek

Saddam flew them there for safekeeping during the Gulf War.

really? I thought the pilots had defected

Nah, he parked like 100? 200? jets over there.

So for the price of some paint, the Iranian Air Force grew pretty formidable.

Over the course of several weeks, some 115 Iraqi warplanes were able to successfully escape to Iran. These included

44 Sukhoi Su-20 and Su-22
12 MiG-23
7 MiG-25
4 MiG-29
24 Su-24
24 Mirage F.1
An additional 15 Ilyushin Il-76s, 17 civilian airliners, and perhaps 2 Adnan I airborne early warning aircraft (based on the Russian A-50) also fled to Iran.

Saddam panicked when our 2000 lbs. bombs were blowing the shit out of his "hardened" bunkers.

So, lose the planes hidden in the bunkers, fly the planes into combat and get shot down like flies, send them to a neutral like Jordan or send them unexpectedly to Iran.

Like most things, Saddam liked doing the unexpected.

It happened because the US willed it to happen. The US–Israeli alliance has had balkanizing the Middle East as a primary goal since the inception of Israel. The method has primarily been exacerbating already existing tensions between Sunni and Shia sects, along with their derivatives.

In order to put the Iran–Iraq war into context, you need to understand US involvement. The US financed Iraq overtly and Iran covertly—via the infamous Iran–Contra connection, where they sold guns to Iran and used the proceeds to fund anti-communist groups in Nicaragua after the communist Sandinistas overtook the Somoza family (they were also running cocaine into California, precipitating the crack cocaine crisis of the mid-80s, possibly with CIA collusion, but that's another story altogether).

Iran basically had the war won. They had the Persian Gulf blockaded and the US cleared it under the pretext of needing Iraqi oil. This tells you the true intention right here: causing tension in the Middle East, along with creating astronomical debts to foreign lenders. Both sides were given enough weapons to cause each other a lot of harm, but never enough for one to gain a decisive advantage.

Ali-Cat strong

Saddam was a pan arab fascist who wanted to liberate arabs living in Iran (and claim their land for himself)

>Who won?
Death. The USA and Israel too, but in that area of the world they're basically the same.

And suddenly ISIS

Yeah sure 30 years later

I would argue that Iran achieved victory, if a pyrrhic one, since it was a defensive war for them. It was also extremelly benefical, politically and ideologically, for the new iranian government.

This.

My baba fought in this war, but fled cuz fuq dem arab savages

israel helped iran

Baathism is the name.

Thanks

Your point being?

This is sorta relevant: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/October_Surprise_conspiracy_theory

secret allies

Both countries received plenty of foreign support.

I agree with , it was so damn gritty. These uniforms are what you think of when you imagine generic faceless soldiers running off into slaughter.