Why is the story of the great flood still in the modern bible...

Why is the story of the great flood still in the modern bible? Surely no adult Christian actually believes in it or thinks it has some meaning.

I wouldn't be suprised if in a few decades the papacy pops out an edited edition of the bible as an option.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=jUHNz6bUSIU
youtube.com/watch?v=G0Cp7DrvNLQ
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

You know, not everyone reads the Bible as a literal report

>modern bible

>I wouldn't be suprised if in a few decades the papacy pops out an edited edition of the bible as an option.
That's more of a Protestant thing desu

>american religion

As an American, can confirm.
There's actually a whole conspiracy that American academia/scientific community js lying to the general public about science and natural history, and that they silence anyone who says otherwise. Just look into this book, paranoia all the way through.

They did until science proved that there was no great flood

>science "proving" anything
kek

Close enough.

Christians still believe in the flood, most of us just don't believe it was global.

If you're talking about creation as literal, no, the literalness taken today by fundamentalists is a whole new level. You will find Church Fathers saying we know some of it is figurative, because it says God walked around in the garden.

You might try, if you would like, Augustine's "On the Literal Meaning of Genesis" His theory of it is hardly scientific, but he rejects literalism--arguing, for instance, that God would not need six days to do anything, but that all creation happened in an instant, and six days are just a way of breaking it up to convey certain things.

>six days are just a way of breaking it up to convey certain things.

Oh boy, here we go with Christian "apologetics": in other words, trying to find the most convoluted ways to make something fit just to assuage some insecurities and not hurt people's feelings.

>unable to understand the concept of different interpretations

Behold.
youtube.com/watch?v=jUHNz6bUSIU

Tell that to the Catholics.

>can't even pronounce astrophysicist correctly
the fuck did you made me watch user? for shame

The best example of incompetence on the creationists part.
I admit, I should've found a shorter video. Sorry about that.

*creationists'

And how exactly do you know this?

There is scientific evidence that there is no "great flood" in the context that the bible presents it.

If you cant understand the moral sensibilities it portrays then you are either reading it to literally or haven't read it at all.
Also try & read the original in the Epic of Gilgamesh before you make a decision.

>Christians still believe in the flood, most of us just don't believe it was global.
When will you off yourself, you literal fucking retard? What's the point of the story if it's not global?

It's about the entire civilized world being destroyed. No one cares about the communities out in Europe or Asia.

Aren't like half of Abrahamic texts today based on Babylonian and Sumerian mythology?

Didn't it turn that much of the Bible back then got lost due to translation errors and edits over time? I remember reading an article about tens year ago 'round this time, stating that the original translation was "six ages," not "days." But fuck I can't find it anymore.

All great cultures have a flood myth, because human civilization was hard hit when the iceage ended and flooded livable areas 10000 years ago

>christians

I thought it was because most of the areas in which civilization developed were near rivers. Rivers tend to flood, so a flood story makes sense.

Also, this is the only one of Dan's little "comics" that actually made me chuckle.

I dont get what he's trying to say

He's saying to not depict the ark in a childish and inaccurate manner, due to people not taking it seriously.

Probably because the bible is not the only religion with the flood story. The story existed in China and the Americas well before they had contact with Abrahamic religions. Those who have studied it come to the conclusion that at the very least, the entire Levant flooded at one point which would have been the entire world to the Israelites.

That's fucking hilarious. Oh man I'm cackling

>G-guys stop trying to peddle our obvious mythological bullshit in a childish way! P-people won't take our demonstrably false conceptions of history seriously!

There is both historical and living proof of the holocaust, yet some already have scoffed that it didn't happen.

unless you disprove the existence of Jesus, and his Mother, Mary, then you still have to deal with that there WAS a man named Noah, and you cannot disprove that HE trusted God

His life is recorded in Marys geneology. His claim was that many scoffed and disregarded that God would send a judgement at the end of the Ark building project. According to his descendents and historical accounts, those people did not get on the Ark of safety provided for them.

If the holocaust was real, then how is there living proof?

Vegans: 20
Jews: -6 million

But there were great floods but the shit as usual is exaggerated in the Bible.

There was a great flood in the North Sea at the end of the ice age flooding it and separating Britain and Ireland from Europe.

There was a great flood in the Black sea at the end of the ice age flooding the northern coast regions and submerging the civilization there.

There was a great flood in the Persian Gulf at the end of the ice age flooding the fucking thing.

no, the word used can mean days or a more vague periods, but in this context it is obiviously days since the sun rising and falling is mentioned for each "day" (after the sun is created that is) and it makes a full week in order to explain the tradition of working for six days and resting on the Sabbath

>Marys geneology
you mean Joseph's second contradictory genealogy

Here's some sculptures of some ark "kinds." And yes, their depicting an ambulocetus in the background and not expecting anyone to notice.

And another. Pretty sure that's some form of an eltelodont on the right, and proto-giraffe in thr back.
Inaccurate as fuck, but certainly is pleasing to the eye.

*they're

The preponderance of evidence points that a comet impacted the North American Ice Sheet and caused a catastrophic flood approximately 12,000 years ago; ending the last Ice Age.

In short the "Great Flood" actually happened, and the "one of every animal" probably refers to Domesticated animals, (cows, sheep, horses chickens).

It's not just the Bible, almost every civilization dating back to the Epic of Gilgamesh, has references to the Great Flood. The hard part of these old texts is separating truth and history from myth.

youtube.com/watch?v=G0Cp7DrvNLQ

Bump with this bullshit

This is the most uneducated soccer mom on facebook click bait image I think I've ever seen in my life. Congratulations.

You ain't seen nothing yet.

*tips*