Has anything replaced God? Some people say money, some people say sex. Of course...

Has anything replaced God? Some people say money, some people say sex. Of course, science is always a possibility--on that subject, should "science" and "technology' be used interchangeably? When people put science on pedestal, are they really just putting technology on a pedestal? Or this is distinction itself of no importance?

youtube.com/watch?v=qaOvHKG0Tio

Other urls found in this thread:

expectattitude.com/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Something something Oswald Spenglar quote about people putting more faith into technology and science

bump

Possibly secular humanism.

>Putting science on a pedestal
The teenagers and redditors who put ""science"" on a pedestal typically just like looking at pictures of an andromeda or a random fact shared by a "WE LOVE SCIENCE" type page on FB or Twitter.

>Has anything replaced God?
The State

Are these threads false flags or am I being paranoid.

>expectattitude.com/

I think people exchange it for technology, science in general, and culture. But also family, friends and relationships.

The question is though, what is it that God gives, that is so special?

You cannot replace something that didn't existed

aesthetics replaces god and the eternal return replaces the afterlife

t. fruit loving moustache man

>aesthetics replaces god
Postmodern art proves this.

There is no replacing anything. There is nothing to replace. The reason people are getting less religious now is because they are allowed to. Getting out of the godless closet was a serious thing back then.

For most people, no.

For some, yes, and that replacement is scientific method. Only to the extent that we aren't willing to accept shit as factual without any empirical evidence supporting any given hypothesis.

>Replying seriously to bait threads
I would say that people throughout the ages have fulfilled their need for a purpose, an impact on the world around them, through religion. With America going more and more atheist, you start to see more people fanatically devote themselves to ideologies, identity politics, and other fringe bullshit.
I would argue that you can't really take the religion out of people and that religion serves as a powerful tool of reassurance for 95% of your average population. Not everyone is capable of being a scientist or an intellectual, whether because of disinterest or incapability; or even deciding the course of their own lives. You tell people that there isn't a heaven, and they'll just make something else up to cover up their fear of death.
People will always commit atrocities in the name of something. Removing the main article people pledged during whatever crimes against humanity isn't really solving the main problem here. It, I feel, is not something that can just be taught away. It is deep within the root of humanity and can only be tackled by time on a geological scale and the evolution of the human mind itself.

There's a meme in society of some kind of entrepreneurial post-capitalist industrial-scientific "productivity" thing, and they are expressing the meme because they are demi-conscious memebuoys floating on a slurry sea of currents you can only see if you zoom out
It's exhausting even trying to give an answer to this question. You need to like phenomenologically bracket every single word and write a book explaining that they aren't even people. They aren't even conscious. They aren't even having "opinions". STEM people are like robots with human skin stretched over them. To say "they are dismissive of the humanities" is implicitly to admit I think there's a "they". STEM people don't even fucking exist. They are a statistical gaseous nebula of random particles wafting across continents and periodically expressing junk they picked up along the way. Why would you even talk to them?
Talking to a STEMfag is literally like being some kind of Buddha, ascending reality, then coming back down and talking to bees who were dudes in past lives. I'm sure these bee niggas can be saved or whatever, but let's just wait until they're back in human form. Don't walk around going "BEES, STOP BUZZING, PUT DOWN THAT POLLEN, LISTEN TO ME ABOUT HOW EVERY CONCEPTUAL CATEGORY YOU HAVE FOR EVEN THINKING OF THINGS WAS SHAPED FOR YOU BY AN UNCONSCIOUS SLUDGE OF MEMETIC POLYALLOY THAT FLOWS IN PREDICTABLE CURRENTS FROM YEAR TO YEAR THROUGH THE HIVE IN WHICH YOU WERE CONCEIVED"

>Has anything replaced God? Some people say money

Ah, but what is God? I think it is the extrapolation of human characteristics onto the universe, in a way that characterizes our sense of insignificance and our desire for importance. It's why people prayed to "Gods" of rain and oceans and suns and rain, to try to beg someone to help them grow food or survive hardships and ward off unseen diseases.

So in our modern era, where we are less superstitious and have more answers to questions about the world, we don't need gods to save us from mundane weather or threats. But we still feel adrift in "fate", that is we are insecure about the future, and we still long for meaning. That is why religion persists even in a technological world, there are some questions that have no answers and so God naturally fills the void.

So maybe money did replace God, since if you have money, you feel more secure, and you can "ward off" concerns. Certainly many people are very motivated by money.

I thought we lived in the bad end where science and secular humanism replaced god instead.

too bad that pocket is infinitely big

Nietzsche's isn't really a good end, I mean imagine all the trillions of beings whose lives were nothing but suffering forced to relive their lives without end

I guess that's his analog to hell

>everyone is stupid except for me

>The first gulp from the glass of natural sciences will turn you into an atheist, but at the bottom of the glass God is waiting for you.

- Werner Heisenberg

shit image
shit quote

That more of an alegory about human psychology than the truth value of religion.

God is real user.

Did you make this image? I've only ever seen it on this board and I have a suspicion that you are the only faggot that posts it.

Which God? There are infinite of them.

Yes but you can save it if you'd like.

How do you know?

There is only one God and His name is Jesus Christ.

I've met Him.

Seems unlikely.

Dumbass preachers ruining another thread.

Things are often not as they seem.

Stop trolling.

It's true.

I'm starting to think it's a tag-team duo, the OP flogs the daily "anti-positivism" forced meme or whatever this is called, and then the creationism buddy slides in on cue with his mindless proselytizing.

>these posts
Protestants are the newfags of Christianity.

>said the tripcode user

>Luther wouldn't use a trip

It seems you've forgotten that Christians follow Christ.

I HAVE

Luther sure didn't, but then again, he did say works were not required for salvation.

Do you presume to know whose names are written in the book of life?

Summer post, summer responses...

In anycase, neither science nor technology can replace God for they are merely tools. Tools don't tell you what to do with them.

Unless, of course, we invent a super-AI, then all bets are off.

Until then... People in the lowest rings of religion, unfortunately, use God as a conduit to tell them how to behave. Science provides no such guidance. Really, the Bible, with all its contradictions, doesn't either, but you can use it as a sounding board, pick which parts sound good to you, and use those as a framework for how you should behave, and unfortunately, how you believe others should behave.

For better or worse, you can use the Bible to justify or deride nearly any behavior, but, for better or worse, certain hierarchies of power have formed around it (commonly referred to "churches" or "sects"), which have uniformed certain interpretations, and for the most part, drown out those with individually motivated interpretations though their perceived authority.

Those that don't follow these religions, nor believe in the Bible or God, use all variety of sources to build their own moral opinions, many of which are founded in Judeo-Christian teachings, but not solely. Those who follow utilitarianism invariably find themselves falling into commonly accepted "good Christian" behavior, for sake of the masses, and even among the non-believers, there are some who believe that religion and its hierarchies may serve as a fine tool to keep the masses in line, believing they are too foolish to reason themselves a more objective morality.

Beyond that, I'd say aliens, and drugs. Lots of drugs.

No, because I'm not a Protestant.