Christianity

I wish to look into becoming a Christian once again. I was one as a small child, however, I would be lying if I claimed to have had any understanding of the philosophy behind it, nor what being a Christian truly entailed. I recently came across Psalm 137:8-9, and I was utterly entranced by it. Would any kind soul be willing to assist this wanderer walk the path to meaning?

Should I have expected more from a shitposter?

8 The Lord will repay for me: thy mercy, O Lord, endureth for ever: O despise not the work of thy hands.

Sure, you just go to your nearest Church and get a spiritual director.

I would rather not associate with the likes of the corrupt and immoral "christians" of the present day. The degenerates found in most modern places of worship are often no more loyal to God than the street walkers on the outside. I would like to study the good word somewhat independently, save alongside a few others who have chosen to take the same path.

That's bad advice.

Religious studies and philosophy of religion are humanities, this is NOT humanities.
Take this elsewhere.

Salut, comment ca va?

Fact 1: The bible states that there's a devil trying to steer mankind away from God.
Fact 2: The bible comments oftenly on how priests and scribes steered the laws of the bible away from God and towards the devil (other gods).
Fact 3: The bible mentions the world is populated by sons of the devil who will try and push you towards accepting the evil one as your god.
Fact 4: The bible does say that the true God and Saviour will be called a prince of demons and beelzebub.

Bonus points, in the world we live in, jesus is loved and preached by the people of the world, whom should belong to the devil.

Satan is considered the devil.

These people of the world, whom are sons of the father of lies, make a habit of roleplaying being sons of SATAN and keep on stating that indeed this is the name of the devil.

Here's personal experience at work.

I am posessed, and to your dismay, yes, it has been confirmed posession.

It only got confirmed posession the moment I decided I'd trust Satan instead, that was the moment of inflexion when "jesus" totally wanted to rescue me now after being roleplaying how I was totally wrong in every action and belief and how there was always a need to punish me.

So I rejected jesus and accepted Satan.

I'm still alive, the posession now is hellbent on having me accept jesus, I never will.

And you know, I wouldn't be very trusting of a moron who claims that having sex in such and such way is evil incarnate and that to be good you have to lick the butt of the sons of the devil, let them slap you in the face, serve them, forgive each and every of their misdeeds and give them your money if they are poor.

Really, fuck jesus, accept Satan.

I would rather this thread be roleplay frww.

*free
Forgive the phoneposting.

Then stop roleplaying because I'm literally quoting the bible.

You want to argue this? Jesus sais in his name you move mountains, go move 'em.

You can't? Then he is a liar and a deceiver.

>Misinterpreting the bible

nigger

Jesus Christ the Christians are fucking insufferable on this board. This is history and HUMANITIES not Jesus study hour.

Fuck off with your Psalms and your holy book, Christians are no better than any other cult that has sprung out of the desert

What an unwarranted outburst. Hilarious, but unwarranted nonetheless. What upsets you about a marginal topic to philosophy being discussed on the incredibly slow philosophy board? It's not as though this thread should bump off any of the ones wirth looking into.

*worth

>Misinterpreting math

Truly I'm telling you that 2+2 are equal to 248907892347, says so in the math book, you just don't know how to interpret it.

Not that guy but
a) it doesn't belong here
b)tolerating these kind of threads will encourage others to make these threads instead of making threads within the board topic, sonetimes people need a little push outside of their comfort zone.
c)not enforcing the rules will push trolls and shitposters to make their move

It is most definitely related to the board topic, and it most definitely falls within the confines of the board rules. Is there not an attempt at discussing religion in this thread? You're trying to claim that the rules are more strict than they truly are.
Go bother one of the actual shitposters.

It does not, see

>it IS not something because I say so
I have to disagree.

Look up what humanities are, it's available on the internet
protip: it excludes theology

>Would any kind soul be willing to assist this wanderer walk the path to meaning?

Read:

- One of the synoptic gospels, john and acts.
- Proverbs, Ecclesiastes & Salomons Song.
- Julian of Norwich: "Revelations of Divine Love".
- "The Way of a Pilgrim".
- Luther: "The bondage of the Will".
- Calvin: "The bondage and the liberation of the will."
- Kierkegaard: "The Concept of anxiety".
- Tillich: "The Courage to be".
- Bultmann: "Jesus".
- Bonhoeffer: "Discipleship."
- Pannenberg: "Jesus: God and Man".
- Hänsel-Hohenhausen: "I think, therefore I believe - Cogito ergo Credo".

Selecting only those that interest you is fine as well, but reading all will give you a good overview over ways of christian progressiveness despite modernism.

>it's another roleplay thread
Look, we have these every ten minutes. If you want to be a crusading eastern othrodox monk, go to Veeky Forums. If you want to discuss how to summon angels, go to /x/.

Veeky Forums is for the discussion of the humanities and history, not your bible study. If you want to learn more about Christianity from a religious perspective and not a historical of human perspective, then go to church. If there isn't a church of whatever denomination you're playing within driving distance then you're just LARPing.

Religion may not fall under humanities, but religion is specifically included in this boards discussion topic. Please, do read up on your rules before telling others they are breaking them.

>This board is dedicated to the discussion of history and the other humanities such as philosophy, religion, law, classical artwork, archeology, anthropology, ancient languages, etc. Please use Veeky Forums for discussions of literature. Threads should be about specific topics, and the creation of "general" threads is discouraged.
>Religion

Thank you, I shall look into all that I am able to.

Just go ahead and read Works of Love by Kierkegaard. No prior reading necessary, aside from the Gospels.

How is Religion not part of Humanities?

In every Humanities course there's almost always Religion.

You are wrong
>This board is dedicated to the discussion of history and the other humanities such as philosophy, religion, law, classical artwork, archeology, anthropology, ancient languages, etc.
>humanities such as
Religion in itself is not a humanity, so the only possible interpretation of this is that it's about humanities related to religion, so no theology allowed.
Besides theological threads have already been before.

been deleted before*

Until Religion gets it's own containment board (Veeky Forums doesn't fit due to us believing our "larping", and /x/ doesn't fit cause it isn't religion according to it's self-understanding), like /rel/ or /theo/ (better, cause /rel/ would draw in to much biblicist shitposters) Veeky Forums is the most appropriate board, since the history of religion is a large part in understanding how it's doctrines evolved.

Nope. In a lot of country it doesn't the only country I am aware of that does that is Germany who only sees stuff like medicine, pedagogy and psychology as "Humanities" (Humanwissenschaften) and has it's own category called "Sciences of the Spirit" (Geisteswissenschaften) for Theology, Philosophy, Literature, Languages, Religious Studies, Social studies, etc.

But that is basically just splitting humanities in half.

NP.

Keep in mind I ordered them historically. Aside from the biblical books prbly you really do not have to read them in order. Just start where whatever your heart draws you too the most and work your way to the other ways via the themes and concepts that are "yours".

>What the mods actually meant was...
Until they make a public statement that confirms your "interpretation", I will continue posting these threads.

>interpretation
nope it's what it literally says, there is no different interpretation possible, and the board is called history & humanities not history & religion & humanities.

>literally says
No.

Yes it does, now go into the denial stage

No.

Why the fuck would you want to be -any- religion?
A religion is either has enough evidence it's true or there is no evidence and following the religion is as pointless as following any of the others.
What makes religicucks feel the need to join a religion when their heart isn't in it? Literally just trying to fit in?

I Heard orthodoxy is getting popular on a spiritual level, so try that.

>becoming a Christian again
If you believe on Jesus Christ you will always be a child of God

Book of John Chapter 3
16 For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.
17 For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.

Religion fits in the humanities. However, only to the point of the discussion of theology and history of religion. However, proselytizing and what amounts to religious shilling is NOT humanities

Which translation were you so entranced by?

King James

ie
O daughter of Babylon, who art to be destroyed; happy shall he be, that rewardeth thee as thou hast served us.

Happy shall he be, that taketh and dasheth thy little ones against the stones.

Yes it is.

What the hell do you find so entrancing about that?

I just like it.

I like burritos, doesn't mean I want to worship them. I just can't see how you'd derive spiritual significance from some tribal Jewish hate letter about a polity that ceased to exist a long-ass time ago.

Shhh.

perhaps you are blind

Veeky Forums is the most appropriate board for religion unless they make a /rel/ or /theo/

If you wish to actually become a Christian again, pick a denomination that you agree with the best and then just find a church of that denomination and talk to the priest there.

Blind to what? What transcendental truth is there in "Babylon sucks, can't wait to murder babies?"

>I wish to look into becoming a Christian once again.
why?

You're too simplistic, user. It's about cleansing this Holy Earth, God's own temple, after it has been desecrated.

Yeah sure whatever mayne.

Why are you against this? Even this being interesting is why it is.
What is you belief? Atheist or not?

Can we please get a /rel/ board for this nonsense?

"Little ones" is the literal translation of the Hebrew phrase for children (although it can also mean "younger ones", like the younger contrasted with the elder), doesn't necessarily have to mean babies (like implied in Blood Meridian). It's like saying the "spawn of Satan".