Other Greek citystates?

The only ones I hear about are usually Athens and Sparta, and occasionally Corinth. Were there other Greek citystates besides these? And did they have kingships like Sparta or a democracy like Athens?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Third_Sacred_War
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Thebes is probably number 3. Phocis is interesting as well. You should read up on the Third Sacred War. Shit is crazy yo

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Third_Sacred_War

Thespians, they were players

There were about a dozen Greek cities along the coast of Anatolia, Miletus being the greatest of these. However, they were usually ruled by despots in the thrall of whoever was the regional power - Lydia, Persia, Alexander.

Syracuse niqqa.

Tryants & Science n shiet.

>and occasionally Corinth

I hardly ever hear about them. I only know that romans destroyed it. What did define corinthians?

Like said Thebans are probably more well known, if only because they defeated the spartans with an army of fags.

Before it got fucked up, Boeotia and its de facto capital Thebes was a regional power for some time, as this poster pointed out It is perhaps the most unfortunate city in mythology.

Argos is pretty rad.

Every city was a polis/city-state.sometimes they were under the dominion of Athens or Sparta or Thebes, but they had their own government and stuff.

Most remained largely independent until the Debian league and then again until Philip II.

Athens liked to destroy cities and enslave their entire populace and turn them into military colonies. Sad fate of many islands and cities in Thrace.

There were literally thousands of Greek poleis, most had only a thousand or so people in them. Each one had its own distinct culture, constitution and system of government.

Gonna add to Pergamon to the list of based city-states, I visited the place.

Calydon, the subject of the famous Calydonian Boar Hunt, home of the heroes Meleager and Atalanta.

>kingships like Sparta

SPARTA WAS A REPUBLIC, NOT A MONARCHY —NOR A DEMOCRACY.

You're wrong. Sparta was closest in character to a dual-monarchic oligarchy.

Sparta had both Kings and councils of elders if I remember correctly

Tell me more, I've been wanting to learn more about Syracuse

And a constitution, and citizenship.

I love Argos. The mythical conception of Argos is like the original archetype for what we envision for traditional fantasy stories and the peaceful kingdoms they usually begin in. It's the home of some of the greatest heroes of Greek myth.

I love you Veeky Forums

t. Greek person

THE SPARTAN POLITICAL STRUCTURE WAS CONSTITUTED BY THREE BODIES: THE GEROUSIA, THE EPHORATE, THE APELLA.

THE KINGS WERE MERE HEADS OF STATE WITH EXECUTIVE POWERS; THEY DID NOT HAVE ABSOLUTE POWER, THEREFORE IT WAS NOT A MONARCHY.

THE POPULACE AS SUCH, OUTSIDE THE ELECT GROUP OF THE APELLA, HAD NO POLITICAL POWER, THEREFORE IT WAS NOT A DEMOCRACY.

ALL POLITICAL MOTIONS ISSUED FROM AND OCCURRED AMONG THE THREE POLITICAL BODIES; IT WAS A REPUBLIC.

How did we get this far without mentioning Rhodes?
>best fleet in the Hellenistic/Roman period, >serious bromance with Rome
>vast trade empire
>made the fucking COLOSSUS out of the melted down weapons of its enemies.

My personal favorite, famiglia.

Three organs of power
>Two Kings, religious & military authority
>Ephors, executive authority
>Gerousia/Elders/Senate, legislation
And rights for Periokoi/free non Spartans as well
Pergamon is based m8. Attalids for life.

(Not him)

Agreed, but practically speaking, it was an oligarchy.

>THE KINGS WERE MERE HEADS OF STATE WITH EXECUTIVE POWERS; THEY DID NOT HAVE ABSOLUTE POWER, THEREFORE IT WAS NOT A MONARCHY.

U wot m8 The UK, Spain or Sweden are monarchies today and the kings are figureheads.

>THE KINGS WERE MERE HEADS OF STATE WITH EXECUTIVE POWERS; THEY DID NOT HAVE ABSOLUTE POWER, THEREFORE IT WAS NOT A MONARCHY.

By that logic, you didn't have any monarchies in Europe until about the 17th century, since monarchs never wielded absolute power.

You are extremely stupid, which I realize is a redundant statement aimed at a tripfag.

What's modern Pergamon like?

1. SPARTA WAS A REPUBLIC.

2. ANY GOVERNMENT IS CONSTITUTED BY THE FEW; NO GOVERNMENT IS CONSTITUTED BY THE MAJORITY —NOT EVEN DEMOCRATIC ONES.

Athens, Thebes, and Corithin, Argos, Megera, and Sparta were major inland players during the end of the 5th century. Thebes, Corinth, and Athens were also the major intellectual hotspots, but we mostly know only about Athens today because the Macedonians rekted Thebes off the map and the Romans rekted Corithin off the map. The Romans also rekted Athens, but not as bad.

Corinthian were notorious for being luxurious and wealthy. They also apparently had some pretty good prostitutes and winning athletes and other successful men after achieving something big like go there and fuck their whores, which were notorious for being gold-diggers as well.

>Megera

I've never heard of Megera, what exactly did they do?

>were there other Greek citystates besides the three that I know about from memes and vidya because I'm a thirteen year old faggot

I don't know, man. Some things will always be a mystery to us.