What is historical reason for using... this retardation of measure system?

What is historical reason for using... this retardation of measure system?

People used different measures.
Then the French had a great idea witha that metric shit.
The Anglos opossed it just because.

Most of the individual measurements in imperial are more useful for actual everyday life.

Atmospheric temperatures rarely exceed 50 C, unless you live in Australia, but they routinely dip below 0 C.

Human body temperature is just under 100F.

0 to 100 in Fahrenheit is going to be a lot more useful on most of the planet.

Feet are better than meters for describing human sized things.

Also, the cost of disruption far outweighs the benefits of standardization.

Because it always makes the rest of the world angry

usa usa usa

Well that's History since the middle ages basically.

>French try to make things better for everyone
>Anglo thwart their plans over and over again

Latest example would be the EU and Thatcher fucking shit up.

Blame Britain, the US inherited it from them

>Also

Fahrenheit was based off a much older scale that the Romans used. It was implemented so that you didn't have to start using negative numbers when temperatures fell below freezing

> they routinely dip below 0 C
Well. if they are below zero you know that water would be frozen. Not completely useless, to be honest.

My theory here is that you want the first 100 or so units of your temperature system to cover the most common atmospheric temperatures.

That way it's easier for people to convert the numbers into an actual idea of the weather conditions.

Maybe I'm just rationalizing what I grew up with.

The Imperial measurement system was practical measurements based on human sized things and temperatures.
Metric was developed to make science and math easier and less prone to mistakes, even at the expense of convenience for relative, human, everyday applications of them. Not that it's much of an inconvenience, mind you.

Practicality birthed imperial, science birthed metric.

/thread
Metric does have its practicality though, especially when it comes to weight of water

Yeah, like I said, for anything scientific metric is much superior since everything is a factor of 10. But Imperial was used at a time when the best rulers were body parts and measuring sticks based off body parts, and rocks and water displacement were used to determine weight.

When you can measure things by the mm, metric is awesome. Try using metric in 1066 AD and you're going to run into some issues with precision.

Thatcher was all for the EU, she opposed it at the end of her career and then her reputation plummeted

>I don't understand it and refuse to do my own research so therefor it must be retarded

Because fuck you.

Also imperial is superior for woodworking and construction.

Because fuck you, that's why.

It bothers me as an American that we don't use the metric system. When I go to other countries or listen to things and read books from other places, I don't really get the measurements. I think it would be better to be on one system.

Intransigence. Fuck your clearly better system.

Why do imperial vs metric threads always seem really similar to circumcised vs uncircumcised threads?

>Most of the individual measurements in imperial are more useful for actual everyday life.
T. American.
>My theory here is that you want the first 100 or so units of your temperature system to cover the most common atmospheric temperatures.
Why the first 100 but not 10 or 12 and use decimals to reach the same resolution? Or maybe I want 120? It's beyond the point.

For Fahrenheit 100 means it's very hot, sure but 0 is completely arbitrary, Danzig(where Fahrenheit lived) has seen much worse winters than 0F(or -18C), especially back in his times. 100 Celsius means the water boils and 0 that there might be snow.

Temperature is literally up to what you grew up or what you are used to to but Celsius has the advantage of using the same scale as Kelvins which makes lots of calculation simpler.

So what's next?
>DUH FEET CAN BE EASILY DIVIDED IN 3 WHICH MEANS YOU'RE SOMEHOW GOING TO BE MORE PRECISE THAN WHEN YOU DIVIDE A METRE IN 3.

Yeah but mile can't be divided like that, it's all internally incoherent as can be expected from a system that takes 20 different regional measurements and somehow makes measurement system out of it. So it applies to feet to inch conversion but nothing else. If the entire system would take 12 as a base then I agree - 12 is superior base number, especially nowadays as logarithmic tables became outdated.

There's literally no reason for using imperial system other than being used to it. Of course "transitioning" to metric will take enormous amount of effort and years of time so nobody does it(for example - imagine 1/2 " bolt - it's 12,7 mm, wrench size 12 will be too small and size 13 will be little-bit-too-big and if you screw it tight you'll have problems with unscrewing it with 13, so if Americans decided to switch to metric their mechanics would have to have 2 sets of wrenches just because).

its just you

Decimal is trash.

>Ignorant americans don't have to learn metric, we have to learn imperial in my cunt that uses metric.

Fucking burger shit measurement system meme.

>12
>3
>16
Good, agreeable, satisfying numbers. Every fan of numbers likes these numbers.

Much better than just 10 100 1000 10000 100000 1000000

> Base 3 > Base 10

T. Burger

felling for /pol/ memes. Have a great day you sub human idiot