Culture Creators

Why are some countries (Italy/France/Japan) so great at creating culture/art, while others (Germany/China) are fucking terrible? I just don't get it.

(also, no plebs/germanboos ITT please)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=g6CaoUFT47M
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

China? Really?
Germany ok, but China has plenty of history and culture, art. Less known to the west.

Germanic ppl come from rather unpleasant lands, Mediterranean climate meant ppl can do other things except trying to survive the winter.

Patriarchal family structure values material success more than spiritual one.

lol, all western philosophy is basicly german thing... also social sciences and humanities in general. fuck them frenchies

>China? Really?

What was the last Chinese film you saw? The las Chinese designer clothing you bought? The last Chinese song you listened to? The last Chinese architecture you admired?

It's fucking more than 1/6th of the world population! And they have entire villages of copied European architecture, could've created something on their own with the same money.

>all western philosophy is basicly german thing

yeah, yeah, sure thing bro. Use the other forum please bro:

>Mediterranean climate

Also, the climate argument is a pretty shitty one. In the last 50 years climate was pretty much irrelevant, yet German cities are ugly as sin and German-born fashion designers emigrate ASAP because "Germany is a artistically dead country".

Reminder that ancient China made all the art and culture, while Japan just copied everything from China.

Anime and manga? You could make an arguement for ukiyo-e, but woodblock printing came from fucking China. And anime today was "inspired" from Disney.

>Anime and manga

I meant more like fashion and film.

Cranach, Schongauer, Grunewald, Durer, Holderlin, Goethe, ETA Hoffmann, Bach, Telemann, Pachelbel.

Germany does not lack artists, you lack education.

(I'm French.)

>who is akira kurosawa

>German cities are ugly as sin
I'm told a few bombs fell on them some time ago user kun.

>here's a list of literally whos to prove my point

I'd find 10 "important" Nigerian artists if I lower my standards low enough.

why'd they rebuild them ugly instead of pretty?

This.

If anything, it's the protestant countries (including the anglos) who didn't have much output. There was a great group of pics showing the centers of culture in Europe throughout History, the largest were situated in France, Italy and Catholic Germany.

Every country rebuilt ugly after the war. Even countries who didn't have anything to rebuild started building ugly.

>oh look, it's a Papist shitposter again

intothetrashitgoes.jpg

>what is Japanese horror
>who is Takashi Miike
>what the fuck was Gojira/Godzilla

If we're talking film, it's a whole different ballgame. I didn't know China had a film industry.

>Every country rebuilt ugly after the war.

Communism is pretty aesthetic desu.

I'm not a "papist", nor do I particularly prefer catholics over protestants. I just wish I had those maps.

>Implying Japanese writing, religion, art, clothing, traditions, architecture and technology (before Westernization/contact with Europe) were not from China

>Implying Japanese technology and culture of the Modern Era were not just direct copies and adoption of Western culture and technology

Weaboo, you can argue that Japan is excellent at copying/imitating things and sometimes improving what they copy, but you are stepping over the line if you believe Japan "creates" culture and art.

Kitsch isn't aesthetic. Granted whoever designed this shit for Causescu tried to improve on the commie style, but it still looks like shit.

I don't know if you are OP, but you have the same problem. If you are serious and not just trying to be a master ruseman and bamboozle me with le intentional fallacies, you cannot judge art or culture because of your laughable lack of culture. At least Google the names.

>I'd find 10 "important" Nigerian artists if I lower my standards low enough.
Please do.

Because it was the 50s.

there you go, japan stronk

Cultural things people think are Japanese creations but are actually from/influenced from China:

1. Kimono and most traditional garbs
2. Rock gardens
3. Bonsai trees
4. Most elements of religion (e.g. Zen Buddhism is Chinese)
5. Origami
6. Tea ceremony
7. Basically all traditional architecture
8. Literature traditions

And the list goes on... forever

Japanese movies can cut right through inferior european blades, honorable user sama.

Also Mozart, Beethoven, Handel, Haydn, Bach, Wagner, Schumann...Germans are godly at classical music

Pioneers in electronic music too in the 70s, i.e. Kraftwerk

Many of the greatest composers ever were Germanic.

This guy will tell you that he does not know them, and that they are therefore irrelevant. You can't argue with someone who takes pride in his ignorance.

>What was the last Chinese film you saw? The las Chinese designer clothing you bought? The last Chinese song you listened to? The last Chinese architecture you admired?

Well, China experienced devastating wars, famines, CULTURAL REVOLUTION (GG Chinese culture), and Communism (basically) in the last century.

Developing nations have an obsession with copying anything that seems to feel "modern" or "developed." Give China some time and it will start going "back to its roots"

One interesting thing China did recently was make a full-scale reconstruction of the old Summer Palace, and they made it into a theme park, which is odd.

A kimono wearing otaku social studies professor and hikikomori was teaching a class on Asian History
'Before the class begins, you must get on your knees and worship the Tenno and accept that that the Japanese are the most highly-evolved human beings that the world has ever known."

At this moment, a sagacious, filial, scholar-gentleman who has scored ahead of 150,000 students in the Civil Service Exams and understood the full extent of the barbarity of those living outside Zhongguo held up a copy of the Nihon Shoki.

"What are the characters written upon the pages of the Nihon Shoki?"

The arrogant professor smirked, tightened his hachimaki, and smugly replied "Kanji, you baka."

"True, Kanji, which loosely translates into "Han characters." To be precise the Nihon Shoki is written in Guwen, which is Classical Chinese script. If the Japanese are indeed perfect human beings then they would have come up with their own culture & civilization as opposed to just borrowing from the Chinese or from anyone else."

The Professor was visibly shaken and dropped his calligraphy brush and copy of his juvenile mangas. He stormed out of the room and tried to commit seppuku like in his animes.

The students applauded with a big "wansui!" and all signed up with the Popular Uprising that day and declared that the scholar-gentleman has the Mandate of Heaven. A dragon named "Tianxia" flew into the room and coiled around the Chinese flag and magically turned it yellow. The Analects was read several times, and the Jade Emperor himself showed up and enacted territorial seizures of disputed territories around the country.

The professor lost his tenure and was fired the next day. He died of complications caused by an erroneous performance of the seppuku ritual and went to Diyu, where he is tried, found guilty, and punished by the Ten Yama Kings of Diyu.

Kek if that is OC I applaud you wholeheartedly

Laughed loudly

Wuxia films aren't that underground, the Wu-Tang Clan made an entire album around that theme

To be fair, modern China is pragmatic as hell and gives no shits about popular culture. I don't blame them, I suppose working to improve the country is more useful than producing art.

Well those films, aren't all that fun to watch without knowing of the WTC

Maybe so, I guess once art starts to have more influence in the country it shows the levels of education have risen. In general people ITT must remember that China has a very restrictive government that still puts people in prison and labour camps for speaking their minds...

China had a hell of a lot of culture right up until the late 19th century, when it became directly influenced by the more technologically advanced West. The regressive Manchu decrees, the corruption of the republic and the later 'dictatorship of the proletariat' didn't help matters much.

>the Jade Emperor himself showed up and enacted territorial seizures of disputed territories around the country.
underrated

>people are responding to such bait

Are we not allowed to mention the fact that the best classical composers & the only romantic composer who matters were German?

Well, there are actually many people that unironically believe that Japan is the heart of Eastern Civilization and they invented everything, so we have to address that just in case.

Also, anti-German MeeM's are quite spicy this year and the last, so we have to balance that.

'Aesthetic' is a neutral term. Everything is aesthetic or has an aesthetic. Some aesthetics are better than others. This meme has to end.

>China has no culture
This better be b8

Most of the Wuxia films you've probably watched are from Hong Kong pre-handover (1997) or from Taiwan. I wish I was kidding.

Chinese movies (from China) are a more... recent thing.

>Doesn't understand the word culture
>Calls other people plebs

ok

this is bait

>who is shakespeare
>what is the Northern Renaissance

beethoven and wagner are garbage for angsty teens tbqh

>popular culture
>art
Pick one, and only one.

Chinese movies from China are still Hong Kong shit or Taiwanese collabs. Only this time with more money and even state support.

Pic related. Hengdian World Studios is an entire city dedicated to Cinema. Unlike Hollywood though, there's 0 glamour since its mostly technical shit thats in here such as greenscreen studios, offices and residences for film production staff, and whole swathes of land transformed into movie sets such as copies of Chinese palaces & city-sets from different eras, even copies of Western locations. All that granted to Taiwanese/HK/Mainland filmmakers with state money.

>Everything is aesthetic or has an aesthetic

No it isn't. The cities in Germany have no aesthetic, but are usually just random buildings.

Someone explain this. I am dumbfounded.

My guess:
>poor eastern euro country
>they work as goldfarmers
>on the side, they butcher chickens for extra pay whenever they get a new load on the table just for that extra cash

I dont know

>and they made it into a theme park, which is odd
Makes perfect sense to me, a theme park is a fairly democratic institution. It would have been a total farce if they rebuilt it, only to restrict access to the public.

I enjoyed this.

You don't get it do you? I know a few things about art, and "Cranach, Schongauer, Grunewald" are literally whos and on the bottom of any artist ranking anyone could think up. Nobody appreciates their shitty drawings, you'll find better ones on deviantart today.

kek'd hard

One of them is clearly playing counter strike/hl1 death match though

Japan stole damned near everything from China, you fucking tard.

Just because you don't seek out and watch Chinese movies and they tend to stay, you know, in the Chinese market, doesn't mean they don't exist.

>China Germany
>bad art / culture
Why would people do that, just put lies out there to see if they stick?

Everything I dislike is only liked by disliked group of people

What a well researched opinion you have there

The few recent popular chinese movies I've seen come of as incredibly crude. A lot is probably lost in translation, but it's either stiff and pompous historical dramas, or bottom-of-the-barrel comedies and fantasy dreck.

Late 80's and early 90's has some good cinema though. The Story of Qiu Ju is a great tragic comedy for instance.

>What is the Northern Renaissance.

Not much really, compared to the proper Renaissance.

>Who is Shakespeare?

The role he played in writing his plays is still being debated.

>implying japan has some artistic history

are you fucking retarded.

Ukrainian Europeans doing usual European things.

You're an uneducated fuck regarding China. China literally spawned Japan's culture and language. China influenced Asia on literally every single level you can imagine. Chinese films are the most influential in Asia. There are several designers of Chinese ethnicity currently living in the west including Vera wang, Jason Wu, Jimmy Choo and more. Your entire criticism of China is based on a few things in the last 200 years. Compared to thousands of years of history along with continuous modern technological innovations and developments of China that you failed to mention or recognise, your argument is void.

Get an education before you make such stupid claims again you filthy mongrel.

Also Japan's entire modern culture was copied from America and Eurooe anyways you fucking hypocrite.

Fucking rekt, auspicious times be with you user. Kekked even harder considering I've been recently watching the 2010 Romance of the Theee Kingsoms series.

>tfw you will never be a wealthy advisor helping your lord and getting paid mad cash while you cuddle your 10+ concubines at night

I'm sure everyone else here has already called you a faggot, but I would be remiss if I didn't also call you a faggot.

Lol, I don't say this often but you're one ignorant idiot if you legit think China has an inferior culture, let alone none.

I won't even bother "educating" you, it's a lost effort

So when you say culture you mean a technological medium that has only existed for just over a hundred years and clothing. Seems like a pretty shit selection.

>Grunewald
>Durer
>Goethe
>Bach
>Low standards

What is wrong with you?

Well considering they are two of the most popular classical composers it's just a false statement. also you just outed yourself as the angsty teen.

>you mean a technological medium that has only existed for just over a hundred years
>Seems like a pretty shit selection.

It's a perfect selection, because everybody had the same chances.

I was you when I first met the Slav

>You know all the German art, music, literature, philosophy, architecture and science?
>None of that is culture

You never mentioned in the first post that you were using such an arbitrary, idiosyncratic and unintuitive definition for culture. Maybe that should have been the first thing you did.

>Everybody had the same chances

Well for one why does that mean anything? And also no they didn't. There is a reason why it's technologically advanced wealthy nations that made the early films. And if you chose clothing because everyone had the same chances how is that different from everything else? Your bizarre definition and selection makes no sense.

Well, everything else you said is right, but if you think South Korean pop/film culture isn't the most influential in Asia right now, you are making a mistake.

>A dragon named "Tianxia" flew into the room and coiled around the Chinese flag and magically turned it yellow.
Isn't yellow the color of the Manchu Qing dynasty?

Yes but nope, it isn't a Manchu thing.

Yellow is to Chinese culture what purple is to the west: the Imperial Color. It was also a "national" color in the sense that it represents the cardinal direction of centre (China = Central State), the element of earth, and the qualities of glory & happiness.

>Germany ok
pls

>still being debated
Not by Shakespeare scholars to any serious extent. There is undeniable evidence and testimony that William Shakespeare of Stratford Upon Avon wrote the plays published in the First Folio.

youtube.com/watch?v=g6CaoUFT47M

fucking bizarre

>I know a few things about art
>"Cranach, Schongauer, Grunewald" are literally whos and on the bottom of any artist ranking anyone could think up.
>Nobody appreciates their shitty drawings
>you'll find better ones on deviantart today.
Bah. Not too bad, you did make me smile.

mfw I see that fashion came from the culture/art lands (Italy/France/Japan) and now it's degenerating since the others are taking the main places (London/NY/Shanghai)

k

We've been saying this since the dawn of clothes

It needs to happen.