You did the Game Design meme in college years ago and still can't get anywhere

>you did the Game Design meme in college years ago and still can't get anywhere

Don't want to give up but where can I go from here? Should I just go back to school?

Other urls found in this thread:

nytimes.com/interactive/2014/08/15/magazine/bad-paper-debt-collector.html?_r=0
lpi.org/3-in-1-advantage-take-two/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Learn a trade. Your current degree is literally worth nothing.

Do you have a job in your field?

...colleges actually offer a degree called "Game Design?"

Do a community college course in something with demand like IT or be a CNA.

Design a game.

so in those years at Game Design university you managed to learn literally nothing else of relevance about computers or mathematics, or design?

this senpai

If you're anywhere on the west coast, you should be getting in touch with the devs out there.

In the meantime, make your own fucking games. Learn programming.

lurk there for awhile

Oh christ, dude.

> Game Design in college
> Don't want to give up

Why not? Seriously, this is what's holding you back. You absolutely need to
give up hope of working in that industry. Let me guess, you went to some
for-profit Art Institute?

Your best-bet is to pivot into web development or get cracking on something
new. Do you have any savings to work on? I might recommend buying consumer debt
and start cold calling people who have defaulted. It's scummy but you'll make a
decent living with zero degree required.

What exactly is a game design degree?

Surely it has a lot of overlap with a computer science degree and/or taught you at least some kind of programming language?

Please don't tell me it's like business administration, where they meme you into thinking you can manage a business where you don't even understand how the product is made.

I used to work in the industry for two years as a UI Designer, but frankly didn't really enjoy it, definitely wasn't for me.
Literally just design with a tiiiny bit of coding and 3D modeling to get around. Most of it was just theory.. I ended up learning shit in my spare time. Just wish I was intelligent enough back then to drop out early.

Problem is I can't really use this degree for anything else, it seems.

I meant "not give up" as in, not killing myself. Since that's usually the answers people get in Veeky Forums, Also what do you mean buying consumer debt?

I've thought of something like Computer Repair maybe. How many years of college is IT usually?

nytimes.com/interactive/2014/08/15/magazine/bad-paper-debt-collector.html?_r=0

I'm too pussy for that.

Sigh... I feel for you man. What were you thinking, going into "Game Design"? Didn't your parents try to stop you?

Anyway, if you're looking to go into IT, my advice is that you should self-study and pay the money to get some IT certs. Linux+ and a CCNA will get you a solid salaried job.

5 years ago I was pretty much a big gullible retard. And yeah, parents did also think it was stupid, I still feel a ton of remorse over this, but I learned from it.

I'll take a look into those Certs, thanks a ton for the info.

So wait, your degree was mainly design based but you couldn't pivot into UX or Design for a startup?

Look into this:

lpi.org/3-in-1-advantage-take-two/

Tighten up those graphics breh

You have a relevant degree to what you want to do, even if it didn't teach you anything, and that's all that matters.

Start self learning how to code for games and apps. Make studying your second full time job.

See what else you can learn and get certified in for design and programming languages.

Get some skills and resume padding.

You can easily turn this around of you put in enough effort

This.

Is your degree actually Game Design? I am currently a programmer at a shitty company with no degree. Just get a job like that.

If you truly are capable as a game designer, you can make games on the side, get a portfolio and use your programming experience and game design work to get into the industry.

Personally, I've made fuck all games, so I've given up on that dream. Can't design games for a living if you can't design games period.

Get a back office job at a financial firm in your spare time learn programming/go to a very inexpensive commuter college to fulfill prereqs for a marketable MS

Got my bachelors degree in this. Turned it around and since we learned Photoshop and Illustrator, I applied for a graphic design position at an agency. 47k a year compared to my other friends who still live at home because "muh game design dreams".

Stop being a faggot and expand on what you learned. Also made a game on my spare time, nada special though.

Link? I'm a compulsive spender and like supporting indie devs.