Looking to expand my knowledge on Native American history...

Looking to expand my knowledge on Native American history. Does anybody have some books or other resources they might recommend?

Like what? Great Plains natives? Pacific Northwest natives? The Pueblo of the South west? Natives of the apalacians? Eskimos of Alaska? Native Hawaiians?

Not OP, but do you know of anything that covers all of the above? Even if only briefly

Also, can anybody reccomend a good starting source/book for American history in general? Like everything for colonization to the 21st century? I really liked my history books when i was in elementary/middle school, but i cant remember the names of them and i get the feeling there are much better sources out there nowadays. I want to learn all i can about the history of my country.

It should be an option to add PDF here. Only in this type of boards.

History of the American Indians

500 Nations is an excellent documentary narrated by Kevin Costner. If you have any specific questions, I will answer them to the best of my ability.

I should mention "History of the American Indians" is by James Adair.

Did you know the oldest tablets of the 10 Commandments were found etched in paleo hebrew at Los Lunes, New Mexico?

Be extremely wary of biased material. A lot of books written after the 70's redeveloped the "Noble Savage" mentality and treat the natives a lot differently than they actually were. Similarly, you need to be extremely careful of books written before this for the opposite reason.

Not OP, but, how was their political structure?

here. Stop treating the natives like they were a blanket case. Each tribe handled things differently and they were just as distinct from one another as the European states.

OP here. Thank you for the feedback I'll definitely check out "History of the American Indians" and watch that documentary too. I don't have any specific questions because I'm pretty much clueless on them except for where a few of the different groups were located.

1491 by Charles C. Mann is a pretty good one if you just want a very broad introduction to pre-Columbian times.

Not OP but I'm looking for info on natives in the northern va area, how they lived and such.

Indeh by Eve Ball is a book about the Apaches written by a woman who interviewed the sons and cousins of the last Apache rebels. Asa daklugie was Geronimo's cousin for example. The Apache regard it as the best book of their side of the story.

Not pre-colombian but there was an excellent book interviewing the code talkers and discussing their lives.

That's a pretty wide topic OP.

Does anyone have any information on the Comanche and their use of cavalry forces? Particularly any tactics they employed and with a focus on their use of war lances and bows as opposed to firearms?

Did they, as essentially light cavalry, simply employ ambush hit-and-run style attacks with their cavalry charges? What about horse archers, did they have them to any significant degree and to any particular success?

Were there other notable Native American tribes that adopted the horse culture to a similar extent as the Comanche?

Pre or post colonization?

>horses
>before columbus

They were probably NOVA fags, much like the modern population of NOVA

Well considering they didn't have horses in North America until Europeans showed up...

the jesuit papers from early canada,lots of good info and comparisons between the 2 cultures all firsthand by people who lived decades with the natives

Nothing that in depth, but I know Hamalainen(?) wrote a nice little summary of the rise and fall of Plains equestrian cultures, such as differences in their acquisition of horses, and how their way of life was or wasn't sustainable.

this
some nasty business however based on Jesuit writings

Currently reading An Indigenous Peoples' History of the United States.

I'd also like to recommend Games of the North American Indians. From like 1907 and is 800+ pages of games and physical activities categorized by tribe.

Read Gary Clayton Anderson's "Ethnic Cleansing and the Indian."

Anderson is one of the best Native American historians out there.

Bury my heart at wounded knee.

Define "history"
Having no written language means that everything before the Europeans arrived is a lot of oral history (bullshit) and conjecture.

I think technically horses did exist in america pre columbus but they went extinct. Though I think they went extinct before humans came over.

They had a multiple written languages dued lol

Pre columbisn not really. I think mayans had some kind of hieroglyphic written language butvthat was about it.

They weren't widespread and were restricted to the Mayans and Mixtecs. Unfortunately a huge chunk of precolumbian history is lost due to both the lack of writing and destruction of material by the Spanish.

I can only remember the burning of 27 mayans codices be Diego de Landa, and perhaps the first manuscrits of Sahuagin. Nothing compared to Itzcoatl, the fourth tlàtoāni than burned nearly all the Aztec and subjects books he could get his hands on.

The Shawnee Prophet is a cool read.

This is a great book on Native Americans in what's now the United States. It covers a very broad group of people and time frame, but I It think does it well. It's at least a good place to start.