What are the ten most significant events in the history of mankind?

What are the ten most significant events in the history of mankind?

List them in order of importance.

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Global_spread_of_the_printing_press
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

why are there no replies in my thread?

please respond

I start, you finish

1 According to DNA studies, modern humans left Africa in a single migration, spreading across the planet after just one tribe crossed into today’s Arabia 70,000 years ago

it’s reckoned that every human alive now who is not sub-Saharan African ultimately derives from a single woman.

2 11,000 years ago the planting and selection of cereals, alongside the tethering of some animals. It meant that people stopped being nomadic hunters, and human populations grew, trapping farmers with more mouths to feed.But without it there would have been no villages, towns – no empires.

3 1532AD Pizarro ambushes the Inca emperor Atahualpa,overwhelmed first by Spanish gunpowder and then by microbes. Some 95% of the native population disappeared after Europeans arrived in the Americas.

Francisco Pizarro’s obsession with gold and silver meant he melted down priceless artworks and sent them home as dreary blocks of bullion. The Spanish blew the wealth on church decorations and unsuccessful wars. Meanwhile, Pizarro’s men missed the really valuable object of all – the potato

God damn, 3 hurts to think about.

How much human tradition have we lost to violent colonialism?

I admit straight off the bat that I'm being eurocentric here. Actually eurocentric, not "MUH AFRICA HAS A UNIQUE AND DEEP CULTURE FUCK OFF SHITLORD" "eurocentric".

1. The Crucifiction of Christ
Even if you do not believe in the divinity of Christ, the significance of this event cannot be understated.

2. The invention of agriculture
Agriculture is THE fundamental neccessity for the construction of what can truly be called a civilization

3. The invention of a written system
I could not even make this list without that invention. 'nuff said.

4. The conquests of Alexander
Concepts that affected the entire Old World like Greek logic, philosophy, political thought and institutions as well as Koinè Greek were spread all over the ancient world.

5. The expansion of Rome
Objectively the foundation of modern Europe. Also coincides with point 1 to a certain degree.

6. The French Revolution
The creation of important, lasting institutions as well as the spread of liberal and especially republican thought as well as the concept of government by popular sovereignity and the concept of universal human rights changed the world forever.

7. Justinian's reconquest of Italy
Though shortlived, Justinian left behind his Codex Iustinianus, which would inspire Napoleon's code civil. The event is unimportant by itself, but of fundamental importance as the condicio sine quae non for a significant part of point 6.

8. The Spanish/Portuguese explorations and conquests
The Iberians truly opened up the world and besides establishing impressive empires, made the entire planet interconnected ensuring goods from all over the world could conceivably arrive on every shore.

9. The industrial revolution
Through a rapid succession of European inventions, the world changed forever.

10. Germ theory
Where doctors once were nearly powerless to combat diseases, many have become a triviality because of germ theory.

Constructive criticism is welcome, pls no bully.

>Francisco Pizarro’s obsession with gold and silver meant he melted down priceless artworks and sent them home as dreary blocks of bullion. The Spanish blew the wealth on church decorations and unsuccessful wars. Meanwhile, Pizarro’s men missed the really valuable object of all – the potato
Imagine a world where Spain had almost infinite manpower...
It's for the best that the Paddies got the tater.

When God took human body and lived among us.
When God told Saints more of His teachings to share with us.
When God spoke with Moses.
When God spoke with prophets.

>1. The Crucifiction of Christ

exaggeratedeyeroll.jpg

fedora spotted

Sweet meme, bro!

>10. Germ theory
People had known for a long time that you could stop someone getting smallpox (one of the world’s great killers, blinders and disfigurers) by infecting them with a tiny amount of its pus or scabs. But this could also kill.

in 1796 Edward Jenner discovered you could protect them by giving them harmless cowpox. He did it by grabbing a local farm boy and trying it. He has probably saved more lives than any other human

>the death of some random cult leader is the single most important event in history

He's right though. The dawn of Christianity is indeed the most pivotal point of human development.

Do you even know to what extent that changed Western history, Western perception of the self, Western morality and Western philosophy? There are even some who claim it caused the collapse of the Roman Empire. It's certainly up there as one of the most important events in human history looking at its vast consequences.

Fuck off, he's right

Two thousand years of Christianity : Pagans removed from Europe, Crusades, Missionaries that spread Christianity all over the World.

>5. The expansion of Rome
>Objectively the foundation of modern Europe. Also coincides with point 1 to a certain degree.
True, without Christian monasteries the existence of Rome in Europe would have been meaningless.

>Actual most important event
>Some religious crap

>How much human tradition have we lost to violent colonialism

I wouldn't even limit it to colonialism. It is just any violent encounter, or just shifts in ideology in a region.

ISIS and the Taliban have destroyed centuries old pieces of art out of iconoclasm. When the Nazis came to power in Germany, the burned entire University libraries. The cultural revolution in China may have destroyed millennia of knowledge and tradition.

Appreciation for tradition and history is not just not a universal human value, it is a somewhat rare one.

>Appreciation for tradition and history is not just not a universal human value, it is a somewhat rare one.
As a whole rather than bits and pieces, it seems to be entirely an Enlightenment value.

>great leap forward
That one hurts too. People are fascinating and terrifying at once. But thanks for expanding on it, anyways. I only realized after my post that I'd effectively limited my description to more recent colonialism and not mass migrations of turkic or germanic people. But violence in general and iconoclasty are both much better definitions of what causes this destruction of human knowledge.

1. The invention of the internet

Christianity is important. The crucifixion is not. I would pick Paul's conversion as the "event" with the most significance, as that is what lead to "Christian" ideas as we know them, and allowed it to spread beyond the original cult. Though it's still not the single most important event in history!

Fair enough.

>muh Christ
>no internet

1. 26.10.1989, creation of most perfect human, me

>Some 95% of the native population disappeared after Europeans arrived in the Americas.

Wow, I wonder if there is an actual reliable source on that or if it's just some sociology bullshit...

Importance is always subjective, so I will go by what is most significant to us as 21st century Westerners:

1. The Baptism of Clovis (ca. 496 AD)
2. The French Revolution (1789 AD)
3. The Conversion of Saint Paul (ca. 31 AD)
4. The Third Paris Condemnation (1277 AD)
5. The Battle of Tours (732 AD)
6. The Treaty of Paris (1783 AD)
7. The Battle of Bouvines (1214 AD)
8. The Siege of Paris (886 AD)
9. The Battle of Poitiers (1356 AD)
10. The Wannsee Conference (1942 AD)

Also I left out anything that can't be pinpointed to a single moment (like invention of writing, of agriculture, or beginning of sacrificial culture etc).

1. The invention of fire.

>10. The Wannsee Conference (1942 AD)

wat

You realize that the conference was for the consolidation of power, right? The Holocaust was already ongoing at the time.

Isn't that when the final solution was decided? If not then when?

Sounds like important things for France desu

No. The Final Solution was first expressed (mainly through Himmler, Mueller, and Heydrich to their underlings) as a serious plan of action in the spring and summer of 1941, during the planning of the invasion and occupation of the Soviet Union.

I'm surprised no one has said the invention of the printing press yet

Also also I left out anything that didn't "change the course of history". For example the discovery of America or Newton's laws were certainly major events, but they would have happened anyway. Meaning, if you went back in time and murdered Columbus or Newton, it's unlikely nobody else would ever have come along and done the same things, even if it would take a few decades longer.

They're all also hugely important for the rest of the world. I only realised after making the list how many of those events took place in France, but I suppose it's not that shocking considering I was focusing on the West and France is the centerpiece of Western civilisation.

Well is there an event that could be pointed at as the origin of the Holocaust?

>Wow, I wonder if there is an actual reliable source on that or if it's just some sociology bullshit...

Wow, I wonder if you know how to Google something...

Viking siege of Paris isn't important.

The signing of the manga carta is.

Your list is very francocentic. The invention of writing is something that belongs on this list

*that op asked for

The Viking Siege of Paris led to the rise of the Capetian family, which not only consolidated France into a unified kingdom and turned Paris into the most important city in the West, but also came to be the most influential House of Europe.

And what do you think led to the signing of the Magna Carta? The Battle of Bouvines, which is included.

Oh and about the invention of writing, see my tardy disclaimers here:

You must be 18 to post here.

>holohoax
rofl

1. Mongol Empire (displacement of europe via black plague, china/arab world via conquest)
2. Colonial Age (mass migrations, new countries, new power bloc, massive deaths)
3. Industrial Revolution (mass labor, shifting of rural to city work force, mass migration from rural to city)

This desu
honorable mentions: norman conquest, formation of abrahamic religions, anglo foundation of america

It's a very important step in our history, sure, but not anywhere near the top10.

China has plenty of inventions. You could simply say Chinese inventions and be done with it.

okay, ming

Simply correcting your statement. No need to feel threatened personally.

1. The resurrection of Jesus Christ
2. The crucifixion of Jesus Christ
3. The virgin birth of Jesus Christ
4. The fall from Eden
5. Abraham accepting God's covenant
6. Moses encountering the burning bush
7. The Exodus from Egypt
8. Receiving the Decalogue on Mt. Sinai
9. David slaying Goliath
10. Completion of King Solomon's temple

I didnt make the original statement though

What does China have to do with the printing press Mr ching-chong?

Read a history book on printing press. The chinks had movable printing press for about ~400-500 years before the Europeans "invented" it. They had wooden block printing for 400 years before the movable printing too.

These sudden European "inventions" with long Chinese/Indian inventions during the colonial time isn't purely coincidental, but rather transfer of knowledge.

Chinese just had simple printing by hand, like stamps. The printing press was invented by Johannes Gutenberg in the 15th century.

Thats the wooden block you dumb fuck.

They and the gooks had movable machine printing character by character.

>Christianity before agriculture and writing
Lel no.
Good list for the rest though.

Creation of the world.
Creation of man.
Fall of man.
Birth of Christ Jesus.
Death of Christ Jesus.
Resurrection of Christ Jesus.
Institution of the New Covenant.
Rapture
Tribulation
Second Coming

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Global_spread_of_the_printing_press

>The global spread of the printing press began with the invention of the printing press with movable type by Johannes Gutenberg in Mainz, Germany (circa 1439).

Now shut up already you idiot.

>The Crucifiction of Christ
while importance of Christianity can't be ignored, I would hesitate whether to include birth of Jesus, Sermon on the Mount, Crucification, Pentecost, st. Pauls missions, Edict of Milan, Council of Nicaea, christianization of barbarians or coronation of Charlemagne as The defining moment.

Counter-intuitive but good list.

I think the conversion of Paul and baptism of Clovis are the defining moments, like listed here: Well the latter is in relation to Catholicism specifically.

Fire

Tool-fashioning

Agriculture

The wheel

Writing

Gunpowder

Evangelical religions

Calculus

Volta's electric battery

Personal computers

Bonus: Printing Press

Not sure I follow some of those, could you explain?

Add metallurgy.

Those aren't events.

You might as well say "history".

That's because you're unaware of Jesus' divine nature.

Jesus is the Creator; without Him, nothing exists.

People confuse "important for human history" with "important to get us where we are". If you go with the first definition for things that were a real paradigm shift then I'd say

>Toba event
>Extinction of neanderthals and other human subspecies
>Invention of agriculture
>Domestication of animals
>Invention of a writing system
>Invention of the printing press
>Vaccination and disease control
>Industrial Revolution/discovery of petroleum and coal
>Discovery of atomic physics
>Invention of the internet

1. Discovery of fire

2. Spread of Homo Sapiens

3. Invention of Agriculture

4. Domestication of animals

5. Invention of Writing

6. Creation of the first civilizations and states (Sumerians, Egyptians, Cretans, Indus valley)

7. Classical Period (500 BC - 300 AD) and foundations of modern philosophy, science and medicine

8. Expansion of Abrahmic Religions (Islam, Christianity)

9. French Revolution and spread of secularism

10. Industrial Revolution

>1. Discovery of fire

>2. Spread of Homo Sapiens

>3. Invention of Agriculture

>4. Domestication of animals

>5. Invention of Writing

6. Creation of the first civilizations and states (Sumerians, Egyptians, Cretans, Indus valley)

>7. Classical Period (500 BC - 300 AD) and foundations of modern philosophy, science and medicine

>8. Expansion of Abrahmic Religions (Islam, Christianity)

>9. French Revolution and spread of secularism

>10. Industrial Revolution

1-The Ice Ages. Our species was litterally forged during the harsh conditions of the Ice Ages. Most of our major competition died off (including most of the other hominid species)

2-Language
I omit the invention of writing, since I regard it as the enabler of civilisation rather than event that have guided its path.

3-Farming

4-Development of modern mathematics, especially algebra and newtonian calculus.

5-Development of nuclear weapons

6-fall of rome

7-euclid gathering all other peoples work into a single book and clarifying.

8-The renaissance… We realized how dumb we are

9-Wheeled transport

10-bows and arrows

Alright so I'm going by actual events that can be pinpointed to a single moment, not long processes like "the agricultural revolution", and I'm also only including events that actually changed the course of history by setting a new path, not inevitable consequences of a path already taken like the invention of computers and such. If you start including those, there's really no way to gauge importance since each of those events is just one small link in a chain. Those I picked are also part of a chain of events, but I try to focus on those that represent the biggest "twist". Basically events for which you know that, had they not happened the way they did, our world today (as 21st century Westerners) would be vastly different.

>1. The Baptism of Clovis (ca. 496 AD)
This one is absolutely capital. By converting to the religion of the Gallo-Romans, the Franks were the only Germanics to create a successful and stable kingdom, which became the core of the West. In turn, their recognition and defence of Papal authority led to the Papacy becoming what it did, and thus to the foundation of Western Christendom, which is where Western civilisation would eventually be born. Had Clovis instead converted to Arianism or remained pagan, France would most likely have fallen prey to foreign invaders as Italy and Spain did, and the Pope would have been reduced to just one of many Orthodox Patriarchs. Most likely there would have been no West.

>2. The French Revolution (1789 AD)
This event founded the modern world, and the entire way we think of politics, statehood, nationhood, human and civil rights, and everything that relates to the public sphere. You might say these ideas were already present during Enlightenment, but so were many others, and it's the French Revolution which not only made its selection among them, but also led to the French conquest of Europe which imposed these ideas onto the whole world.

(1/4)

>3. The Conversion of Saint Paul (ca. 31 AD)
This is the birth of Christianity, not as the philosophy of Jesus Christ, but as a practical organised religion, turned Westward rather than East, and one which would serve as the foundation for two civilisations. There were other religions that could have played that role instead (Isis, Cybele, Sol Invictus, Emperor, Manichaeism etc), but while they were all similar to Christianity in the way they were felt, they all lacked the unique loving and pacifist perspective that is the Revelation, and which slowly made its way into the Western mind.

>4. The Third Paris Condemnation (1277 AD)
The foundation of modern science. Until then, in the West like in the East, there were almost exclusively two attitudes towards science: those who believed in reason as laid out by Aristotle in his work on Logic, and by extension in the absolute truth of everything written by Aristotle most notably in Physics; and those who rejected reason entirely on religious grounds. But in the third condemnation, the bishop of Paris forced the creation of a third stance, by still accepting the truth of Aristotlean Logic, but banning the University from teaching his Physics as indisputable fact. This broke the academic conservatism and meant that for the first time Aristotle could and had to be systematically questioned based on reason, and by extension that any scientific theory could always be put back into question and remain just that: theory. This was the missing element for the creation of the scientific method, and this shift in thinking led directly to the scientific revolution, an extraordinarily fast and sustained period of technological progress that is still going on today.

>5. The Battle of Tours (732 AD)
The defeat of the Muslim invasion of France and the stop put to Muslim expansion. Without it, Western civilisation may very well have been nipped in the bud.

(2/4)

>6. The Treaty of Paris (1783 AD)
The creation of the United States of America, the power that dominates the world today, both politically and culturally. From the moment of its creation and given its geographic location and the principles under which it was created, its rise would have been fairly predictable. The only remaining condition was the Louisiana Purchase, but it's unlikely France could have held on to that land anyway.

>7. The Battle of Bouvines (1214 AD)
A major victory of France against Angevin England and the HRE, highly important for both France and England. It led to the consolidation of most French land under the rule of the king of France, and the beginning of French absolute monarchy, as well as the birth of the French nation, which would one day serve as an example for all other nations. It also led to a decisive weakening of the English monarchy, with the king being forced to accept the Magna Carta, inaugurating the rule by the aristocracy in England, and also the first real system of individual rights and checks and balances, another example which eventually spread worldwide.

>8. The Siege of Paris (886 AD)
A heroic defence by Paris against the largest Viking invasion in history, it gave enormous prestige to the count of Paris Odo, while discrediting the Carolingian emperors by contrast. Odo was elected king, Paris became a hugely important city, and Odo's line forged France by ruling it until the 19th century, with cadet branches ruling most of the rest of Europe at different times as well.

>9. The Battle of Poitiers (1356 AD)
A defeat inflicted on the Valois king of France by the Angevins, it turned the Hundred Years war into a century of chaos that destroyed France. As a consequence, Western civilisation lost its centre, the Church lost its armed hand, and as France collapsed Italy and Germany rose to relevance, leading to the Renaissance, Humanism, and the Reformation, and to a permanent rift within Christendom.

(3/4)

>10. The Wannsee Conference (1942 AD)
Or whenever the final solution was decided. The Holocaust is fundamental to Postmodernism, today's governing ideology. Put simply, it states that Modernism has failed, and that modern structures such as nations and civic values and even rationalism are just as oppressive as pre-modern ones (already discredited by the French Revolution) such as Christianity and blood. The proof for this failure of Modernism is the Holocaust, which as the single most horrific act ever committed has taken an almost religious importance.

I'm open to criticism of course.

(4/4)

Extinction of the neanderthals
Wars of the Sea Peoples
Emperor Qin's raise to power
Cyrus' raise to power
An Lushan's rebellion
Caesar's death
Mongol conquests
Fall of the byzantine empire
Discovery of the Americas
Creation of the anglican church

Go, profit for free from our guesses and create a good list on Listverse or Cracked

t. frog

Nice, thanks!

Hiroshima is on the top 10. It marked the end of an era in which nationalism and fascism were viable as a political option, and the beginning of post-modernism.

>implying ISIS and the Taliban aren't a result of western imperialism

This is giving me a bad case of cognitive dissonance because it seems wrong and unbalanced because it includes 8 events in France including 4 in Paris, but at the same time I can't find a fault in your logic, aside from the eurocentrism you admitted to.

The human mind likes balance, but that's an aesthetic consideration that shouldn't play a role when looking for truth.

As for my West-centrism (not exactly eurocentrism), the thing is "importance" and "significance" are necessarily subjective. They call for the questions "important to whom?", "significant for what?". And the answer can't be "all of mankind in all times". Everything hugely significant to a 6th century Chinaman will be of no importance whatsoever to a 14th century Mayan. You have to adopt a perspective, so I'm opting for the present day perspective, and the fact is today Western civilisation dominates the entire planet. That's why I was looking at "what made Western civilisation what it is".

You fucking tell me, I am from Ecuador.
To be honest, the incans were fucking retarded.
The only incan with balls big enough to stand against the spaniards was Rumiñahui, and at least supposedly he managed to hide some stash of incan gold in a lake over here.
To be honest the worst things those fucking spaniards brought us were the famine, Christianity and niggers. Incans were kind of in a bad place, after a civil war and all, but Atahualpa let hundreds of conquistadors in the Sacred city because he thought they were bearded gods.
>mfw you can still easily identify pure incans by the fact that they can't grow a single piece of facial hair

>1
I'd change this to the Frankish barbarians adopting Catholicism. Christianity as a whole (especially when considering its branches outside of Europe) isn't that important, you're conflating it with the Catholic Church and the reason why the Catholic Church is so strong as it is today is thanks to the Franks adopting it instead of Arianism.

>7
I am not convinced, I don't think it belongs on this list.

Industrial revolution should be higher up on the list, and so does germ theory. Maybe you should included Newton's mechanization of the world? Before Newton, European though of explaining the "why" or "purpose" of things instead of "how". Newton was the one who, thanks to his formulas, decoded the entire world into mathematics, which inspired Europeans to write its all down into math. The world was no longer magic or divine, but mathematical. This is the roots of European 'rationalism'.

>Genocidal, misogynistic, messianic religious death-cults exist because of Western imperialism

Yeah, whatever makes you sleep better at night Chomsky.

Newton is a product of rationalism, not its inventor. The world was seen as mathematical since the 13th century.

>since the 13th century
>what is the pythagorean tradition

Not sure what point you're trying to make, but there are many writings from 14th century natural philosophers in Paris and Oxford who state as something commonly accepted that the physical world can be described entirely through mathematics. And rationalism as a full blown philosophy was quite uncontroversially founded by Descartes. Not to mention by then Kepler had already created complex mathematical models for physical movement.

So no, Western thinkers didn't believe the world was ruled by magic and pixie dust until Newton suddenly came along at the turn of the fucking 18th century and invented reason.

>Atahualpa thought the Spaniards were Gods

Opinion discarded. Also, Quisquis was the Inca general that put up a fiercer fight against the Conquistadores than Rumiñahui

Quisquis was a cunt who could have won the fucking war if he had left shitty Cusco.

>be quisquis
>get speared by retard ally

But he did think they were Gods. And to test this theory he sent them gifts of Gold and Feathers. This offering was made in part to ascertain who these strange foreigners were. They didn't act like gods and instead they greedily seized the gold.
source: Michael E. Smith, The Aztecs, 3e

Agriculture
Invention of alphabets
Insert a religion here according to your region
Roman Empire
Mongol Empire
Renaissence
Spanish colonizaron
Industrial and French Revolution
WWII
Invention of electronics and the Internet

Not by importance but what happened first (In the West) :
1. Agriculture and Settling Down from a nomadic way of life
The birth of civilization
2.Tablets in Mesopotamia
The birth of writing and counting
3.The Hellenization of Middle East
Alexander left a big legacy over there.
4.The Fall of the Roman Empire
The end of an Era (Antiquity that is)
5.The Italian Renaissance
The big rediscovery of the Antiquity era
6.The Exploration and Conquest of the Americas
Also include the voyages of Polo, De gama and Magellan.
7.The French Revolution
The revolution that shocked the world(Way more than the american or the britsh)
8.The Industrial Revolution
Britain, France, Germany and the USA gets the means to become superpowers.
9.The Cold War
We divided the world into 2 big blocks with 2 differents ideologies
10. The advent of Globalization
This. Internet, social media, Veeky Forums. We are now living in small world afterall.

How's mine?

Bretty clever.

Indo european migrations
Ur established
Establishment of greek democracies
Jesus spreads his works
Rome falls
Mohammed spreads his works
Mongol Invasions
New World Rediscovered
French Revolution
Industrial Revolution

Europeans have certainly been good at spreading their shit globally.

Why do people assume humans weren't present across the entire planet all at the same time?

meh

1. Agriculture
2. Writing
3. Punic wars/rise of Rome
4. Alexander's conquest of Persia.
5. Edict of Milan/rise of Christianity
6. Discovery of the new world
7. Industrial revolution
8. French revolution
9. Assassination of Franz Ferdinand/Austrians being retarded and destroying Europe twice.
10. American revolution.