Why did Britain want to keep any of Ireland? They don't seem that relevant to us, nor do they seem that great...

Why did Britain want to keep any of Ireland? They don't seem that relevant to us, nor do they seem that great. Why didn't we just leave completely?

Other urls found in this thread:

bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-26855040
twitter.com/AnonBabble

>They don't seem that relevant to us

why are you making a thread about us then, faggot?

United Kingdom. The King's domains must stay united?

Do you know how autistic kids flip out when you try to take their toy they don't actually care about?

Because I'm interested in the History.

Is that really all? I thought maybe belfast would have been tactically relevant or something for industry?

I like Irish people. Well, I don't like the ones in the North. They're kind of weird.

Britain held on to Northern Ireland for its lucrative shipbuilding and linen industries while the rest of Ireland was mostly agricultural.

These industries collapsed shortly after partition so it's been a money sink ever since.

They should've never killed mountbatton... they'd have been independent by now had the IRA not done that

They occupied initially because of our position relative to them is strategically valuable to possible attackers (such as Spain). Imo they went about it the wrong way, invasion and mistreatment has forever turned the irish people against them, there's a complete lack of trust. Good diplomatic relations could've seen us become their most loyal allies, thus negating the risk of a foreign invasion being launched from Ireland.
They held onto Northern Ireland because of the majority of the population being Protestant Scots loyal to the Crown (Irish Catholics are set to be the majority very soon). Also

Oh, so I guess the shipbuilding and the fact that a majority of peopl ethere were protestant "scots"?

Interesting.
Also
>irish catholics set to be majority very soon
Really? Is NI leaving the UK an option?

>is NI leaving the UK an option
It's always an option (Good Friday Agreement guaranteed referendums), but I honestly can't see it happening anytime soon, the UK benefits our economy, the south is simply too poor to support us and the only thing I can imagine that would convince us to give up the NHS would be violent British aggression.
United Ireland is inevitable imo but it simply won't happen right now, Britain doesn't interfere with us much anymore, and provides a larger job market and free healthcare so there's not much motivation to leave.

Ulstermen are not "Irish".

If you're referring to Protestants then yes, if you're referring to everyone that lives in Ulster or NI then you're wrong
7/10, made me reply

Because MUH EMPIRE

Isn't English nationalism on the rise?
The English might Dissolve the Union by themselfs

Britain held on to NI because the locals didn't want to ruled by the catholic south.

Ulster > the rest of Ireland

Ulster is shit, mate.
Well, Unionists are.

>STILL assblasted over the non-issue of the flag
>STILL assblasted at the mere IDEA of questioning the 11th or 12th celebrations
>Celebrate the 11th and 12th without knowing a scrap of history about them other than "we won :^)"
>Useless government which is constantly put in power by unionists voting out of fear that all nationalist parties are going to start purging them if they get into power
>fucking FLAGS

I can't speak for the English since I've never even visited the country and I've only met 3 Englishmen my entire life, but I doubt they would

>people who identify as British and are loyal to Britain aren't Irish
No way!

>Doesn't like somebody
>Reason: "They're kind of weird."
In-fucking-credible

what? did you mean to reply to me? I never implied that they're Irish, I just said that they're fucking morons.

By kind of weird, I essentially meant I'm no IRA memer but christ, they're tumblr-tier when it comes to getting triggered.

The whole of Ireland was planned for Home Rule, but Ulster Protestants threatened uprising if they were not kept as an integral part of the UK (see Carson and the Ulster Covenant).

Plenty of Brit politicians would have preferred to give up Northern Ireland, but there's always been a strong Unionist element (especially in the Conservative Party) that has resisted it. This has mainly been a matter of principle, solidarity with Ulster loyalists, and to save face in terms of Britain's military. Opinion polls have consistently shown that most mainland Brits would support a united Ireland.

Interestingly, Churchill offered the north to De Valera in return for bringing Ireland into the Allied side in WW2.

but if britain don't want the north, what have the unionists got to uprise for? independence? I don't see the point in that.

>the south is simply too poor to support us

lel, "the south" is actually the richest country in the EU now by gdp per capita, you fucking dole scroungers.

>implying

Did you read somewhere that "ireland has the fastest growing economy in europe"? That's being spread around.

It's not about gdp per capita or growth when it comes to this, it's whether the economy IS big enough and stable enough to incorporate 6 extra counties into it all at once.

Lmao Ireland is a tax haven that's why it has such a high gdp per capita but it all winds up in apple shareholders pockets not your run of the mill Irishman. Cayman islands with bad weather

Most mainland Brits can go fuck themselves. Especially the English.

this has to be internet memery

The UK economy is heading for destruction anyway so you might as well join a country with a future

The mindset that I have is that NI will absolutely join ROI in our lifetime.
If Scotland leaves, it will fast-forward such a result.

I don't, however, think the UK is doomed. It'll just be far less relevant.

>mainland

bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-26855040

Is there a genetic component to how unintelligent Ulster Protestants are or is it just a societal thing?

I can answer this, easily.

>Muh irish/catholic schools are stricter
>Irish parents are also stricter
>Prods grow up feeling very entitled, being told that "themmuns" are the bad guys
>By the time they're well into school, taigs are able to hunker down and study if they want to while prod culture revolves entirely around shitting on irish people and waiting for the 12th
>All of a sudden they're all grown up, working class, stupid and wondering why Irish Nationalism has become so popular

WE NEED MO MONEY FO DEM PROGRAMS

English nationalism is mostly about romanticising the Empire and maintaining the Union mostly

Englishman here

Unionists are dumb

t. paddy from dublin