I met a guy on a street corner during my lunch break a few days ago and he told me his business is doing really well...

I met a guy on a street corner during my lunch break a few days ago and he told me his business is doing really well and he's looking new partners. Today we met up in a hotel lobby, and after chatting a while he gave me a copy of Kiyosaki's book "The Business of the 21st Century," and told me to have it read by the time we meet again next Sunday. I googled the book and it's about Multi-level/Network marketing aka pyramid schemes, so I think I might be getting scammed. Should I see this thing out, or tell this guy to fuck off?

Other urls found in this thread:

usana.com/media/File/Prospecting page/Tools/US/USANABusiness/US-AveIncome.pdf
youtube.com/watch?v=iwxOjQ5X4g0
aworkathomebusinesses.com/is-your-job-nothing-more-than-a-big-pyramid-scheme/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

working from experience with MLM schemes, they're an absolute scam for nearly anyone who isn't in the first layer or so of recruitment.

they'll tell you you're selling something, travel club memberships, telecommunication/internet plans, weight loss ect. but you're really working in recruitment. more often than not MLM schemes will have a membership fee for "sales representatives/recruiters".

don't get involved, you wouldn't make minimum wage selling whatever bullshit product they're peddling and more often than not the recruitment aspect of it won't make you any money either. the only people who make money in these sorts of schemes are the ones who found it and buy into it at the very start.

mlm are bullshit. run and don't look back.

> more often than not MLM schemes will have a membership fee for "sales representatives/recruiters".

This. What that guy isn't telling you is that you will become a captive customer beholden to the organization once you pay your membership. The organization will encourage you to use your own money to buy product from yourself, thereby, giving money to your upstream (your recruiter, and his recruiter, and his recruiter, etc.

If you really want to make money off a MLM scheme. I recommend you buy a bunch of "how-to-sell" sales books, inspirational books, tapes, CDs, whatever, and sell those at a MLM convention. That's where the money's at.

usana.com/media/File/Prospecting page/Tools/US/USANABusiness/US-AveIncome.pdf

The link above is the income disclosure statement for a well-known MLM company. I urge you to research other businesses who run similar schemes, and never contact that guy ever again.

Since he decided he want to fuck you in the asshole, why not make him say illegal stuff by email and then sue his ass and settle the case for profit?

Lol. Yeah do this user.

since when mlm is illegal?
it's a fucking scam but a legal one.

but first make him buy you lunch or something
for wasting your time

Was thinking about something like this video. It is legal but im quite sure that there are specific procedures that they have to follow. youtube.com/watch?v=iwxOjQ5X4g0

Its MLM dude, learn some marketing and walk, or if you know a little marketing just walk
don't hand them any cash.

>I'm looking for new business partners
The street corner is the best place to find them

>here have a book I bought for $.50 used on alibris
now you feel you need to reciprocate.

You're not getting scammed so much as being sold a job, that pays less than minimum wage.

OP here.

Yeah I was already 99% I was getting scammed. The only reason I gave the guy any time in the first place was because I'm so fucking sick of my job that I willing to hear out just about anybody at this point.

I think I'll no show the next meetup on Sunday and text him he's a jackass.

You probably got asked if you were outcome focused, you said yes, and that's why they gave you the book.

Why do you lie and waste people's time OP? You clearly care too much about the process.

Alternatively, sell books that explain why MLMs are scams.

If his business is doing so well, then why is he recruiting "partner" level positions to random people he meets on the street? This should be red flag number one followed by the obvious MLM book red flag number two. I would bail

Op, I heard a Nigerian prince is still looking for partner for oil drilling.

Do what the another user said and get him to buy you lunch for the next meeting. Push for a swanky joint and a few drinks on top.

I know two people to have been involved with this
Both mexicans
I worked at a fast food restaurant with them when I was 17

oh god today i posted something on facebook mocking pyramid schemes and the first fucking thing that happened is a guy tried to set me up in one. and he was very persistent. i tried to jot be tude by telling him that i was busy and he just kept asking me when. this has happened 10+ times this year. i fucking hate how they feel like executives just because they go to conferences about cliché pseudomotivational shit. god dammit i really thank god for these pyramid schemes, for they are society's way of setting aside those unworthy of wealth

When a business is doing well, you don't need "Partners", you need employees.

This. Another thing about pyramid schemes is that they collect capital from people in exchange for a job in "sales"

If this was a real company it would get capital from a bank and actual salespeople

Good, but do you go with the Learn From Experience victim perspective or the Repentant Scammer angle?

Can't get blood from a stone. All these fuckers are nigger rich at best, and only continue on out of habit. A lawsuit would be a waste of time because
1. He will have 0 assets
2. Independent consignee agreements ensure that liability does not move up the chain.
3. Even if a Kung-fu lawyer can prove a conspiracy, the money up the chain is
A) all dried up anyway because even those at the top are nigger rich
B) any judgement ( never mind the hastle of collecting on that verdict) will be demolished by said Kung-fu lawyers fees.

TL;DR I you ever see him again call him out on the scam and watch him either nervously laugh it off to kid himself, or get angry and claim that you are not the right person for this "opportunity" anyways

The top could be dirty rich.

>Veeky Forums seriously thinks MLM/Network marketing is a scam

That's why all of you are broke.

are you retarded or a scammer?

Enjoy being broke retard.
MLM is the easiest shit in the world yet most people are too stupid to pull it off because of
>muh scam
>muh pyramid scheme
>muh i dont wanna invest
>muh dont realize my job is a pyramid scheme.

nice b8 m8 ,,, kill yourself

>muh dont realize my job is a pyramid scheme.
kek, now this you must explain muh nigga?
with a job you actually get paid with a pyramid scheme you pay those above you. how is this any similar?

Here you go faggot, basically what I would have said.

aworkathomebusinesses.com/is-your-job-nothing-more-than-a-big-pyramid-scheme/

He is talking about a pyramid scheme OP. The question is, how well is it doing right now? You need to seek out his contacts, and work around this guy in secret to see just how big the beast is. You need to set up a way of surveying how much money is coming into the system. If you have friends that you can trust that are willing to help in your con, you can pull the rug out from under these guys. Most of these schemes will often involve a way for you to sneak out, and a bunch of goofs with only basic understanding of a con.

It is a good place to find easy marks, but the money is not in the scheme itself.

but that's all wrong...

a corporation especially a project firm like mine is nothing more than people cooperating with each other to achieve goals they couldn't alone.
the owners provide the capital for which they receive interest. the leaders are also compensated for basically not having a life and always on the call and having to kiss up to the clients 24/7.

but the most important difference between a good corporation and a pyramid scheme is a good corp gets money from the clients and distributes it among it's employees and shareholders while providing real value to the client. a pyramid scheme is just taking money from the lower ranks and giving it to the upper ranks.

you could say in a pyramid or mlm the money trickles up and in a corp the money trickles down. the difference for those on the bottom is enormous.

Here's your goal: give the guy his book back, and cut all ties with him.
Why would you even discuss or accept business offers from a street stranger? This guy doesn't give a damn about you; why would this guy do something nice or positive for you when he doesn't even know who you are? How does he know you're the right fit for his "business?" Does he even know what skills you have? Why is he giving you a book to read ON "BUSINESS (not even industry specific)" assuming that you would be qualified or the right fit as his partner? This is an outright MLM scam.
I learned my lesson well, and I had a similar experience (except I was told that there was going to be a business meetup on how to make money without a job). They gave me the same book as well. This is what I did to cut all ties from them—
I let them ramble on about the MLM business. I nodded my head, agreed with them. I said I read the book (I actually did), and said I agree with the stuff from the book (I didn't, of course). They asked me what I liked about the book, what new things I learned from the book, things I already knew, etc. I answered correctly, and so on forth.
After the MLM rambling, they asked if you want to start your IBO (Independent Business Owner, aka membership in reality). They asked for a fee of $500 (wtf). I said that I couldn't. They asked why. I said cause I don't have $500 (I lied). They asked what are my expenses, work pay, hours, etc. (I lied about those too). I said I only had like $200 in my bank account. They simply couldn't argue against it. They had to let me go. I gave them their book back and I left. Months later, I received a couple of texts from them, but I never respond. Cut all ties with them.

You can either do with I did, or just simply meet up with him, tell him you're not interested, give him the book back, and leave, and don't let them persuade you, cause they definitely will (it's their duty to, it's in their script and it's in their philosophy that if someone says ultimately says no them, then they are the losers of the deal). You're not obligated to stay and make things smooth.

You can either do *WHAT I did

>how big the beast is
>coming into the system
>con
>pull the rug
>marks
cop jargon kek sup officer?

Tell this guy to fuck off. He's just a random guy you met off the street.

Use your head user, this scam has been around for decades.

seems like you put a lot of effort into putting them down nicely instead of telling them to go fuck themselves.

my mom used to do mlm but we ere very fortunate only lost the value of a flat screen tv and a better microwave. we all told her it's bullshit but she insisted she will give it a try. she had a lot of contacts almost friends people she thought can rely on to build her business. the end result was from the several hundred people she knew nobody was talking to her or answering her calls anymore.

the loss of that social capital is staggering but we didn't minded because she was not doing anything profitable with it anyways.

a lesson well learned i guess.

Yeah, you're right. It was quite a project, but it was an interesting experience nonetheless. The main reason why I did it my way because I didn't want them to start persuading me and calling my phone or whatever to urge me to reconsider. I know they don't take no for an answer, based on my experience and what I have heard on the internet at the time. When they asked financial questions, I basically said I work at a minimum wage job and had high bills to pay (implying that I live paycheck-to-paycheck), and it was believable because the cost of living is high here in NYC.

I discussed the experience with my mom around while it was happening (btw, they told me not to discuss the meetings with my family or friends cause they said my social circle would be non-believers and discourage me). My mom said she actually tried MLM herself. She said used to believe in MLM for some time, but now she strongly thinks it's BS. I believe she lost a couple thousand dollars from it.

>The main reason why I did it my way because I didn't want them to start persuading me and calling my phone or whatever to urge me to reconsider.
lol i have a special colleague well kind of an underling (at least he sometimes pretends to do as i instruct him) for these kind of people i give them his number or redirect my phone to his. the guy lives to troll people. he has this mission in life to upset and annoy as many man and woman as humanly possible. he loves these telemarketer types. it's the highlight of his day when they call. we had to pull him from customer support because he can't help himself even with clients.

LOL, that sounds great. Should probably make his own YouTube channel.