Remember that one time when longbowmen rekt everyone? Oh wait that's every time they were deployed

Remember that one time when longbowmen rekt everyone? Oh wait that's every time they were deployed.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=BEV4SpiqY7o
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Crécy
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Joan of Arc, i don't need to say more

Then how come England lost the 100 years war?

Battle of Patay.

It was an inside job.

jews

bu-but it needs training.

do you even ride?

In Patay 500 French knights killed 2500 longbowmen.

youtube.com/watch?v=BEV4SpiqY7o

As an outsider, I don't understand the English obsession with the Hundred Years War, and some of the bullshit that permeates around the entier conflict.

>The longbow is the best weapon to have ever existed, could easily pierce through French steel like a hot knife through butter!
>Agincourt and Crecy were the most important battles of the war
>Somehow we lost all territories in France and were sent spiraling into a civil war that would (as a portion of the total population) kill more Englishmen than any other war
>But we somehow won because half of the French population died... mostly because of the plague which killed a third of Europe's total population and was most heavily affecting the Mediterranean countries

The last time I saw a country so obsessed with a war they decisively lost it was the Belgians (and even then mostly the Flemish) and the Franco-Flemish war.

>The last time I saw a country so obsessed with a war they decisively lost it was the Belgians (and even then mostly the Flemish) and the Franco-Flemish war.
But we're the only part of medieval France that managed to break free

It's because the English (poor country with a low population then) initially won and would have if the king didn't die.

>we were the underdogs!

The english always use this rhetoric, even during the two world wars, despite the empire.
And in the 100 years war France was under 99 kinds of shit and issues, but those are always ignored, just like the plague, just like anything that might suggest the british are not a brave little guy standing against the huge french/german juggernaut and bravely seeing them off.

English were the underdogs
You're forgetting the English were also effected by the plague and the French tried to invade first but were btfo. The Scottish also invaded northern England at the same time but were defeated

French soldier: well equipped and trained
English soldier: some peasant

>French soldier: well equipped and trained
>English soldier: some peasant

But this is wrong. If you look at the trained, actual ""professional"" soldiers, the two armies had a comparable amount in almost all battles.

And the plague affected France much more than it did England.

Nah, the French had the most powerful army during that time.

Also the English had to worry about Welsh rebellions, peasant revolts and usurpers

This tbqh, it seems the English keeps going on about muh longbermens and the same three battles over and over and over again. It is, honestly, ridiculous.

I haven't the time as I need to leave, so I'll just leave this proposition.

We can agree that this was was initiated by the english, coming into France.
We can agree that the english leadership was competent.
We can agree that the english weren't forced to war, they could've resolved the issue in other ways, or use the channel and navy to gain home advantage if war was inevitable.

If the french army was stronger, why did the english attack? A competent leader went away from home to invade and conquer a stronger enemy? Seems stupid.
So at least we know that the english king and english court and all people was in charge of the english armies thought the english force was stronger, and not the underdog.
Judging by the reactions and reaction timings of the french, we can assume they also thought the english at least equal, if not stronger.

>implying

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Crécy

The French army was a lot bigger than the English, when Edward 1 invaded he only had 12,000 men. The English invaded first because after the failed french invasion the English dominated the channel. Also the English king believed he was the rightful king of France because of his mother which started the war.

speaking of Crecy
>will dump if anyone is interested

So he was weaker, and knew he was weaker, but invaded because... ???
Its almost as if he was stronger, and knew he was stronger. Either that, or incompetent.

Is this the comic which had this ''we covered our swords with shit'' panel? How historically accurate is this? I mean the comic not shit smearing.

The comic is AMERIKA FUCK YARR tier, and should be taken as over the top stylized boasting, not history lesson.

much interest over here man. Dump That Shit!

Also let's not forget
>English nobles were all French

>Also the English had to worry about Welsh rebellions, peasant revolts and usurpers
Because similar things didn't apply to France?

indeed it is
There is a bit of "we're the fookin' anglos!" true but it's not a terrible intro if you've never heard anything about Crecy before.

will do

>Caen BTFO'd

>We're not a very pleasant people

no kidding

Could people really be as buff as the bearded guy back then? He looks like a power lifter.

I've got a minor errand to run so gonna pause dumping for a bit.

>when I return: Genoese crossbowmen!

WELSH BOW A SHIT
SHIIIIIIIIIIIT

It's the Englishman's version of the katana.

>GLORIOUS ENGLISH YEW
>TRAINED FOR 1000 GENERATIONS
>PIERCES AN ENTIRE COLUMN OF ARMORED KNIGHTS
>SMELLY FROGGU GO HOME

>a lot of us don't have mail
>except all the mail wearing archers from the earlier panels

lolololol! Sheep shaggers

yeeees please keep posting

this shit is for the anglosphere like bad samurai manga is for weebs, geez

bows in rain are useless

Longbows can be treated with oil to make them water resistant.

true but I don't care. it's fun to read

Yeah, that's right, Longbows are incredible in range battles.
Too bad that range battles were pretty rare, and that most of the HYW were siege battles where the crossbow is superior.
Too bad there were naval battles where the crossbow is also superior.
Too bad that when your longbowmen are not carefully deployed and depend on the enemy's mistake, they'll get crushed (See : Battles of Patay, Formigny, or Castillon).

Why english and welsh hate each other and what was the reason behind the war between them? William seems butthurt as fuck about that welshman.

Because he thought it was his divine right to own France I guess, they took that shit very seriously back then. Also he did use "chevauchee" tactics a lot

The longbow is only slightly less overrated than the katana. All its major victories could be summed up with

-can't deploy crossbows due to rain
-charge through mud
-horses dead, get exhausted in said mud
-get trampled, die of Heatstroke or get speared by English men at arms

The recurve bow could potentially fly further and be shot from horse back and actually ended civilizations in the hands of steppe nomads.

t. Mongol

go back to fucking horses you dumb chink horsefucker

He's right though you ugly arrogant anglo island nigger

I never thought Safeway could be that packed on Friday morning of all times...

Anyway, on with the show

>unironically dumping a shit comic

>rip Genoese mercenaries

>"it ain't me, it ain't me, I ain't no nobleman's son, son" plays in the background

and that's all folks!

[spoiler]Ready your keyboards for arguments and shitposting about this last panel for the rest of the thread.[/spoiler]

People didn't sit around on their asses all day eating refined sugary snacks. Diet was high in whole grains (bread, gruel, beer), some veggies, and relatively lean meats.

>le arrows go straight through an armored man meme

People didn't sit in gyms drinking whey protein and lifting metal weights either.
Look up the early circus "strongmen". This is as big as you could hope to be, and considering medieval medicine and training/sports, thats pushing it much.

To be fair, "arrow go straight through an armored man" only happens once on that whole page and even then it's through his neck which is possible give close and a bodkin arrow.

thanks for dumping user

Were they really so close to each other? I expected longbowmen to be at way bigger distance.

Longbows can't pierce armor unless the enemy is within stone throw range.

How many shots could a lonbgowman fire in a minute?

my pleasure.

I am seeing some images of men covered from head to toe in chainmail but no helmet. How common was this attire? And why no helmet?

The "no helmet" kit was not common at all. Everyone had helmet. If you only had money for one piece of armor, it was a helmet. I'd argue you are better off bringing a wood chopping axe and a helmet than you are spending for a sword.
Or at least put some rags and straw on your head. You need SOMETHING. Head wounds are the one thing you won't be surviving without protection.

Its just, even in the opening part of the comic, and yes I know its not 100% historical or even half, but you have a helmet and you're one of the crossbowmen. You may not get hit in the head but an arrow through the leg, arm or gut is going to leave you crippled anyway no?

I cant see anyone without a helmet but in armour in combat

I was referring to the main characters' friend who was alongside him at the start and in the odd panel. He had no helmet on but looked to be covered in a full suit of chainmail.

Arrow in the leg sure beats arrow in the head.
And crossbowmen had a shield to hide behind. At most their head is poking to have a look before showing to shoot.
Every single soldier, EVERY SOLDIER, at all points in human history, in all organized warfare, had a helmet. We still have helmets, after abandoning most armor. Police even has helmets. Fucking football players have helmets.

Aztecs had no helmets and neither did Egyptians.

Both had helmets actually.

>the issue in other ways, or use the channel and navy to gain home advantage if war was inevitable.
The whole thing is completely fucking inaccurate.