So Civilization VI's roster got leaked. Veeky Forums, what are your thoughts on the character list?

So Civilization VI's roster got leaked. Veeky Forums, what are your thoughts on the character list?

American - Teddy Roosevelt
Arabian - Saladin
Aztec - Montezuma
Brazilian - Pedro II
Celtic - Grace O'Malley
Chinese - Qin Shi Huang
Danish - Ragnar Lothbrok
Egyptian - Cleopatra
English - Victoria
French - Napoleon
German - Frederick the Great
Gran Colombian - Simon Bolivar
Greek - Alexander
Incan - Huayna Capar
Indian - Gandhi
Japanese - Mojo Tokimure
Malinese - Mansa Musa (Musa I of Mali)
Mongol - Genghis Khan
Ottoman - Suleiman
Persian - Cyrus
Polish - Mieszko I
Roman - Julius Caesar
Russian - Catherine
Sioux - Sitting Bull
Spanish - Isabelle I
Venetian - Enrico Dandolo
Zulu - Shaka

Teddy may not have been the best US president, but he was one of the most imperial ones.

Also, they need to eliminate all of the Native Americans to make room for multiple different Greek civs.

>Persian - Cyrus
>there will never ever be a Sassanid or Safavid civ

Needs more Medieval leaders. Why not William the Conqueror for the French and Charlemagne for the Germans and Henry V for the English and Alexander Nevsky for the Russians?

>Gran Columbian civilization
my only real complaint

So they cut Byzantines?

Well, better than having Theodora i guess.

Saladin is an interesting choice. What is "Arabian" supposed to represent in Civ? The Caliphate? Wasn't Saladin the Sultan of Egypt?

I'm actually pretty satisfied with it, generally, with the notable exception of Cleopatra (no fucking reason to have her, not even gender quotas when you have Hatshepshut).

I'm a bit dissapointed with the celtic leader because I don't fucking know who he is. I would've prefered Brennus or Vercingetorix. A literal who is still better than Boudica I guess.

>English - Victoria
No Margaret Thatcher?
>German - Frederick the Great
No Angela Merkel?
>Indian - Gandhi
No Indira Gandhi?

0/10

You have shit taste.

Also Grace O'Malley? Why?

I think he's joking about forced female characters

I have the same feeling but at this point I've gived up. Persia will always be the Achaemenid Empire in the western mind. The worst is that even with multiple leaders, it would be Darius and Cyrus.

At least they deserve the place for reasons apart from being popular.

I really wish we could at least get a savaran or a qizilbash as the unique unit and not immortals.

>I'm a bit dissapointed with the celtic leader because I don't fucking know who he is.

She* and there is your answer also. Also she was born in the 16th century not exactly the highpoint of Celtic civilization.

Really happy Enrico is returning. He's my favorite civ to play as. He's essentially just Israel.

Probably my favorite change is Roosevelt. I would have liked to have multiple leaders per civ, but if you're not going to do that, I'd at least like it if every game had a new leader. Washington may be a staple of the civ series, but there's been over 40 presidents, and many of those presidents are just as a famous and important as Roosevelt.

Don't like how so many other civs have the same boring old leaders. Suleiman in the Ottoman Empire, Cleopatra in Egypt, Napoleon in France, Julius Caesar in Rome, and Catherine in Russia. These five could really be replaced, I've seen them too much. Mehmet the Conqueror, King Tut, Louis XIV, Marcus Aurelius, and Stalin or Nicholas II would have all been way more interesting choices and would have really spiced up this bland roster.

Although Boudicca was a neat choice, I'm kind of glad she is getting removed. She really didn't do much and she lost big time. They replaced her with Grace O'Malley, who -- while much more interesting -- is still clearly there to decrease the gender gap and make the roster more diverse. I wouldn't go with the celts, and would make the gauls led by vercingetorix.

As always they try to shoehorn in as many women and non-Europeans as possible, which I suppose makes sense from a marketing perspective since you'd be surprised how many lefties and chicks play civ these days. At least they have Qin Shi Huang instead of Wu Zetian now. Also this

>Stalin
Yeah, and Germany should use Hitler.

most people generally don't know medieval figures, at least not in the same way they know ancient and more modern figures

>3 non-civilizations
>no Byzantium, no Southeast Asia, no Mesopotamia

This rustles my autism.

A lot of this is just going back to their roots. You honestly can't expect other than Montezuma or Gandhi. Teddy and Victoria aren't such bad choices though. Hojo clan is an interesting choice for Japan.

So? If it causes them to look into a great and influential leader, that's a plus.

Funny you should say that. I showed my sister civ v one day and while she's not into history at all, she recognized Boudicca and decided to buy civ v herself so that she could play as her.

I get that Boudicca is kind of a woman warrior but I don't see much reason to idolize her. There's been far better women warriors.

Why? It could have another name but Bolivar deserves to be in the game, it was about time actually. (It's obvious they elected the leader first and the "civilization" after that like they did for the HRE in civ4).

Also it's always nice to have more modern leaders and more varied nations, since it's clear that "civilization" just means country in this game most of the time.

How much did it last? Like 20. Even Argentina was a better choice

Sure, but most people have never heard of Tomyris

>studied
Teddy
Cleopatra
Victoria
Napoleon
Frederick
Simon Bolivar
Alexander
Gandhi
Genghis Khan
Suleiman
Cyrus
Julius Caesar
Isabelle I

>recognized
Saladin
Montezuma
Pedro II
Catherine
Sitting Bull
Enrico
Shaka

>don't know
Grace
Qin Shi Huang
Ragnar
Huayna
Mojo Tokimure
Masna Musa
Mieszko

>shoehorn in as many women and non-Europeans as possible
>non-Europeans
There are 14 European, 4 Middle-Eastern, 3 East Asian, 3 Native American, 2 African, and one Indian

The last game had fucking Austria and Germany as separate civilizations.

>3
I only see one in the Sioux, in which case I agree. Considering that some of the first tecchs you discover within a few turns is the wheel and animal husbandry, it's immersion breaking when playing as a non Central or South American Civ.

>Russia - Catherine
I hope so.

>tfw no lewd catherine doujinshi

>William the Conqueror
>french

Good one

>The last game had fucking Austria and Germany as separate civilizations
And this is wrong how?

Yeah but you can't have Bolivar with Argentina. They should have just called it hispanic-american or something, they have celts instead of Ireland and arabs instead of Syria/Egypt after all.

There is a depressing lack of historical figures rule 34.

DLC senpai

>still no italy

ITS NOT FAIR. ITALY IS JUST AS WHITE AS ALL THE OTHER EUROPEAN COUNTRIES. THEY DESERVE THEIR OWN CIV ALREADY.

Also Mongols. The Khanates should be what happens when barbarians take a city.

I checked it and, well, okay, maybe even Boudica was a better option. I though it would be some important medieval monarch from any of the celtic nations, since I know little about that period and place.

It has Julius Caesar. You know, Italy, back when it actually mattered.

>I only see one in the Sioux
Celts and Zulus. To be fair there were civilized Celtic-speakers, but the only time that 'Celtic' actually describes a real culture is before Romanization/Christianization when they were just a bunch of tribes and chiefdoms. Aside from her language Grace O'Malley was more Norman than Celtic. Pic related, one of her Norman-style castles.

>Queen Victoria was a man

They completly fucked up Isabelle I in Civ V so I'm hoping they get it straight this time.
IMHO they should make Felipe II but alright I guess

More French than Napoleon.

But Izzy in Civ V was 100% waifu material. Firaxis did nothing wrong.

It will be DLC, although I agree having at least a southeast asian civilization in the first rooster would've been better. I would have reserved the zulus for DLC since there's already a black african civilization that deserves it more and included Burma or Thailand.

Austria was in an expansion in the last game, not one of the initial civs. Outside of arguments for game flavor or mass appeal, it's difficult for me to justify Zulu or Mali or Aztecs or Sioux as societies that were important or influential in history when they left out the Byzantines, Assyrians, Italians, Sumerians, etc. So indeed I think they shoehorned in these civilizations for "cultural balance" reasons or w/e you want to call it.

>American - Teddy Roosevelt
Meh,at least an intereisting choice
>Arabian - Saladin
I dont get,but they have used this choice before
>Aztec - Montezuma
A classic
>Brazilian - Pedro II
Just to please the hue market
>Celtic - Grace O'Malley
No clue
>Chinese - Qin Shi Huang
Fine by me
>Danish - Ragnar Lothbrok
Meh,I dont care
>Egyptian - Cleopatra
A meme,but they needed more strong independent womyn,to not be stormed by nu males and feminists
>English - Victoria
She didnt do much,but it represents the peak of england so its fine,I guess
>French - Napoleon
A classic.I would like Louis XIV better
>German - Frederick the Great
Polish butthurt over 1000
>Gran Colombian - Simon Bolivar
Meme choice for a meme civ.Even Cuba would be a more interesting civ
>Greek - Alexander
A classic
>Incan - Huayna Capar
Fine
>Indian - Gandhi
A meme that became a classic
>Japanese - Mojo Tokimure
Dont know about him
>Malinese - Mansa Musa (Musa I of Mali)
They had to include some negros,to not be racist
>Mongol - Genghis Khan
Fine
>Ottoman - Suleiman
Meh,there are better choices
>Persian - Cyrus
There are better choices
>Polish - Mieszko I
Dont know about it
>Roman - Julius Caesar
Fine.I would like Augustus or Trajan tho
>Russian - Catherine
A meme
>Sioux - Sitting Bull
No fucking clue
>Spanish - Isabelle I
One of the few woman that are not meme choices
>Venetian - Enrico Dandolo
I liked it on Civ 5.It is fine I guess
>Zulu - Shaka
Another negro that is shoved for diversity quotas

They're the same people under different monarchies. My point is it's retarded to complain about shoehorning non-Europeans in a game that adds the same Europeans twice but would never add more than one Persian or Indian civilization.

At the very least, Zululand was a real, definitive kingdom and had a real culture. Not to mention they had real metalworking and organized armies and tactics.

As for the Celts, its more of a case of taking liberties. For the same reason you can't have all the different Greek city states being playable for being a clusterfuck of tiny holdings, the various cultures of the Isles are best rolled up into a single Civ.

>white americans are european

>>Zulu - Shaka
>Another negro that is shoved for diversity quotas

please kys yourself

> Ottomans are still Suleiman
Why live?

Will we ever see a Selim the Grim or Mehmet II led Ottoman Empire?

Obviously not with Bolivar,but Argentina arrived to some level of irrelevance unlike meme Colombia,that was just a chaotic mess full of civil wars

>Italians

They're already "included" with Rome and, now, Venice. Yeah I know it's not the same, but civ does that a lot. It's very unlikely we will ever get and Italian civilization for the same reason it's very unlikely we will get a Mexican one.

>Gran Colombian - Simon Bolivar
OH SHIT

>IMHO they should make Felipe II but alright I guess
Nah m8.As an Spaniard the Catholic kings were way more iconic and important.Maybe a dual leadership with Fernando wold be the greatest choice.

When will they add benjamin netanyahu and israel

Shaka was a staple of Civ before it even became a big name and had any right to having a diversity quota. Also one of the most bro leaders.

Which historical figure do you want the most, Veeky Forums? Would kill for Vlad.

>What is "Arabian" supposed to represent in Civ? The Caliphate? Wasn't Saladin the Sultan of Egypt?

Just arabs in general. It will likely be heavily inspired on civ4 arabian civilization that also had Saladin as it's leader.

By the way, although I couldn't care less, Saladin was not an ethnic arab.

>They're the same people under different monarchies
The habsburgs shaped Europe through 600 years straight,while Germany repressents mostly Prussia and modern Germany.Austria deserves more of a civ spot than the Zulus

bait or just a really stupid person

Isabelle 1 is no waifu, she is the strongest badest meanest smarter woman in power in history, not a little pretty girl with the voice of a teenager

Im not saying I dont like Isabelle, but they could alternate. I mean she was the leader in Civ V, Spain has more emblematic leaders and Felipe II was as great as they come.

>please kys yourself
Zulus are a meme to have some negros.Dont fool yourself

>it's difficult for me to justify Zulu or Mali or Aztecs or Sioux as societies that were important or influential in history when they left out the Byzantines, Assyrians, Italians, Sumerians, etc
I don't disagree with you. They do shoehorn in some crappy civilizations for diversity (they couldn't even go with good African ones like Ethiopia or Nubia?), but it's not a non-European thing. They shoehorn shitty European civs like Poland (Poland-Lithuania might have been acceptable, but not medieval Poland), Celts and Danes too, while leaving out some of the greatest Asian/American ones. I'm amazed they left out Southeast Asia entirely.

Maybe DLC will fix some of it.

kind of disappointed by how many repeated leaders there are. i hope they can justify it with distinct characterisation

>Isabelle 1 is no waifu, she is the strongest badest meanest smarter woman in power in history,
I don't understand. How does any of that mean she is not my waifu?

When will Civ implement giving the leaders tech-era-appropriate dress? And dynamic advisors that do the same, for that matter?

Neither of them deserve a spot. One is a tribe included as a meme and the other is a dynasty. Neither are civilizations.

>Mieszko
Potato here - he sort of united majority of what is Poland nowadays, converted to Christianity and BTFO'd Germans. His son(Bolesław) would be better pick imo.

>(they couldn't even go with good African ones like Ethiopia or Nubia?)

that should clue you in that it's not just for diversity's sake. it's a "what if" game fundamentally, not an awards ceremony for greatest empires

i agree though about southeast asia

They need diversity quotas,and Isabel is one of the few none meme female choices.Besides the only more emblemati leader would be Pelayo,and this is questionable

>deserve

what did he mean by this?

The problem is they look kind of silly, which is enough of an excuse for Firaxis to put effort into other things instead.

But I'm with you on immersion helping keeping me interested in the game. Just little things like calling leaders Chairman when they adopt Communism helps a lot with Immersion.

it's true that women only exist in the real world to satisfy diversity quotas

Yes, but that this "Great Colombia" thing was included to have Bolivar. Civilization clearly prefers to have a well known historical character over a relevant country. The obvious choice for Argentina would've been San Martín (he was already in Civilization IV: Colonization), but he can't compete with Bolívar even with a relatively more important nation behind him. This would not have happened if we were talking about european nations, of course, but things are how they are and I'm satisfied to have an hispanic american civilization at last and it's leader.

I really wish they actually mean it when they say they want to paint the whole globe and include Argentina in a DLC.

Now that I think about it, they probably include Venice despite its *relative* unimportance since that want a civilization geared towards building tall. Italy doesn't make sense for perks intended for tall empires.

Putted like that Im ok with this turn of events.
Gloria a Isabel la Catolica

She wasn't that in civ5, she sounded even a bit retarded t.b.h.

They could do it in a respectable manner. An Ancient-Era Teddy in Davy Crocket apparel would help keep the mood rather than having him comporting himself in a modern suit.

>No Byzantium

Why even make a civ game?

THAT'S MY WIFE YOU ARE TALKING ABOUT! REEEEEEEE!

tumblr calm down

>Most leaders are repeating memes or literally whos

I hope modding isn't going to be too difficult.

Ottomans should be Turks and Suleiman should be Alp Arslan for a change.

Alp Arslan is the true civilization leader-hero for Turks.

Austria and Austro-Hungary were pretty relevant.

i'm sorry did reddit just say something?

Not him, but I also wish we could have variety. I mean, no american is more emblematic than Washington but it's okay to have something different specially since they got rid of different leaders.

The diversity quotas is a better argument, although in this case Isabella deserves it anyways (and the fact that she's been the leader of Spain in all civs confirms it).

Imho if they're so fond of gender equality they should retake the feature in civ 2 (I think it was 2) that made all civilizations have two leaders, one male and one female.

>it's true that women only exist in the real world to satisfy diversity quotas
tumblr calm down.There is only a lack of female historical leaders,so they have to restore to memes like Cleopatra.Most of history has been pretty patriarcal

Civilization stoped meaning civilization in this game series way before Civ 5.

I would argue that Castro would have been a better leader,and would give more depht to the game.

>Castro better than Bolivar

Not even in your wet dreams, commie.

>Arab leader that's not ethnically Arabic
>Zulu's a civ that contained a few straw huts and a puddle to shit in at the peak of it's prosperity and it's in the game
>But not the Byzantine empire
>No Slavic empires
>Mehmed II not the leader of the Ottomans

Wow

>Trajan
OMG YES!!
How can you have a game about great historical leaders and civilizations without the greatest leader of the greatest civilization i.e Trajan?

It's fake dumbasses

What's worst is that, in the case of Egypt, there wasn't even a need to resort to memes. There's fucking Hatshepsut who, to make things worst, was already in civ4 as the sole leader of the civilization (in the original, the expansion included Rameses). There's no fucking reason to have a meme female character when you have non-meme female characters.

>Russia isn't slavic

>Imho if they're so fond of gender equality they should retake the feature in civ 2 (I think it was 2) that made all civilizations have two leaders, one male and one female.
For firaxis is just cheaper to create one.I mean,they have to restore to leaders like Cleopatra to fulfill the diversity quotas,imagine if they had to eliminate true emblematic leaders like Isabel.I would personally would love to have Pelayo,which would give a different bibe to the game,but it is not going to happen

Including Byzantium in civ 4 and 5 was a mistake to begin with. They're Rome. Multiple leaders please return.