Do you guys partake in the stupid tax? Just a few dollars a month and you could be a millionaire

Do you guys partake in the stupid tax? Just a few dollars a month and you could be a millionaire.

No one intelligent plays the lottery

Most of Veeky Forums probably buys tickets

I buy one (1) ticket if the jackpot gets REALLY high. Otherwise fuck that shit.

my ex partakes in the stupid tax by going to her job where she builds machines that the proles pump money into and bet against each other.

i play mega milliins here in cali. draws twice a week. i buy two for each draw. i get about 80% of my money back for getting the mega or mega + 1. so i pay $13 per month. no biggie.

>What is preference satisfaction and utility

Pick 6, Powerball, and Mega Millions are retard tier.

Pick 3 and Pick 4 are a fun bet if you want to blow a dollar.

When I was 18 I hit 5 out of 6 on a super lotto ticket and won $22k.

I play every once in a while. If I'm at the liquor store buying my 40 and I see the jackpot is over 100m I'll buy a few quick picks. It's fun to fantasize.

You play the same numbers or quick picks?

>It's fun to fantasize.

Actually this, i've come to the conclusion that you dont buy the chance, you buy the allowance to dream.

quickpick

I've never been interested in the lottery or scratch cards I just see it as a waste of money.

Here in the UK the money raised from national lottery tickets funds a ton of public projects.

I think the best way to think of it is as a small charitable donation, with the astronomical chance of winning money just a fun spin on it.

One of my favourite local theaters/art galleries was built using lottery money.

I don't actually buy lottery tickets though so fuck me.

Is it posdible to make +ev bets?
No? Then it is retard tier to participate.

>buying 40
>playing the lottery

nigger detected

Yep, 1 powerball and 1 megamillion each draw when I remember to buy them AND I actually have cash on me.

I legit go to the bank and get a $100 wrap of $1 bills to keep at home for lotto purchases. Top up as needed every few months. Also useful for vending machines

>i've come to the conclusion that you dont buy the chance, you buy the allowance to dream.
That's exactly how they market the lottery too. Hell, I think the powerball motto is "Hey, it could happen". They play it up as more of a 'buy this ticket to see what it feels like to think about having a billion dollars' rather than 'if you get this you can win the world!!!!'.

It's pretty effective, and desu senpai it is pretty comfy dreaming about what you might do with a gorillion dollars suddenly on your lap

Two things:
>someone always wins
>you won't win without playing

I see nothing wrong with spending a few dollars on it here and there. I know my odds, it's not a significant amount of money, and it's a relatively fun vice with no health effects.

Invest in something, it's like lottery but the odds are way better.

Not even once.

Scratch offs, from time to time. You can look up what prizes are left to get an idea of your chances. I only play the $1 scratch offs and always write off on taxes. I spend maybe $10 a year on them.

I play when the prize pass aroung 30 or 40 million.

Less than that, nope.

This.

I buy one ticket a week. I don't miss the money, and hey, I could always win. The people who are retarded are the ones who buy multiple tickets at once. One ticket basically has the same chance as 20 tickets.

>One ticket basically has the same chance as 20 tickets.

no it doesnt. a person who has two, jas doubled their chance. a person who has three has trippled their chance. a person who has bought every combo possible as a 100% chance.

>Writing off $10 on your tax return
>Implying you even won $10 to entitle you to a write off

20 tickets and one ticket have a close to zero chance of winning. One ticket costs $2, 20 tickets cost $40. I don't miss $2 a week, but I would miss $40 a week.

Buying no tickets gives me a 0% chance of winning, buying one ticket gives me a slightly above 0% chance of winning, and buying 20 tickets gives me a slightly above 0% chance of winning.

>I think the best way to think of it is as a small charitable donation, with the astronomical chance of winning money just a fun spin on it.
That's how I think of it. Between the GI Bill and SC's Palmetto Life Scholarship (and later other scholarships that came with keeping a 4.0,) I graduated with both my BBA and MBA with only $7500 in student loan debt. $46k in scholarships in 6 years. Now, I play $5 a week (one scratcher and two $2 numbers games.) Even if I do this for the rest of my natural life, I "won" more than I'll ever lose on it.