What are the 'feels' involved with the Treaty of Trianon? Especially Hungarians...

What are the 'feels' involved with the Treaty of Trianon? Especially Hungarians, who lost 70% of Hungary's territory and 60% of its population?

Seems quite brutal on paper, how did each nation involved react?

>croatians
Kind of pissed

>slovakians
Meh

>austrians
Kewl

>romanians
Pic related

Everything was super epic and cool.

It helped hungary become redpilled which is why it joined the axis in WW2

All the areas we absorbed into new nations that were more or less shit at administration. Slovakia and Subcarpathian Rus were joined to Czechia to appease the Czech legions leadership. Croatia and Transylvania were given to Romania and Yugoslavia because the Russian willed it. Hungary being pissed at this underwent a revolution in which for a short time Communists seized control. Within a year or so Communists are booted out and the Little Entente is formed to keep Hungary small. But to be fair most if not all of the regions that were partitioned had an ethnic group other thatn Hungarian as the majority, except for Szeklerland.

Say good friend, how may i find out more about my own ancestors from szekely land? Is there a central archive or something of the sort in hungary?

I'm fairly sure my great-grandparents fled the country during the white terror

Pretty hard to find records, back in Highschool I had a lady friend who decended from Carpathian Germans in Slovakia. We decided to look into any records we could find and in the end we found nothing. Are you Hungarian Szekler? Transylvanian Saxon?

I'm nearly 100% convinced that my great grandfather in question was from transylvania since he had a typical transylvania saxon-sounding german name and spoke both german and romanian fluently so yeah

I'm not sure if he spoke hungarian too because it was never mentioned anywhere but it's a possibility

I think i might have to ask my grandmother about this some time since it was her grandpa

>be the entire reason Hungary entered the war in the first place
>still manage to grab part of them in Trianon
how does the eternal Hapsburg get away with it?

Interesting, you might find some stuff, I would contact the parishes around the area your great grandpa may have lived, specifically ones that are of his denomination.

The typical sentiment is that territorial loss was unavoidable but was way too excessive. Thats what I gather, theres of course a loud minority of "bring all back" you can likely bump into online too, but among more level headed people you will find first opinion.

Thing is in 2/3 of all directions I can leave this country I will arrive in a village or town where the majority is Hungarian, and can travel 30-50 more km until more people will make more strange faces than understand me. And this was even more truer back in the 1910s. You can twist around papers, definitions and words as much you want*, this an an undeniable reality that brings light on how much the whole ethnic principle was only applied to non-Hungarians and was amply appended by economic and strategic concerns favouring the other parties.

As for a better solution most people will probably mention the WW2 borders following the Vienna Awards and Yugoslavian war.

These borders are better but were too excessive imho, since they sacrificed ethnic peace on the altar of trying to bring back every single Hungarian into the country. A more modest decision could have made them permanent (as obviously the WW2 borders were reversed after the war), and compared to pre-WW1 ,the total territorial and land population loss would be still large so none could complain that Hungary didn't pay the price.

*In particular I often see on chans the post 'but Hungarians were minority' in lands taken away. Yeah well you only need 51% to make a majority and these regions were arbitrary to begin with and did not conform to anythnig historical.
Then another poor black-and-white argument insists clean cut borders were impossible, so lets just not even try.

If you mean immidate and following sentiments, well that in Hungary was pretty much shock and complete refusal to accept the situation.

The interwar years in Hungary were through and through with revisionism and the slogans of bring back all, Hungary will rise again and such, in a mismash of ethnic nationalism, wannabe cultural superiority and a good deal of religious nationalism, and everything large that happened in the country had something to do with it, and ultimately oushed Hungary into Germany's side again.

During the communist era it was a taboo.

And since 1989 its kind of just in the air, the politicians either ignore it or make some occasional references to 'cultural nation' and 'carpathian home', in the last 25 years a Hungarian identity that transgresses borders was kind of built up, its kind of there and isn't.

Basically Trianon is a super troubled topic thats hard to discuss even between Hungarians, its emotional and everyone knows nothing can be done about it, its simply not resolved, not understood, not properly discussed through in society in any way, we had 25 years of absolute max-steam revisionism then 40 years of complete shutdown of the subject, then in the last 2 decades we pretty much just hoped economic development and EU will solve shit.

Yeah i was about to say, i think he was lutheran so that might help a lot once i manage to track down the actual city/county of greater hungary which he lived in back then

>caransebes
>tfw szekely + transylvanian saxon
>romania's aight
>hungary's aight
>identify as transylvanian

prepare the hate train

Thanks user! This answers everything I would have wanted to know. I do like Veeky Forums, maybe 1 out of 10 shit-posting replies has actual substance. Cheers.

They chose the wrong camp.

then we are aight

t. hungol

To be fair by that point the Hapsburgs were gone from power.

>temeswar
>hung+ro
>trns is fine
>hungary is fine
>old kingdom is fucking shit

The thing about "Trianon" is that it's really a meme.
Yeah, I know the word is overused, but it's true.

The breakup of Hungary already happened almost two years earlier. Hungary no longer controlled those lands. In almost every land lost there was a significant majority of people that simply rejected Hungarian rule and accepted the new authorities.
The new administration was already in place.
In fact, Hungary itself was almost completely occupied for some months by Romanian and Czech armies as a result of the Communist takeover of 1919.

And in many cases the original claims of the neighboring states were significantly toned down compared to the original plans. Hungary would have lost almost a third of what it had today.
Ödenburg(Sopron) could have been an Austrian city.

After 1920, the "Trianon" became the ultimate evil in the minds of Hungarian Nationalists. The name of a nice French palace now expressed all their sorrow and regret, but also all their anger and hatred.

Those were never Hungary's territories.They were the Habsburgs border.

>posting the map after magyarization

both maps are drawn according to the official censuses and before teh 1876 A:H duality, when magyarization began .

you can identify as a immigrant in Transylvania

>tfw be my greatgrandfather
>come back from italian front to your peaceful orthodox village
>it's czechoslovakia now
>your sister's hungatian boyfriend convinces you to derail czechoslovak soldier transport train
>"dude kun bela a best lmao egeszege gonna be fun"
>is not fun
>has to flee to poland

FUCKING HUNGARIANS