Why do white americans speak in such a nasally whiny high pitched tone? Prestige dialect of some sort?

Why do white americans speak in such a nasally whiny high pitched tone? Prestige dialect of some sort?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=dsXHVC8wM1M
youtu.be/UXj-Pm4osjQ
youtube.com/watch?v=EtzlKJ1dObU
twitter.com/AnonBabble

>all white americans have the same accent

>image.jpg
>Hipster nu-male
>Assuming white Americans are one culture

I you have to go back to >>/reddit/

youtube.com/watch?v=dsXHVC8wM1M

But it's true

You can just tell a given white american from a non white american
But aren't they?

I doubt a Tom from Michigan lives much differently from George from Vermont
lol

Go ask your Dad. This is like a five year olds question to his father. Are you going to ask how planes fly next?

Concentrated effort to distance ourselves from atrocious British Isles accents. I have honestly never heard a more nauseating manner of speech than UK/Australian English

My dad isn't a white american

>I doubt a Tom from Michigan lives much differently from George from Vermont
have you ever even been to America let alone met someone from America?

I am legitimately interested, there might be some kind of ethnic linguistic history to the typical nerdy nasal voice.

Oh I forgot, minority fathers leave when you're 5.

While there are common grounds there are also very substantial differences between white Americans. Compare a a person from downtown New York to a person in suburban or rural Texas. Different dialects, one is probably baptist and another Catholic or agnostic and so on. The Cajin in Lousiana ecspecially stand out in this regard.

I forgot to mention different cuisine

is this a bait thread or are minorities really this dumb?

The latter. White Americans are rather easy to trigger.

>triggered

You're funny. I'll deport you last.

No
Very

I wish there weren't so many triggered white americans in this thread

The origin of the "nerd" voice fascinates me

According to the Twi people of Ghana the gods speak in highly nasal voices

Similar notions are found in other cultures
I'm not an American

But I am white

>White Americans are rather easy to trigger.

so you meant to say "former" right? or do minorities not know what latter means.

>>/pol/

Yes, I'm high.

I'm also a white American myself, I can just handle the banter because race is a spook.

That's not how banter works. Now if you replaced American with (white) Canadian or British that would count as banter.

I was under the impression that American English was (at least initially) highly influenced by accents from Ireland and Southwestern England.

And all British are either cockneys or posh.

This thread is about history

I'm sure you can understand

I also ponder why african americans use such a throaty tone of voice, or how they developed a habitual tense which English was essentially devoid of, or why their speech patterns differ so greatly from African ESL speakers

>Americans don't have an common accent
Are you all retarded?

atlantic coast southern accents are close to pre revolution english spoken by the Brits.

closer than any accent spoken by modern Brits.

I can think of about a dozen White American accents alone.

There's also those Scandinavians living in Minnesota.

that map is horribly inaccurate.

northern maine has Acadian French influences like the Quebecois.

boston area has an irish influence. while the rest of the purple area is WASP. along with upper new york.

Not to mention the

>upper midwest = canadian

meme.

>America only has one accent
Post your rare accents, Amerilads

>Northeast Kingdom:
youtu.be/UXj-Pm4osjQ

The new generation of Americans do kinda sound the same and it's not just whites.

They say that every generation.

According to linguists, some accents are dying out (New England), others are forming and spreading (California, Great Lakes)

>race is a spook
Enjoy your stupid grandchildren

Enjoy your spooks, my property.

Stirner memes have gone too far. They're like the bane posting of Veeky Forums but without the epic movie scene to back it up.

>New England
>dying out
I fucking wish. It's going to be around for a loooong time.

We don't.

>can't even

Speaking of white Americans as if they're a monolith is fucking retarded.

Whites in the US are extremely varied from family to family, and there is even at least one distinct White ethnic group in the US- Southerners. I'm not aware of arguments for the existence any others, but there could well be.

I'm triggered. Just because minnesotans have Scandinavian ancestry and talk a but different, does not mean that they talk like Canadians. Also I live near the twin cities and it seems that the Scandinavian accent is dying out in that area. It may still exist up north.

Yes, we do. There are numerous variations of the American accent just like there are numerous variations of the British accent, but they all sound somewhat similar to the foreign ear.
Go on Youtube and look up videos of foreigners imitating American accents if you want to understand what an American sounds like to a foreigner.

Every American I have ever met in Europe never stopped talking about themselves. Has individualism gone too far in the USA?

>accent envy

This is just sad. America is not Europe. Get over it. Just because an Appalachian accent technically exists doesn't mean you're likely to ever run into someone speaking it.

What race would guess this voice actor is?
youtube.com/watch?v=EtzlKJ1dObU

Does anyone else think Brits sound like French without the nasal vowels or is it just me?

>not

I'm from North Carolina, raised by Pennsylvanians, and I occasionally have trouble understanding Texans. The way a select few of them garble their vowels makes it tough to hear

>pittsburgh has the same accent as northern alabama

yeah, this map is totally great

>one distinct white ethnic group
>southerners

Assuming you're not a /pol/smoker and just the standard variant of retard, there are literal ethnic whites - Eastern Europeans, Italians, the like. Being a WASP in a rural environment doesn't make you a different ethnicity

>claims americans have one accent
>gets #btfo
>"y-yeah well those d-don't even count..."

And white fathers pretend you don't exist

The real question is why do 13% of the population of America speak like they have never gone to school in their life.

There's nothing inherently superior about General American to AAVE.

And most/all blacks can code switch between dialects.

> Yes, im high
Why do minorities always break the law and are addicted to drugs?

Tell that to OP, because apparently he does share your opinion.

doesn't*

>what is evolution
dumb liberal

What does your meme have to do with my post?

>Welcome to Veeky Forums - History & Humanities

because it's called talking NORMALLY nog

we don't always moan and groan and talk like MUHH DICK all the time

Considering how early americans probably sounded like West Country/farmer Englishmen, where did this accent come from? Irish?

You're really too easily offended

Maybe you should stop speaking English.

White males talk through their noses because more often than not they have something in their mouths.

>all Americans speak SoCal/Newscaster English

DELET THIS

you'd be surprised.

Evolution doesn't create new ethnicities, retard

Southern and Midwest Americans don't/

Go back to >>>/tumblr/

Unless you want to talk about Civil Rights, or the American Civil War, gtfo

Ahkchuallee, if we can get some decent linguistics discourse down, it'd easily be on topic. But I have nothing to contribute other than this statement.