Greek Mythology

Let's have a Greek Mythology thread.
I give lectures occasionally on it but my next one the coordinator made a handout for everyone without consulting and got a lot of things wrong or poorly made and there's some information I want to brush up on to prepare for the confusion everyone is likely to ask me about.
Basically how to explain the difference between Oceanus and Neptune/Poseidon.
The difference between Apollo and Helios/Sol as well as Selene/Luna and Artemis/Diana.

I'm going to be explaining this to Japanese people that have never heard of any of the Greek myths including Zeus. Usually it goes well and I keep the lecture simple and just the Olympians some heroes and stories but this coordinator I guess went to wikipedia and copy pasted every name that came up which I am worried will confuse everyone when they see all these names and lesser known gods when they don't even know Zeus and Hera.

Other urls found in this thread:

theoi.com/
theoi.com/Olympios/Artemis.html
mythindex.com/greek-mythology/O/Orpheus.html
theoi.com/Nymphe/NymphePallas.html
theoi.com/Titan/TitanPallas.html
theoi.com/Gigante/Gigantes.html
theoi.com/Titan/TitanHyperion.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

So what's difference between Mars and Ares

>Gives lectures on Greek mythology.
>Can't even explain how two different deities are distinguished from each other.

Here's a recommendation for those infamiliar with it

Also, this might be helpful as well

I usually just give basic stuff saying the 12 Olympians and then answer questions like "Is Venus the same Venus from the Venus on the Shell painting?" and "Did the Greeks have a god of money to help with their debt?"

You shouldn't be answering questions, much less giving lectures, regarding a subject about which you are ignorant.

even for those who are quite familiar on it but don't know all of the stories this book is really good. I indulge myself in Greek mythology but a lot of the heroic stories have evaded me, this book taught me quite a lot when I read it.

I think you're thinking these lectures are a lot more formal than they really are. Learning about Greek mythology isn't even the purpose of the lectures, it's just the topic.

>Learning about Greek mythology isn't even the purpose of the lectures, it's just the topic.

What does that even mean?

Is there another Pallas besides Pallas Athena?

William the Breton described Pallas the goddess or god of war flying over the battlefield of Bouvine.

>What does that even mean?
Are you retarded?

> I guess went to wikipedia
Dude,

theoi.com/

I don't think he went there. That wouldn't explain why he listed Adonis is a god on the handout everyone will get.

No.

Are you?

Yes.

OP, do you know any good sources about/taht deal with Orpheus?

>Basically how to explain the difference between Oceanus and Neptune/Poseidon.
>The difference between Apollo and Helios/Sol as well as Selene/Luna and Artemis/Diana.
The simple version is: one is a member of the dodecatheon, meaning he or she is the deity of many different things, the other is the personification of the fucking sun, moon or ocean.

Also Oceanus is a Titan.

If I'm dealing with Japanese I'd tell them an ancient Greek in your place would pray to Amaterasu Omikami or to the sun itself.

The long version is that, like every goddamned thing in history, mythology is a process subject to change:

>When Apollo was regarded as identical with the sun or Helios, nothing was more natural than that his sister should be regarded as Selene or the moon, and accordingly the Greek Artemis is, at least in later times, the goddess of the moon. Buttmann and Hermann consider this idea of Artemis being the moon as the fundamental one from which all the others are derived. But, at any rate, the idea of Artemis being the goddess of the moon, must be confined to Artemis the sister of Apollo, and is not applicable to the Arcadian, Taurian, or Ephesian Artemis.
theoi.com/Olympios/Artemis.html

mythindex.com/greek-mythology/O/Orpheus.html

>Is there another Pallas besides Pallas Athena?
theoi.com/Nymphe/NymphePallas.html
theoi.com/Titan/TitanPallas.html

There's another big guy called Pallas too:
theoi.com/Gigante/Gigantes.html

"TheTitan-god of warcraft. He was the father of Victory, Force, Power and Rivalry."

So which one is this guy raving about?

Who is Hyperion then?

Athena herself.

theoi.com/Titan/TitanHyperion.html

>coolest name
>nigh irrelevant to their religion and cosmology

Why did the greeks do that?

Apparently Greek poets and mythographers did not have Veeky Forums users in mind, back in the day.

Just equate them to the kami, Japs should have no trouble understanding.

Are kami closer to the gods or the titans?

I like stories of mortals fighting/rebelling against Gods. What should I look into?

How did Apollo become the god of arts? I Illiad he isn't into such things.
My pet theory:
>Apollo/Apaliunas is a god of bad aspects of sun: heat, decomposing corpses, dung flies etc
>becomes a god of diseases
>priests try to cure diseases by singing songs to him
>he becomes associated with these songs
>also, he is depicted in healthy shape to please him and turn away ilnesses, similarly to how fairies are called "good folk"

Every single Olympian is an extremely complex figure with an expansive symbolic and allegorical meaning woven into the understanding of who they are. Apollo isn't merely a Sun God, he is the idealization of all human potential and higher ordered functions and thought processes we are capable of. The Light that Apollo is the God of is not the light of the sun, but a metaphysical light of divine inspiration, the light of artistic mastery, of music and perfect aesthetic form, the light of divine prophecy and the visions of our dreams.

There isn't a single Olympian who can simply be defined as "the God of ____". Each God is the archetype of a contemplative mystery that reveals some deeper, intuitive understanding of the human experience.

>"Did the Greeks have a god of money to help with their debt?"
Underrated.

Titans.

Fuck, can't believe I didn't get this.
>the olympian in charge of money is also in charge of theft