To what extent has the linguistic hegemony of English in the US and Canada influenced the relative stability of the...

To what extent has the linguistic hegemony of English in the US and Canada influenced the relative stability of the North American continent, its rapid rise to prominence, and its dominance over Europe?

>random massive "Swedish" in Finland

every time

that map triggers me

Why?

because it's so damn wrong

About what

in general the arbitrary borders, but more specifically
>breton is pretty much extinct
>so is sami
>frisian too wide spread, fucking nobody speaks it in germany / denmark
>sorbian area too small
>fucking clear cut kurdish majority
>turkish majority in hatay
and way more

also >implying altaic languages

Fenno-Swedes and Åland though

Yes, Hollywood in particular helps spread the English language, and pop music.

Also Polish is the majority on the both sides of the Lithuanian-Belarusian border.

They're only notable in Åland and Österbotten though. That map implies Swedish language is widely spoken in Finland proper and even fucking Nyland

>Yes, Hollywood in particular helps spread the English language, and pop music.

Emm, nope. At least not in Europe. Films are translated (dubbed or with subtitles) and no one cares about lyrics in songs. English took over Europe because people learn it to advance their employment prospects and make their kids to learn it at the very young age for the same reason.

The map is from about 200 years ago i think

I think movies and tv are a bit overrated when it comes to spreading English to the European youth.

Frankly for kids these days it's mainly youtube and video gaming. Youtube wasn't a thing when I was a kid but IT and video games were the main reason why I was good in English at the age of 10. Video games are almost never translated.

I think video games is the main reason why in my country the only traditional school subject where boys usually exceed girls is English.

>so Swiss is not a language I guess

Tell that to the Swiss and Germans.

Swiss language?

Oh that's just an inside joke in Switzerland. They just thrown german, french, italian and english words together in a mishmash sentence just to mess with foreigners.

Oh those sneaky boogers.

It's the internet. Everyone speaks English, especially on Facebook. Pop-culture in general spreads English, but the invention of the internet caused the biggest boom, even here we could discuss in French or German or Chinese but we choose to speak English because there has to be one "common tongue".

The map is inaccurate as fuck. Irish is not spoken purely in the west, their are two Irish speaking regions in Meath for example.

Also the geographical regions where Irish is spoken is much smaller.

>Everyone speaks English, especially on Facebook

While I do agree with the Internet, Facebook isn't it. Most people have only fellow countrymen as facebook friends so they usually speak their native language. Facebooks has also been translated to almost every language.

>altaic
nice meme map

>breton, sami, extinct
tens of thousands of people speak saami, and there are over 200,000 speakers of breton.

nice propaganda, obama

>To what extent has the linguistic hegemony of English in the US and Canada influenced the relative stability of the North American continent, its rapid rise to prominence, and its dominance over Europe?

It's because Mexico and Canada are tiny and weak compared with America.

Breton is overreprresented

This is missing Aragonese and a bazillion of Italian languages.

Can confirm, I learned English playing Metroid Prime and GTA (and reading walkthroughs)

He probably meant that Swiss German is different from German, but this is hilarious.

That map is very weird when it comes to the Dutch language area.