"Death is only the beginning"

What does Veeky Forums think of the idea that life is nothing but a preperation for death? Where do we find this belief historically?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=uDw1nECBqN8
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Ancient Egypt, Christianity and Islam

religion

Would you say that all/most religions are in agreement on this? Any religions that espouse an opposite view?

I'd go even further and say art too is a consequence for this. maybe even culture itself. I believe there is a certain desire of eternity in men (Ewigkeitsbedürfnis), the notion that is differs us from nature. We know that the state that is will pass like our lives and culture/religion are ways to deal with that fact.

How does one prepare the soul for death, and what constitutes its "preparedness"? What is it that it is being prepared for (what lies on the "other side"?

I think they are countless ways to deal with that fact.

This kind of thinking arises from general uneasiness and fear of death. Imagining that after you die you may carry on "living" in happiness is a big comfort for some people and somewhat helps them go through their lives without feeling stress. In the end it is just escapism, as you exchange the harsh reality for peace of mind.

A beautiful lie.

calling an almost universally reverenced belief mere "escapism" is being unfairly dismissive

>ad populum

>almost universally reverenced belief
Maybe that's because almost everyone fears death?

Call me a hedonist, but that's bullshit

The fact it's commonly held doesn't make the criticism invalid.

People's lives suck so they have to convince themselves there is something better for them after death, as well to convince them there even IS something after death.

Hinduism doesn't really expuse the "opposite" view, but Saṃsāra is an endless cyclic of death and rebirth until you find a way out. One life can help/hurt you in the next via karma.

except for you, right? cause you stronk
it's more of an appeal to authority, if anything, since the people who formulated and elaborated these ideas were people of religious or intellectual authority of some kind
it makes it unfairly dismissive

it's very easy to dismiss things out of hand without giving them a real examination

>except for you, right? cause you stronk
What? I do fear death, a lot. The difference is that I accept it as it is.
>authority
Hahaha, and who the hell has the authority to say anything about what comes after death?
>it's very easy to dismiss things out of hand without giving them a real examination
Examinate exactly what? No one who claims that life after death exists seems to provide any sort of justification or evidence supporting it.

Christianity doesn't have an afterlife belief. Christians believe in an apocalyptic end to the world at which point all the dead will return and be judged.

It's pretty dumb. Like you could prepare for an experience you know nothing of.

>doesn't have an afterlife belief.

Well you had better call the majority of churchgoing laity and tell them the bad news.

>know nothing of.

Well once you are convinced by dogma you are convinced that you know something. Knowing nothing on the other hand is something most people dread and so pretend that they know something. This is why dogma, secular or religious, is appealing. All the ingroups turn to the doubter to tell him he knows nothing, and in this way the doubter is indoctrinated into the school of doubt, whose only dogma is to doubt all knowledge.

Such is the nature of dogma, inescapable.

youtube.com/watch?v=uDw1nECBqN8

No, most non abrahamic religions are all about how you live this life to be the best for humanity, whereas the abrahamic ones are just about doing well in this life so you get into the better next.

This is why Jung a best: rather than trying to figure out the origin of fear in order to erradicate it and become part of some spurious normality, he looks for the way in which things can coexist without annihilating each other, and so preserve being not by improvement but by the through definition of its limits--why want to not fear an event which eliminates you as you know you are? How does having the reassurance of another life make this one better? If life is so terrible that you need the other, why live?

Nah, your body is dead but your spirit is alive. After the rapture you regain your renewed body

bump