How much should I be spending on rent...

How much should I be spending on rent? I make ~40k a year 21 yo only have 15k in student loans living in the hood now and feel like I rather spend a little extra to be more comfy

You're not doing bad enough to be living in the hood.

I would find a cheap, but safe and comfortable place to live in close to your job. After all stolen cars are more expensive.

You're 21 so you could afford a comfy apt for $1000 and under possibly or you could share a house with 4 other young people and pay $500 or less each.

Anyways yeah don't take saving your money for investment to an extreme like that. It's not healthy.

You're about to get a wave of anons telling you some bs like:
>Save water by pissing on a water bottle and throwing it away.
>Don't use ac
>Live off ramen
>Donate blood every week

I'm 29 also make 40K but have no debt and I'm also living in the ghetto for 625/mo.

I saved up 20K but have nothing to do with it and I don't care whether I live in the ghetto or not. Am I just being too cheap or is it different since I'm older so I should work harder to save?

People with my income spending 1000/mo seems crazy to me.

A while grand? Nice. I was thinking like 700 max

If you only make 40k you should live at home with your parents disgusting pleb

$1300 - $1800 depending on state. That's what I notice is when apartments stop being shit. Sub-$1000 are always pretty gross. $2000+ is silly. $1500 should get you a 2 bedroom in a gated community. $1200 should get you a 1 bedroom gated etc.

buy a trailer instead and pay "land rent" at a trailer park of only $50 or so per month

what a nigger tier menality

This is what I have been noticing while browsing think I'm going to go with a duplex

>$1300 - $1800 depending on state

where do you live?

i pay 700/mo for an 2 bed house with a detached two car garage in an acceptable area.

How'd you find it? I'm in the kcmo area and everything looks boomer priced built in 1890

It's recommended to pay around 1/4 of your monthly income after taxes on rent. NEVER pay more than 1/3 of income

classifieds of a local newspaper

patience is key. it took two months to find a nice place at a reasonable price. just keep buying the paper each week and looking, good deals are out there. and this

So far having better luck on Craigslist than apartments.com but i rather rent a house apartments seem like cuck sheds

I say AT MOST, 1/3 of net income. So you make $40k per year, so after tax you will bring home about $36k per year.

This means that you should be spending no more than $12k per year on: Rent, Power, Water, Cable/Internet.

It's good to follow this rule, going over is gonna make life tough.

Thanks for these helpful post right now I'm paying like ~500 month for a house that would be nice but has no ac/heat or stove so being frugal isn't even worth coming home to a 100 degree house

>average in rent in suburbs where I live is $400-500/w

The one thing I wish we had that was more like the US is housing prices. Median 3-bed house price for my suburb 40min from the city is $700K

>"Nigger tier mentality"
Yeah it's "nigger tier" to notice that shit accommodation is generally less than $1500 per month. Enjoy your cuntfuck life.

Yep

Scottsdale AZ gated community with 10/10 schools

this is the correct answer

a number i hear thrown around a lot is 30% of income which is usually a good avg, with max being like 40%

>cheap rent in Toronto is $1000/month

kill me

I moved out the ghetto when I got my girlfriend. She would visit and be harassed on the way to my place by nigs. I pay $1200 a month- double what I was at- for a gated community area.

It's nice to not wake up to fights, pits barking, cops raiding, people yelling, music blaring, or the general scum dwelling.

What if I'm a single guy with no kids or gf thought think it's okay to go a heady and spend 40%

Op here put a add on Craigslist some chick wants me to rent a room with her she has a badass apartment and only want me to pay 500, any experience living with women?

>living in scottsdale
LMAO!

make sure youre not getting played

then thats what you want to spend on housing, budgeting is not one thing that works for all, you need to make it work for yourself.

say you need rly good internet, then that will be higher than others
say you want to save more, then everything else will be less
eat fancier
nicer car

its all about balancing it all