Can someone explain intersectionalism to me? I don't understand it at all

Can someone explain intersectionalism to me? I don't understand it at all.

I have no idea what it is which is why I had to use this random picture I had saved.

that picture raises a more interesting question than the one you typed in the thread text

Being a black woman is roughly twice as bad as being black or a woman. There, you can think about something more useful now.

Comes from Elisabeth Schüssler Fiorenza, a Catholic theologian

It means that whoever you are talking to has less privilege than you and therefore has a more correct opinion, even if regular ways of "calculating" privilege levels would seem to indicate the opposite. It's a get-out-of-jail free card for whoever says it.

It may have been that feminist that made a lot of pictures of battered Disney princesses.
Also, am I the only one who thinks Elsa was a gigantic cunts who made thousands of people freeze to death and destroyed every goddamn crop in the entire empire just because some nobles gave her a mean stare?
Her parents being even bigger cunts for not learning their HEIR how to better control her powers.

>It may have been that feminist that made a lot of pictures of battered Disney princesses.

This one was by a fetishist on Veeky Forums.

The combination of several traits have unique traits to them different then the traits stand alone.

Look at a dog classified as a pitbull. All the traits alone doesn't make it a pitbull since many dogs are stocky or snout nosed but the combination of traits together make it one and thus confer it unique traits or treatment.

>First the rabbit, then Elsa. Is anyone safe from Veeky Forums's grasp?

Other way around, since Frozen came out first.

>Is anyone safe from Veeky Forums's grasp

It's basically this.

uh... maybe disregard these previous posts? People are confused.

Intersectionality is a term that describes the need to understand things from multiple perspectives. So what might appear to be a feminist issue could also be about racism or political ideologies. Intersectionality is acknowledging that there may be other ways to understand an event or phenomenon.

Take the shootings at the PULSE night club in orlando. It can be understood through homophobia and violence against gays, it can be understood as a hate crime directed against latino minorities, it can also be understood through the lens of jihadi terrorism against the west. It can be understood through issues on gun control and gun violence.

Intersectionality is acknowledging that none of these narratives are primary, but can all inform each other.

In theory it is about examining the challenges faced by a variety of demographic groups and when they intersect.

For example black folks face a set of troubles and so do homosexuals. Then on top of this is the way black homosexuals are treated in the black community by rappers, making fun of them just because they go around wearing high heels which is very mean.

In practice it is just media. Bloggers and clickbait sites get more hits when they target things people feel strongly about and intersectionalism is just a fancy meme to make it look like a deep science, which of course they are all scholarly experts in. Hopefully as more and more in our society get internet they will go through this phase and stop being so salty over everything.

Not that I am trying to "diminish" anyone's problems, it is just that getting mad and irrational is counter-productive.

... sauce?

Is the Catholic church responsible for Tumblrism? Does the Catholic church manipulate leftists, as leftists manipulate the Catholic church?

The Catholic Church is responsible for every terrible thing that's happened since the fall of the Roman Empire.

Black homosexuals have the benefit that they aren't a sexual threat to heterosexual women though.

I think this is a possible benign definition, but in practice "intersectionality" is more often used in the way of stacking various theoretical privileges on top of each other based on various traits while ignoring that those traits may actually have no impact on an event or that there may be different qualitative grades of the privilege (for instance, the recent colorism privilege amongst black people; how can you possibly measure that, and might not different people prefer different shades of blackness?). It leads to bizarre situations where Hillary Clinton and the white guy who serves her coffee have equal levels of privilege; he has male privilege over her, but she has class privilege over him.

I like your definition in that it recognizes intersectionality as something which is entirely subjective; the problem is that people try to turn it into something objective in order to make it somehow represent the truth and mean something to everyone.

It was from way back when the Frozen fandom had a strong presence on /co/.

No idea where the rest might be floating around.

You literally get it by reading the first paragraph in Wikipedia.