F

Do people really fear what they don't understand or is that false?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/I_know_that_I_know_nothing
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

A lollipop sitting in the middle of a dark closet is suspicious as fuck.

Not to mention gross.

Sometimes I just don't understand what I don't understand.

You just summed up my entire life. I'm ready to die now.

this usually there is a completely rational reason to fear something suspicious with no explanation

no, now it begins

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/I_know_that_I_know_nothing

Man that Kid has some fucked up toys

I think we really do.
Sometimes I try to think about the functionings of the mind of a lovecraftian monster or sometimes just a bug and I get a little agitated

sometimes they're attracted to what they don't understand and want to learn more about it

It's my favorite meme. To say that we fear what we don't understand is a reductionist's approach to psychology, characterizing a specific negative reaction as some universal instinct. Often I notice that people who make this claim use it to shut off any line of inquiry, probably because they already uncovered the 'big picture.'

Example:
Why were the Greeks uneasy about foreigners? Because they just feared what the don't understand!

Or perhaps because Greece was built upon the ashes of a world devastated by barbarian raids, and they were conscious of the fragility of their society.

/rant

Bitch please. If I was that kid and opened the door and saw that I'd be afraid as fuck as well.

Yes, but only if they at some level realize that they don't understand it.
People also tend to embrace things they think they understand but don't actually understand.

Good rant, though.

This.
>sure you fear them because you don't understood them
>oh no you little shit, I understand them well
Also fearing unknown isn't bad trait. Better be afraid(and prepared) for unknown that not.

It's a pretty good idea to fear what you don't understand.

Not really, because people usually use arguments like that against people who are against immigration, or call other cultures less enlightened or barbaric, as if an irrational phobia is the cause of people being against things.

I mean, it is a typical argument of the average leftist today, that people who dislike Islam must in some sense have a phobia, which is ridiculous.

>Not really, because people usually use arguments like that against people who are against immigration
Pretty much this.

I dislike foreigners because I know them too well, not because I don't know them well enough.

We fear what we think we understand but really don't. If we understood it, throughly understood it, then the solution (or lack therefore) to whatever evil would be apparent, and so distress would be unnecessary; but as we only see yellow eyes in the darkness, we think it might be a monster, and the half knowing is what make us freeze in trembling us. Desire isn't very different, curiosity is based on thinking there's something else to be gained. All of it is aroused by the perception of a partiality.

I always thought the distinction between terror and horror was in important one. It's different to fear something because you don't understand it than to fear something because you do understand it. A dark room is scary because there might be something dangerous in there. A charging bear is scary because it is dangerous.

This

What psycho kid goes to sleep with a toy with a chainsaw?