Which empires treated conquered peoples the best? Which treated them the worst?

Which empires treated conquered peoples the best? Which treated them the worst?

>Which empires treated conquered peoples the best?
Rome

>Which treated them the worst?
Not Rome

Most empires lasted long enough that different people got very different treatment.

For example, the occupation of the Philippines by the US, and the occupation of Japan were only two generations apart, but they were very, very different occupations.

The Mongols would probably massacre you if you hadn't surrendered the second you contacted them.

>Which empire treated conquered people the best

Achaemenid empire (few slaves, religious freedom throughout the empire, allowed jews to return to Judea)

>Which Empire treated them worst

Spanish Empire (enslaved natives, introduced inquisition, imported slaves)

French Colonial Empire

In a single instance, the United States' post WWII treatment and rebuilding of Japan

[pic tangentially related]

Russian Empire was pretty tolerant towards minorities, though there were exceptions (Crimean Tatars, Circassians).

>Rome
If by "Rome" you mean the Ottoman Empire, I agree

The Ming Chinese empire.

As long as you learned some Chinese culture and did not rebel, the government left you alone and the Han Chinese people would leave you alone.

>Which treated them the worst?

Assyrians. Those guys were major dicks. You know you're an asshole civilization when your culture is considered excessively cruel even by ancient middle eastern standards.

What about Caesar in Gaul? Didn't they kill close to one million people by some accounts?

The Han often migrated, and for minority tribes it was a chance to increase their social standing. It led to every single people there claiming they're the true and most 'Han'. Like, they even claimed that ancient bloodlines fled to the south and hid in their villages, and the north is just Manchu's rape babies, shit like that.

>there
In every China I mean, not just southerners.

Completely justified

>the best
America
>the worst
Nazi Germany & Communist Russia

literally figuratively the Ottoman empire

Elaborate user.

if youre not counting the 19th century nationalism shitshow that is. they were smart enough back then to realize that muslim turks population were fewer than others in the many parts of the empire. so they made the millet system which is a separate law depending which religion you were belong into (muslims use the sharia, christians use the canon law and jews use the halkha). they still need to pay the jizya but the muslim part still required to pay the zakat too anyway. christians balkans were even given special privilege compared to others with the Devşirme to be given education and easier social advancements, with many of them ended up becoming bureacrats running the empire

>America
Yeah cause that native American genocide was totally lovely.

This meme again

Would you give a coherent argument rather than being all Veeky Forums autist

The First French Empire.

>child abduction is a privilege meme

the rıde never ends

>(you)

>best
France

>worst
Germany

>meme meme meme

not an argument

oh shit, I guess you've proven me wrong, child abduction apparently really is a privilege.

I guess it must be self evident.

>treated them the best
Definetly not the one in your pic ;)

Pretty irregular when you look at their occupied zones. Protectorates like British Somaliland were allowed their own rulers and have generally been left alone culturally. Colonies like India were somewhat the same but their resources were drained like hell. The worst thing that they've done IIRC is fucking over the aboriginals and indians.

The British were alright, there were empires with far worser treatment of natives like the Belgians, Spanish or Portoguese for example.

>Best
France
>worst
probably the british. They didn't invade the same places France did, but surely there was a better alternative.